Author Topic: USB sticks and external drives 'seeing double' under OS 9.2  (Read 2938 times)

Offline pincrete

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
USB sticks and external drives 'seeing double' under OS 9.2
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:59:33 PM »
I have a MDD G4 1.25 DP …*… I dual boot it into OS 9.2 and 10.5. ... the OS 9 is the workhorse of the set up, with 10.5 being used for internet etc. during 'slack time'.

SOME USB sticks and external HDDs  'show double' under 9.2, that is they appear to be separate disks/partitions and have to be copied to twice (to each 'disk'), this happens whether they are plugged into the 'native' USB or the USB PCI card I have mainly for the OS 10.5.

I've tried re-formatting many times, in OS9, on a PC and also on a Macbook Pro, in every case drives seem OK on other machines/other OSs .... but the fault persists when they return to OS 9. I've tried HFS, HFS ext, FAT. Always the same when I go back to OS 9.

The main purpose of the sticks is to move (smallish) rtfs and pdfs between the OS9 , PCs, and my Macbook pro.

It only seems to be SOME sticks/drives that this happens with, but I don't have enough sticks to establish a pattern as my larger sticks/drives are NTFS and therefore useless in OS 9.

I am flummoxed .. is this likely to be a software/hardware issue? Any thoughts?