Author Topic: Way off the beaten track question...  (Read 4067 times)

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
Way off the beaten track question...
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:49 AM »
I would like to ask this question here because i'm sure i'll be given the facts and nothing but the facts to help me out please.

My daughters iMac, MA199LL/A model A1173, has a blown video card. It starts up with the three chord chime followed by the nice apple logo but then fades to huge different coloured bars/boxes. No desktop except those coloured bars/boxes.

If I plug in an external computer monitor ( is that what that plug is for at the back of the computer ), which i don't have, will the graphics ( desktop et al ) for the computer show up on the external monitor ?  Or do i have to install a video card in her computer.

OK guys, after you've stopped laughing at my question, what should i do ?
LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Way off the beaten track question...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:09 AM »
This one? http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_cd_1.83_17.html
I have no clue about it. It seems that the CPU is not soldered...
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_cd/imac-intel-processor-upgrade-video-upgrade.html#video
Says that the graphics card is soldered...
Maybe is the graphics card or maybe the monitor...
Try to take of the hard drive, put it on another Intel Mac and install VNC and set the settings
Later with the drive on your imac you could see if the computer finish booting and loads system but the monitor is broken or if it is the board.
Maybe an board for imac with GMA 950 (IG) could work there...dunno
If hard drive is ok and cpu is ok you have 50% of the things you need for a Intel system to work. Look on Chrisnova Hackintosh side of this board for some boards that use you cpu for a system on the cheap...
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
these white imacs are known for this graphics failure
they are also known to be able to be upgraded by swapping the cpu for a T7200, T7400, or T7600 socket M laptop cpu which upgrades it to a full "Core 2 duo" 64bit capable machine

u will want to check the adapter in the specs to make sure, but im pretty sure its a mini DVI port that u want to get
i have one for my imac 2008 i believe its the same

b

1st step: get teh adapter
and try to plug it in so u can find out if it works
depending on whether or not its the screen thats blown or the video card itself
u may be in business.. on the other hand it might be a good thing that its the video that is blown and not the screen.. u could replace the graphics unit
by opening the imac if u went that far to do al that work u might as well go ahead  + upgrade the hard drive inside to ssd etc  while u have it open coz its a pain in the ass to open - u can find videos online on how to do it using a plunger or suction cup device to pop off the screen - its easier then u think but would require some skill, Effort + patience + determination thats for sure

on the other hand for the same cost as the repairs u may find another white 2006 imac for the same price u can pick these up for about 200 bucks in my area in classified ads

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

If I plug in an external computer monitor ( is that what that plug is for at the back of the computer ), which i don't have, will the graphics ( desktop et al ) for the computer show up on the external monitor ? 

From every mac/your imac/ connectivity..
    1 (mini-DVI)
    Supports external display in dual display and mirroring modes. VGA output supported by optional Apple DVI-to-VGA adapter (sold separately).
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »
yeah the adapter is about 30$ at any apple store
i believe i got mine for a discounted price at a 'best buy' store for like 10$
so shop for deals... try ebay and other online stores that have had their stock go ignored
and u may get a discount
its worth it for macguys scenario tho because it may be the screen thats dead only .. but it would
suck if u buy the adapter and then find out the video card is blown then u would want to return
the adapter + spend the money fixing the graphics adapter.. which would cost for both parts + labor

i need a similar vga adapter for my ipad generation 1 if u happen to find a good deal on one of those as u look, let me know;) heh
sucks that apple makes u pay 30$ instead of just including teh adapter with the product