Author Topic: iMedia 100  (Read 21895 times)

Offline nativ

• new to the forums
iMedia 100
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have some imedia 100 Video editing cards (PCI) I have a selection of Install CD's and even manuals!  I tried emailing Avid for a serial or latest/last version for me to use, they said they would help... but then they got bought out and now I get no reply at all!

so if anyone knows any compatible software or where I can find imedia 100 for OSx or Os9 That would be a great help!

many thanks
Powerbook 180c / 8500/120 G3/233 Beige G4 Quicksilver G4 MDD Dual 867 & 1.25 - Echo Gina24 Emagic MT 4 & 6|2m, audiowork 8 and audiomedia III card /|\ various Atari's & Sega's and outboard MIDI

Offline SnakeCoils

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: iMedia 100
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »
Hello,
my first post here I hope to be of any help :-)
I think you are meaning "Media100" hardware in the form of P6000 video editing PCI boards. In this case Avid has little to do with them, the guys to ask for support is the BorisFX company that some years ago acquired the Media100 asset and continued the development.
Unfortunately these boards are tied with a serial number that activate not only some functions but also the software version support so if you have a valid license to Media 100i version 6.0 you have to pay to can use later release like the latest v8 that allow the use under OSX. And they are not cheap upgrades... no matter the hardware is obsolete, if you want they allow you to use it again you have to squeeze out $$$
If you have spare board and no serial number tied to them you have nothing you can use. It as a pity that there aren't third party tools to allow at least the video and audio capture: the quality of this equipment is really excellent but this is a closed system, maybe the best way to have a working environment is try to purchase a pre-owned, already upgraded system WITH the serial number included!
The Media100i system is obsolete and largely surpassed by various AJA, BlackMagic and Matrox units that are mainly frame buffers and DSP for on-the-fly format conversion: the era of dedicated video workstation is ended...
I would be very HAPPY if someone will come out with a dedicated driver for the Media100 boards like the one for MiroMotion DC30+ for OSX, at least one could still use them as raw capture/playback device: not a glorious destiny but far better than put them in the trashcan.
Note that Media100 policy is even worse than AVID one: if you replace the Media100 board you have to obtain a whole new serial number while if you replace an AVID board (I am talking about old PowerMac based ABVB systems) you simply re-plug the ADB dongle to gain back the full functionality.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
I always wished to have one of this Media 100 PCI cards...
Anyway, I have the Media 100 software version 4.5 for Mac Os 9 and despite SnakeCoils advice ... I also have Media 100 dongle, which I've never even could try...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »
The Media 100 thing still gets me angry, I was getting a ton of this stuff in G4s that were bought as auction lots back in New York back in the day... the trouble was that all that hard drives were pulled before the units were grouped together and cheaply liquidated.  It absolutely sucked to have all these cards and they could not be used in anyway... I held onto them for years and never was able to use any of them... 2 years ago I gave them to the scrap guy... nightmare :(

Here is a guy on ebay.... "Pulled form working Studio"... yeah, right... lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Media-100-XR-Video-Editing-Capture-Card-P6000-XR-DVBK-1-A-2-PCI-cards-/291113550146?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Think they did broadcast quality MPEG2 conversion on the fly... but I am no expert on these.... my old box had at least 25 full length cards that had all sorts of option cards... in today's world, the entire box could probably be replaced by a single modern video encode/decode chipset

