Author Topic: Wanted: 10-Node Digidesign TDM ribbon cable  (Read 20880 times)

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Wanted: 10-Node Digidesign TDM ribbon cable
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:57:15 AM »
Hi!

Im searching far and wide for a 10-node Digidesign TDM ribbon cable. Used to hook up MIX Core and Farm cards with each other.

Post if you have one laying around or know where I can find one!

Thanks!
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Wanted: 10-Node Digidesign TDM ribbon cable
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
I've never understood how a 10-node works. As far as I know only 7 cards can be used at any given time and I think there's a 7-node cable out there. But a 10 node?

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:51:16 AM »
I've never understood how a 10-node works. As far as I know only 7 cards can be used at any given time and I think there's a 7-node cable out there. But a 10 node?

They never did make a 7-node from what I know. You can have more than 7 MIX cards, but digidesign don't support it officially. The last 3 nodes on a 10-node cable can be connected to the older DSP Farm cards (since they don't use alot of bandwidth) or Samplecell TDM cards.

EDIT: Sorry, there was a 7-node cable as well :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:02:45 AM by Knezzen »
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »
I'm not sure i'll ever go over 4 cards or so. The maximum number of I/O as far as I know is 72, and that'll take eight 888|24s, eight digi cables, and four Y cables for 64 I/O, plus an additional 888|24 and a digi cable to make it 72. That'll run off of 5 Mix cards.

After that, it's just farms/samplecell for more power.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »
Cable no longer needed. I built my own from some old PATA cables and the connectors from two 5-node cables.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
Cable no longer needed. I built my own from some old PATA cables and the connectors from two 5-node cables.
You are a bold one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:02:48 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:15:08 AM »
You are a bold one.

Not really. I don't gamble, so I tripple-checked everything before I tried it out. And it works! At least all the cards are visible and they pass digitest.
Got too late last night, so I didn't want to continue and test out Pro Tools. Might do that tonight, though.

I can probably make cables for anyone who was in the same situation as me. Just speak up ;)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »
I make all of my own cables so if the situation where I'd need more than a 5-node arises, I'd build my own.

Are the cables using just standard IDE cable stock? I've never done an IDE-type cable, but from what I remember you have to use the connector to clamp down on the cable with a vise.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:31 AM »
I make all of my own cables so if the situation where I'd need more than a 5-node arises, I'd build my own.

Are the cables using just standard IDE cable stock? I've never done an IDE-type cable, but from what I remember you have to use the connector to clamp down on the cable with a vise.

Yep!, the kind with really small cables, not the older 40-cable ribbon cable. I think the newer ones have 80 cables.
The MDD has these type of PATA cables stock for instance.
Count the cables and rip of a part of the ribbon cable so you just have 60 wires instead of 80.

Then just clamp the digidesign connectors to it, tripple check everything as you move along and you should be good to go.

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
Hi,

Newbie board member here that's finally been lured into going all the way back to OS9 and a loud-as-**** MDD Dual 1.2Ghz, a PCI Digidesign chassis, some Mix Farms and a (broken :( ) Mix Core, a couple of 888/24s, Logic 6.x on my almost forgotten xsKey - I REALLY don't get on with Logic 9 or X,v very well)...

My 5 node cable has seen better days - I got the above as a package and it was a fairly OK deal apart from the Core packing up - and I would really love a 10 node cable as I have 3 farms, a Samplecell II TDM and I am looking for 1-2 more Mix Farms and obviously a Mix Core.

If your offer is still up, I'd love a cable but would also oblige to reimburse for the trouble involved + postage.

it's very exciting going back 10 years in time to an era where the technology did not get in the way :)

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
Hi acelera!

I can make you a cable, no problem. I just need to source the connectors. The easiest would probably be to buy two 5-node cables and make the 10-node from those. Do you have any connectors I can use if im going to make you a 10-node cable? :)

BTW, in wich country do you live? Just curious so I can calculate shipping.

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »
Hi!  :)

Work in the UK but live in Spain and that's where I have my studio too. I do have a 5 node cable.

Thank you so much!!

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 11:59:01 PM »
I have just purchased 3 more 5-node cables. At least, this means I'll have enough connectors!

Suppose it will take a couple of weeks for them to arrive so patience is really a virtue in OS9-world :)

Offline UnSoNiC

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 06:13:31 AM »
Hello,

I have a Apple G4 (model M8570 EMC 1914) with Sonnet Encore/ST 2*1,8Ghz processor, 2 Go RAM, Mac OS 10.3.9, Pro Tools 6.4.1, a Magma P13R 13 pci slots expansion chassis, 1 Mix Core, 6 Mix Farm and 3 DSP Farm but I only have a 7 node ribbon cable.
As everybody in here, impossible to find a 10 node cable.
So my question is, are you ok to make one for me?
Just tell me how does it costs and i'll pay you for materials + your work + shipping cost.

I live in Belgium

Thank you
G4 (model M8570 EMC 1914) firewire 800
Sonnet Encore / MDX G4 Duet 2*1.8Ghz for Power Mac G4 MDD
2 Go RAM
NVIDIA Ge Force 4600 Ti graphic card
Digidesign expansion chassis 13 slots
1 Mix Core, 6 Mix Farms and 3 DSP Farms

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 06:25:59 AM »

someone probably has a box full of these things sitting on a shelf somewhere

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »

someone probably has a box full of these things sitting on a shelf somewhere

This post references the ability to make your own Node cables but does not define the process of actually doing it, like what tools do you need etc? 

I have multiple node cables and desperately need to build a 7 node for my chassis, I am pretty handy with tools and wiring, how about a few more details, such as-
 how do you get the connectors apart without breaking the pins?
How do you put the connectors back together, will any ribbon tool work?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 05:31:43 AM »
I've never taken one apart so you'll have to wait for Knezzen's reply as he's taken them apart without breaking them!  ;D

supernova777

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 05:55:44 AM »
yeah they seem to krimpthe cable to make contact..
someones got to make them still somewhere in the world
what would really be of use like he said is to find the related tools to do teh job
+ parts

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 07:00:32 AM »
The connector has 30 contacts and the ribbon cable has 60 conductors.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums