Author Topic: Spanish MDD MacOS 9.2.2  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Spanish MDD MacOS 9.2.2
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »
I recieved an MDD Dual 866 with the spanish edition of 9.2.2 (I guess the special one for MDD) with Protools 5.3.x (HD or TDM dunno) from a HD2 system.

It has also a 10.2 system.

The computer was stored since 2004.  8) ;D :D   I browsed thru the disk and is CLEAN. Not a single personal document. Just some TC electronic X3 instalations and  WaveMechanics and a Net BIOS controls panel at startup that I dont know what it is

The MDD came with a Matrox dual vga board. It did not gave me image after I resetted PRAM and I took my Rage 128 to it for booting and it work fine I think.

I would like to preserve the Spanish 9.2.2 MDD with PT 5.3.x for others...

Maybe Protools TDM users can enjoy a Protools version higher than 5.1.x
What is the best way to "save" the "Image"?
Carbon Copy Clonner, Disk Utility, SuperDuper? I know there is no "bootable" cd of OS9 for MDDs. You have to restore an "MDD Special" image from OSX.

Perhaps some of you would want to learn spanish... ;D :D

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

Re: Spanish MDD MacOS 9.2.2
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 02:41:15 AM »
in my opinion the best thing would be to install tiger 10.4 onto another hard drive..
and boot up..
u have to update to 10.4.11 for carbon copy cloner to work properly..
or it will just hang when u start the clone process..
but it is the best cloner! well maybe not the best but it is one that i trust 100% from experience
it makes 100% backup of the disk no matter what the os..

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:05:21 AM »
in my opinion the best thing would be to install tiger 10.4 onto another hard drive..
and boot up..
u have to update to 10.4.11 for carbon copy cloner to work properly..
or it will just hang when u start the clone process..
but it is the best cloner! well maybe not the best but it is one that i trust 100% from experience
it makes 100% backup of the disk no matter what the os..

How would you do this DieHard? Disk Aid from OS9 has an option?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
Sorry missed this one....

With OS 9 you have a few options...

1) If it is your average (non-DAW) OS9 Volume; simple format another volume and drag all files, with be 100% fine

2) If it is a DAW that has authorized plugins... now it gets more interesting... if the plugs use a USB key... Option 1 is fine just drag all files to new volume... if the plugins authorize via a hardware board (AUD-1, PowerCore) then Option 1 is fine again...

3) If it is a DAW that has authorized plugins that uses hidden files, file location address... and other secret agent techniques, now the only choice is a block by block copy... if your HD is very small (2 GB or less) you can use Apple Diskcopy (it's max is 2 GB) and it will image everything, for larger drive you need CC as already suggested and need to run it from an OSX bootable volume or custom made Boot-able OS X DVD... I did use a program under OS9 directly call "Retrospect" but I cannot remember if it has a drive cloning option... any comments are welcome

One Last thing... if the unit you mentioned has a PowerCore card (hence the Master X3 files you mentioned) do NOT delete them, back then up, TC electronics provided custom made Master X3 Plugins that only work the specific board (by serial number) and they no longer gen the Master X3 plugin for people that buy old ones from ebay... The Master X3 is probably the best Multiband Compressor mastering tool ever released under Mac OS 9 so be sure to save those files if you got a free Powercore board with the Mac... if not ask the guy if he sold it... you will love that thing :) if you buy it

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
ccc or superduper will do it perfectly
just dont write to the OS9 volume while booted into X EVER
if u need to write files to os9 volume, copy files to external volume on another computer, or use thumbdrive or burn a cd.. reboot to OS9.. and copy over
or u could upload to Mediafire or Adrive or another online file cloud storage
but the whole pt is to just mirror the drive exactly as it is .. block for block
this should preserve any authorizations!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
e

2) If it is a DAW that has authorized plugins... now it gets more interesting... if the plugs use a USB key... Option 1 is fine just drag all files to new volume... if the plugins authorize via a hardware board (AUD-1, PowerCore) then Option 1 is fine again...

3) If it is a DAW that has authorized plugins that uses hidden files, file location address... and other secret agent techniques, now the only choice is a block by block copy... if your HD is very small (2 GB or less) you can use Apple Diskcopy (it's max is 2 GB) and it will image everything, for larger drive you need CC as already suggested and need to run it from an OSX bootable volume or custom made Boot-able OS X DVD... I did use a program under OS9 directly call "Retrospect" but I cannot remember if it has a drive cloning option... any comments are welcome

When I booted the MDD with the matrox DH it gave me blank screen but it bongs(sound of mac starting)
I made a PRAM reset and the date went to 1920 or something like dad. I made the error (?) to start PT with that date and protools 5.3.1 complained about the date (also could not make a DAE deck because I have not the HD2)
I put  the date correctly and tried again. All plugs are as if DEMO never started, so at least you could run the plugs for at least 15 days. Maybe they were autorized, but with the 1920 date perhaps I screwed that.  :-[

I don't know if some of them could need an ilok (I think you can make a floppy disk aut. for some of them)
What I know is that with the DAE from 5.3.1 I can't run 5.1.1LE. Also the DIGITEST from 5.3.1 can't see my digi001.

I have made a CCC (carbon copy clonner) Image of that install (before installing 001). I hope this to be interesting for spanish MDD users and PT HD users
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »

or u could upload to Mediafire or Adrive or another online file cloud storage
but the whole pt is to just mirror the drive exactly as it is .. block for block
this should preserve any authorizations!
Please DieHard or you Chris, explain me again how to make PUBLIC uploads on Adrive as if I were a 7 years old boy.
I need to upload some requested material and make it public for all, and it seems that the uploads I made are unreachable for users with same status as me
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »

The Master X3 is probably the best Multiband Compressor mastering tool ever released under Mac OS 9 so be sure to save those files if you got a free Powercore board with the Mac... if not ask the guy if he sold it... you will love that thing :) if you buy it

My friend that gave me the MDD bought it with two Digidesign cards (HD2) and a SCSI card for 50 bucks. The seller had it announcied on internet for more than 6 months. I called my friend and told him: Hey there is a HD2 MDD G4 for 50 bucks...
The seller had no idea that the mac had those ($$$) card. We were the first to ask for the system, even having 2 photos of the digicard on the clasified...

My friend (who already have an HD2 working on a i7 hackintosh with a blue-grey 192i/o is going to HDX) even told me: Do you wanna keep the HD2? I looked at the price of a 96I/O and 192I/O ($$$$$$) and I told him to sell them to Avid for a new HDX system. My best interface is a Focusrite Liquid 56, and that linked to my DIGI001 are the 16 inputs I would ever need. Also all my recording engineer friends told me to go 88kHz minimum, so my only 96kHz card (OS9) is the Audiophile2496 with Logic.

I guess the studio that used the MDD had a TC-electronic "reverb/multiband" thing that was a rack unit and small "lexicom" controller, M6000 ?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
Please DieHard or you Chris, explain me again how to make PUBLIC uploads on Adrive as if I were a 7 years old boy.
I need to upload some requested material and make it public for all, and it seems that the uploads I made are unreachable for users with same status as me

this is diehard's department.. i have not configured anything to do with the adrive collaboration/accounts