Author Topic: Replacing HD on same model Mac G4 Dual 800 Quicksilver  (Read 3220 times)

Offline whatdmatter

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Replacing HD on same model Mac G4 Dual 800 Quicksilver
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
Hello all. Glad to find this forum. Hopefully some one can help me out. I have an old Dual 800 I bought when it was first released in 2001 where the motherboard eventually went out, according to a repair shop. I recently bought another working used Dual 800 and thought I'd just be able to replace the HD it came with, with mine. However when I hook it up (it is set to the Master) it just gives me a smiling face mac and never loads. My original G4 ran OS9 and could boot into OSX, but the newer G4 I purchased runs exclusively on OSX. Should that matter? I switch out HD's all the time at work on different pc's when they run into issues and it boots right up to the switched out HD. I hope I'm missing something really simple so I can use my original start up drive and get my old Pro Tools sessions going again. Thank you for any help with this.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Re: Replacing HD on same model Mac G4 Dual 800 Quicksilver
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »
Maybe a good photo of the back of the case and also a
close up of the white sticker on the back of the
computer for the specs might help.

supernova777

Re: Replacing HD on same model Mac G4 Dual 800 Quicksilver
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:49:26 AM »
Hello all. Glad to find this forum. Hopefully some one can help me out. I have an old Dual 800 I bought when it was first released in 2001 where the motherboard eventually went out, according to a repair shop. I recently bought another working used Dual 800 and thought I'd just be able to replace the HD it came with, with mine. However when I hook it up (it is set to the Master) it just gives me a smiling face mac and never loads. My original G4 ran OS9 and could boot into OSX, but the newer G4 I purchased runs exclusively on OSX. Should that matter? I switch out HD's all the time at work on different pc's when they run into issues and it boots right up to the switched out HD. I hope I'm missing something really simple so I can use my original start up drive and get my old Pro Tools sessions going again. Thank you for any help with this.

if the new mac you have bought is a mirror drive door it requires a different installation method then the retail discs (which should work fine for any quicksilver, digital audio, gigabit, or sawtooth models)

the information u need is already on the forum here.