Author Topic: new forum subgroup  (Read 6161 times)

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
new forum subgroup
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
i think there should be a new forum group, repairs and tweaks or similar. i will start with:

it is possible to swap a powerbook g4 monitor (from a 550mhz vga) to a 1ghz model dvi. did not find any infos on the net if it is possible tried it and it works!
MDD Dual @1.42Ghz, Powerbook TI @1Ghz

supernova777

Re: new forum subgroup
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
i dont understand.. u used your powerbook as an external monitor to another computer?

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:35:34 PM »
no no... :) i used the monitor of one powerbook (550mhz vga) on another powerbook (1ghz dvi) that had broken hinges. now i have a complete 1ghz powerbook and a monitorless 550mhz system which i plan to connect via ethernet to the other powerbook. does vnc work via direct connection? without a router and stuff, just the ethernet cable? or is there a better solution for this kind of "problem"?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
no no... :) i used the monitor of one powerbook (550mhz vga) on another powerbook (1ghz dvi) that had broken hinges. now i have a complete 1ghz powerbook and a monitorless 550mhz system which i plan to connect via ethernet to the other powerbook. does vnc work via direct connection? without a router and stuff, just the ethernet cable? or is there a better solution for this kind of "problem"?

Yes, it does. As long as you have an IP address to connect to there shouldn't be any problems. You might need to give the machines static IP's manually, though.

Why not just hook up an external monitor to the 550mhz TiBook and use it as a small desktop workstation? :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:10:03 AM »
im unfamiliar with pretty much all powerpc laptops.. maybe i should change that seeing as theres probably people throwing them away + giving them away for free in this day + age.. 

i fail to see the accomplishment.. one was vga? and the other dvi?? photos would solve all the ?'s

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »
One has a VGA connector on the back and one has a DVI connector on the back. He asked if the monitor from a VGA model would work in a DVI model, hence, if the screens differ on the two different revisions of the PowerBook G4 Titanium :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:00:33 AM »
thanks knezzen for the clarification.

well i want a portable (for live stage use) system. and i think it comes in handy to have to powerbooks "stacked" one with monitor and a vnc viewer, the other running vnc-server. one with synths and one with max/msp for example...

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:04:27 AM »
knezzen,which vnc software would you suggest for an os9 only solution?

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 04:52:18 AM »

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 07:07:06 AM »
yeah saw that, but vncviewer is the problem, server is easy.

Offline lokki

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:21:54 AM »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
it is possible to swap a powerbook g4 monitor (from a 550mhz vga) to a 1ghz model dvi. did not find any infos on the net if it is possible tried it and it works!

You can connect a Mac Os 9  video card with DVI output to a HDMI monitor with a cheap DVI to HDMI adapter, but without audio of course.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.