Author Topic: problem with g3 pismo laptop  (Read 3542 times)

Offline medikman1

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
problem with g3 pismo laptop
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »
Hello Mac pros.  I am new here but have been reading the info here with great interest.  Well I gained enough confidence to try an upgrade from OS 9.0.4 to 9.1 with the Apple CD.  Have a Pismo G3w/OS 9.0.4 and tried CD install of OS 9.1, following all directions. DANG!  Was within 5 minutes of finish and it hung.  Dialog box said the Install engine failed to open & CD drive running very fast/loud.  Hung right there would not do anything.  Had to hold boot button down to force stop.  Then, Tried to boot up again with OS 9.1 CD.  The app assistant installer would not work & dialog box said restart, so I restarted and Mas OS 9.1 starting screen came up CD drive running very slow.  Now hangs as startup only runs 1/6th of the bar across, and a dialog box opens with no print, now CD disk is silent, not moving.  Will not boot from CD or HD!  Now what?!?!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:22:20 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
Re: problem with g3 pismo laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:11:35 AM »
sounds like either your cd is bad/corrupt or your cd-drive is dying...

you could try to install via target disk mode (if you have another mac running mac os9)
MDD Dual @1.42Ghz, Powerbook TI @1Ghz

Offline medikman1

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:35:53 AM »
I will try to learn how to do that.  I do have a Lombard with OS 9.1 and another Pismo with 10.0.4 I think.  My aim was to end up with all 3 laptops using 9.1 due to necessity of running unsupported software.  I have been using MacMoney since 1984!  I wanted to create 3 laptops to have 3 redundant systems, a little like our pals at NASA.  I haven't gotten off the launching pad so far.

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:58:01 AM »
press t on startup. hook your pismo to another laptop via a firewire cable. you should see a firewire sign on the pismo-screen. on your other machine the pismo hard drive should come up as an external hard disk.
MDD Dual @1.42Ghz, Powerbook TI @1Ghz

Offline medikman1

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
GREAT!  Thanks so much!  ......will do this later today...pre-empted by "honey do" list.  Thanks again.  This is a very helpful site.