Author Topic: Blokz RAVE released  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Phlogios

Re: Blokz RAVE released
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2024, 02:34:57 AM »
There is an expected performance degradation in the menu for 1.3 due to the added text. My text rendering code’s performance does not scale well at the moment. Performance optimizations will have to wait until I have solved the compatibility issues.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 02:40:19 AM »
There is an expected performance degradation in the menu for 1.3 due to the added text. My text rendering code’s performance does not scale well at the moment. Performance optimizations will have to wait until I have solved the compatibility issues.

Just wanted to say thanks for putting in all this effort, it's really cool to see new Mac OS 9 apps being made, and the OS getting some love like that. :)

Offline Phlogios

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2024, 02:56:35 AM »
It’s not an advanced game, just a tetris clone, but you have to start somewhere. It is an entirely custom game engine so bugs are to be expected :) if I can get this game to run reliably, it will be easier to make more impressive games using this engine in the future. Thank you for your patience!

Offline Phlogios

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 12:39:22 PM »
Thank you Phlogios for adding the instructions so quickly.

Unfortunately the 1.3 update has broken the buttons - they don't respond to clicks. But if you click just below the Quit button it will start a game!
Also note the version number does not show in Get Info window.

Version 1.3.1 has been uploaded to itch and macintoshgarden. This hopefully fixes your menu button issue, and adds a version number to the executable (although I forgot to verify that...)

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 01:24:52 PM »
>Version 1.3.1 has been uploaded to itch and macintoshgarden. This hopefully fixes your menu button issue,

Yes - Buttons working again - Super!

For info, I use 640*480 (with dual monitors) and it looks like this on my machine.
http://81.143.238.236/images/BlokzRave8500os81.jpg

Thanks,

Offline Phlogios

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2024, 01:43:45 PM »
Thank you @ovalking for the screenshot. Your graphics card does not support the texture format I am using I think. It’s possible that I can make the text work if I use a fallback method for text rendering, but the textures in the 3D world will have to be disabled to make the game look alright. I am not promising anything though as the game engine is designed for hardware-accelerated macs. Very surprised that the game even runs on your machine, I could never get it to even start on my 6500/300.

Offline Phlogios

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2024, 08:52:18 AM »
Version 1.3.2 has been released. This version possibly fixes Classic Mode, so please give it a try. It worked on my machine.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2024, 12:40:26 PM »
Awesome, thank you. It's really impressive to see new software for Mac Os 9 nowadays. ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Phlogios

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2024, 12:16:25 AM »
Version 1.4 has been released with some general improvements and polish.
https://phlogios.itch.io/blokzrave/devlog/717280/gameplay-fixes

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2024, 12:20:32 AM »
Nice! :D
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2024, 01:09:45 AM »
For history preservation's sake, I will again ask if, by any chance, anyone has version 1.2? It's the only version that wasn't archived in the Garden.

Perhaps @ovalking? @Bolkonskij? Anyone?

Offline Phlogios

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2024, 01:13:34 AM »
I have version 1.2 but I don’t see the point in preserving it as it is just a worse version of the game compared to later versions. The game is in active development and will be continuously improved, adding more compatibility, more stability and better performance. Version 1.2 does nothing that 1.4 does not do better. If I make breaking changes, I will write that in the release notes.

Offline Phlogios

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2024, 02:45:29 AM »
Thank you, @Phlogios. You are right, 1.4 does everything needed in all platforms we saw, the game is maturing more and more quite nicely. :)

The reason I asked about 1.2 is because, maybe sometime in the future, we can look back at some of the older versions, and then go like "oooh, look how far this project has come! It used to be like THIS before!".

You can think of 1.2 etc. like a "photograph" for keeping good memories. :)

(By the way, on that link for 1.2, the actual downloaded file still seems to be 1.4.)