Offline SnakeCoils

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
Exactly. You can find many auctions on eBay with Media100 boards for sale but without its own serial number they are useless, the top system was the XR version with the highest bandwidth in capture and a separate board for realtime FX, but again the software is the less important part, the serial number is, because it activates the card and the purchased options.
I own a working Media100 XS system, a middle range model, equipped with Sony firewire decoder card and a valid 6.0 license, I admit I have only a collector's interest in them so I really never used for produce anything.
I also own an AVID ABVB system with 3D FX board (Elite license, almost all the top available options are activated) that was dismissed from a local broadcast TV station and I purchased it for a 150 euros complete with SCSI drives, manuals, original box and cables and most important, the ADB dongle to activate the license: without it the only working part would be the PowerMac 9600 that host the cards. The various board inside are connected together with a flat cable that completely bypass the slow PCI bus and generates so much heat that a large dedicated fan is put by AVID above the cards to cool them.
I believe at the time the whole system would cost over $25.000 but the target was the broadcast world, while the Media100 was more open to semipro and advanced users too.
A thing to keep in mind when you deal with broadcast equipment is that a machine like that is all but user friendly: the typical user is a professional with a specific knowledge of broadcast world and without a basis it can be tricky to understand how things are done or what steps are needed to do a specific action. I found for example the AVID environment really strange for a newbie like me while the Media100 was much more intuitive, however both workstation have been purchased for collection purposes only, I did not spent much time in trying to do something useful on them :-)
When I compare that heavy and costly equipment with modern video workstation I see an abyss of differences: the PowerMacs were almost the backbone that host a dedicated boardset, they provided only the graphical interface for the operator and a minimal I/O to drive the workflow in a direction instead of another but all the hard work were done by the AVID and Media100 boards, the most powerful PowerMac available at the time would not nearly capable of doing alone a demanding task like realtime video editing.
During the time the processing power of CPU (now assisted by GPU too) is increased so much that a video stream can be handled and manipulated without problems from a middle-class system, only an I/O box is needed but there's a trick... you can do realtime until you are editing an uncompressed stream, if a particular format is needed in input or output the power of CPU collapse because compressed formats are really an intensive task so if you don't want to loose the performance you must have a board that do all the dirty work of compressing/decompressing for you and this is the reason because the professional video boards are not simply a bunch of ADC and DAC but integrates also DSP and local memory, leaving the computer CPU free to apply the effects and doing a snappier workflow.
Another thing I have noticed during the time is that dedicated systems are progressively disappeared: while in the past every boardset had its own dedicated editing software and projects were not interchangeable between various platforms, now we have a wider choice of many hardware I/O boards that can be driven by different systems.
The Media100 Suite and Apple Final Cut for example can operate with many hardware brands without any license restrictions, you can also choose to have different suites on the same computer that uses the same board. We now have a freedom of choice as never happened in the past and a superb quality at affordable prices, the software rules and hardware is running faster and faster to satisfy its wills, this reminds me Microsoft, I don't know why... :-)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 08:57:50 AM »
btw if you ever buy a system like that first thing you should do is scan that hard drive and try to restore what you can and just maybe you get the needed pref files to have that m100 system running.
borisfx bought all of it and they might even be able to help you out. after all the serials are on that board. giving up is easy. i called quiet a few companys in the past to get going with some outdated stuff

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 03:48:43 AM »
Hi there, I just got my hands on a quicksilver 833mhz Mac and it came with this.  I haven't tested it or seen if any of the software is installed but I was just curious of anyone knows about this.  I can't find any pictures on the internet about this device..  the interface alone is fairly straight forward.  i see it's a video / audio capture / playback device but it's the massive card inside that makes me wonder about other abilities it might have.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t61ohy8wy7ipdvo/IMG_1191.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcqw6hjqa2325uw/IMG_1197.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6r4ydbvs6st8xu/IMG_1220.JPG?dl=0

Is it an official M100 product or something third party?  it makes me think of the Video Toaster back in my early Amiga days, not that I had anything like this (video hardware was totally out of my price range back then)

I'm going to hook it all up soon to see if I can get it to work.  I have CDs and s/ns i believe for the software

It also came with two external SCSI-2 Hard drive enclosures (each with 2 HDs in them). 

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 06:51:41 AM »
So a quick update on mine.. maybe a bit of a unicorn..  I have this QS I bought.  took that and made it a dedicated OS9 box for music as intended and all is well..     but i took the card and interface over to my old(er) sawtooth.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t61ohy8wy7ipdvo/IMG_1191.JPG?dl=0

I was able to do an install if (don't yell at me) OSX Tiger 10.4 on it so I could install the CDs it came with..   it was close because the only valid s/n I have was for 8.1.1 and it wouldn't work with the initial install disks.. but I had the update and thankfully the update could install without the software being activated first and once patched up it accepted the S/N

So I have that working..  now I'm trying to find some devices to hook up to it to test and be sure the card is in fact working with the interface..   one of the pins was kinda bent but i think i managed to line it up successfully to slide in and all should be well..  we'll see.

