Author Topic: Digitest freezing issues  (Read 8710 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Digitest freezing issues
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »
I've been plagued with freezing issues ever since I got my rig running. Digitest usually freezes the entire system upon starting a test. Sometimes it'll actually start running through and then freeze in the middle of it. Sometimes it'll go all the way through and the cards will fail, and sometimes it will pass. There's no telling what it'll do, but it mostly freezes.

The cards are apparently good since it passes at least once. It should give me the same thing every time though and not be so sporadic. I haven't had PT crash or freeze the system yet, it's just Digitest that's doing it.

I think I may try switching some drivers to newer ones but I read that you shouldn't use those new drivers unless you have specific hardware since that's what those updates were for.

Any ideas?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Digitest freezing issues
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:44 AM »
I just replaced Digitest, DAE and Digi INIT with all of the latest versions. First digitest, it froze. Then Digi INIT, it froze. Then i replaced the DAE and it started working, but froze on the 2nd card after the 1st one passed. DAE has nothing to do with Digitest and the cards though.

Basically, there's no telling when digitest will give me a freeze and when it'll go through OK. It's really sporadic and I'm guessing this isn't normal.

Is it possible to test a Mix Farm all by itself instead of having a mix Core? i'm thinking of testing the cards separately.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 02:07:36 AM »
Digitest is flakey at best. I have had issues with it as well. A better test is starting Pro Tools and just throw plugins on the cards until they are full.
The OSX version of Digitest is far more accurate and stable.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 02:36:22 AM »
I think I might have found the culprit. What will I need to test all of this in OSX? Just the 5.1.3 installation?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:49:55 AM »
I think I need a 5.3 installation, or at least the drivers for OSX. I only need to run digitest.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 02:54:34 AM »
5.3 is OS9-only. 5.1.3 is the same as 5.2, only that 5.2 has support for DigiStudio (old online collaboration system from digidesign).
5.3 has the exact same functionality as 5.1.3 with added drivers for the HD-cards.

Pro Tools 6 is the first OSX version and the first one to drop support for OS9.

What you need is a DigiTest from a Pro Tools 6 (preferably 6.4.1cs4, since it's the last version to support the MIX cards) installation.

EDIT: DigiTest for OSX can be downloaded here: http://download.digidesign.com/support/digi/mac/utilities/Digitest/digitest601b1.hqx
You might need to have Panther installed in order to use it. It might run on Tiger as well, but 10.3.9 is the last version of OSX that Pro Tools 6.4.1 runs on.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:57:30 AM »
I've got digitest for OSX since it's on the Avid archives but it won't work by itself. I need the drivers for OSX and I think those are only supplied with a 6.x installation.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:59:13 AM »
I've got digitest for OSX since it's on the Avid archives but it won't work by itself. I need the drivers for OSX and I think those are only supplied with a 6.x installation.

I have 6.4.1 at home on DVD if you want.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:51 AM »
If that'll work with my Mix system yeah, I need it for sure.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:02:56 AM »
If that'll work with my Mix system yeah, I need it for sure.

It's the last version working with the MIX systems. They dropped support after it.
See this article: http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/osx/mix/