If anyone has any of those option cards around that they can't use, I'd love to see if i could get this board maxed out.  :)

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/public/pictures/OS9/IMG_1220.JPG?dl=0

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 09:12:39 AM »
It accepted the SN because the SN has to be regenerated for every Version/Update/Upgrade aka Hardware bound. This SN will only work with that Version and that Hardware.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 10:41:36 AM »
yes which i am picking up is tragically rare.. lots of used hardware separated from their s/n's.  at this point i'd love to just try to get the thing maxed out with any optional cards it could support. 

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
Turning it into a XR System (the highest back then) would render your SN useless again.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
what is an XR system? 

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
They had Levels if you wanna call it that way. From what you can call a Lowend range to very Highend range. Mine is a XR the highest system configuration you could buy for money. I have SDI available and RealtimeFX and uncompressed but that required a extra board.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
i see so having the extra boards requires a new license?  I figured as long as the core card matches up.. the optional attachments would just be that.. present or not, but obviously you know the real deal..   my main thing now is to get video registering..  i only have s-vhs connectoin.. waiting for those prosumer composite cables to come in..  my vhs has composite too so i actually need to go buy 4 more

Do you know if composite will show up if i only have 2/3 cables?   obviously with a color missing..  IIRC i remember that one color was required to get a basic signal and then the other two could be added to complete the color spectrum.. 

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
composite is not ideal its component with the 3 separate signals. Dependig on what colors you use you get a mixture of blue and red or green and blue and such you get the idea.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
yea i just only ordered two BNS cables so i'm short a few to do properly component is all.. just making sure i don't NEED them to get signal..

I don't have a monitor hooked up (no BNA or s-vhs in capable hardware)..  if i read something you said before.. are you saying that if the system doesn't detect a monitor it won't show anything on the screen?

I was thinking i could just hook my vhs/dvd player into the s-vhs cable port..  and see the video show up on the source screen in the software without any kind of monitor hooked up.   I have a tv i can hook up (composite support, not component unfortunately) and will when the BNS to RCA cables show up.

I'll order more BNS to RCA cables once i can at least see that the unit can capture any video. 

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »
you should see a preview if you selected the right source. but a dvd video will result in a green screen because of the macrovision if it is a original disc. same goes for vhs tapes if they arent home recorded. component only needs bnc adapter not really another cable.

something like this

https://www.zoro.com/monoprice-cable-adapter-bnc-m-to-rca-f-4121/i/G0308585/feature-product?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6sCi4M6U4gIVT4ezCh1omQnKEAYYCCABEgKK5fD_BwE

also make sure it is not set to HD Component because you wont be able to capture or preview the Video at all

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »
yea i was doing dvd from a dvd/s-vhs and it worked... letterbox.. no green.. so that's good. 

yea that would be a better device to buy.. i bought cables that have both ends. but yea i think i'll order a bunch of those and probably spend about the same money..  i have plenty of RCA to RCA cables. 

really cool..  i am a bit bummed i don't have realtime effects options and such.. i would like to try and make some music videos with this hardware. 

Do you know if there is any way i could find a version of Media 100 that would work under OS9 with my 8.2.2 license?  I'm imagining no.. that given how specific the version was and this high a version it probably locks me into using OSX.. 

For now, I'm using two IDE drives..  both internal to the sawtooth...  I can bring in the SCSI 2 setup, but at least for 15 second clips it appeared to record ok.  I'd like to not have to use the SCSI 2 stuff if I could avoid it.. but i will if it really will make a difference in performance / reliability..   i was recording at 700x500 (around there) in my testing.

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 04:41:27 PM »
depending on the length i would advise going for some fast raid system, whatever you can come up with. editing of a slow drive is a matter of patience but recording and keeping a good quality level comparable to the source depends on a fast raid. back then they used scsi because you just couldnt beat it in speed but when it comes to the noise level i understand. the version you looking for is 7 for os9 and represents the last os9 version. there should be a way to get a serial but i need to check my source first so dont get excited just yet.