Author Topic: My new studio build  (Read 20763 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
My new studio build
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:00:47 AM »
Just wanted to share some pictures of my studio build as it's wrapping up. It's soon ready for some music producing awesomeness ;)

Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
Re: My new studio build
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:33 PM »
 8) Nice room!
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
This is how 5 MIX Core cards and 5 MIX Farm's look together in a 13-slot Magma chassis ;)
Two Pro Control's in the background. The one with the silver palmrest is for sale, btw.

Im in the middle of fabricating a 10-node TDM cable. Should be ready in one hour or so.

I'll soon be done... Soon.... Or something  8)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
That is fucking amazing... Setting up the Magma shit was always my favorite... especially Marathon Racking the G4 and racking the magma... it always looked so much better than a server rack... That is why my Audio clients always got more attention than the business ones... It was more fun than Novell or Windows racks

great job :)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:32:47 AM »
Thanks man! :)

This is the Magma chassies with the Pro Tools logo on the front instead of the Magma logo. Looks great together with all the interfaces in the rack.
Im getting a bit tired of all the building... Have been doing it since late december and now I just want everything to work for once so I can get to work.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:14:50 AM »
My space isn't too far from what you have but you've got more room than me. Is that treatment built into/mounted into the walls? The black stuff. I've got about $4.5k of trapping and diffusion in my studio. It's dead and dry as hell so it's more of a listening/mixing space for sure. One of these days I'll have a 3-room studio. One for mixing, one live room, and a smaller room for noisy machines.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 01:32:57 AM »
The black stuff behind the rack is a wood wall with insulating material behind it. The room is concrete, so we wanted to remove as much of the sub-bass as possible.
The wall where the pro control stands is built 4ocm from the actual concrete wall and it's filled with insulating material.

We actually have a 6 room studio. This will be the "big" control room and tacking envoirement.
We have one live room, one really damp room for dry drum recording or vocals, one "small" control room with ALOT of synthesizers, an iMac i7 running Logic 9, an Atari 1040STe for MIDI and some other stuff. Can post a picture of it later.

One room is for storage and repairs, and one is for partying and relax. We have a DJ booth in there and some other stuff :P

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 01:36:16 AM »
Heres pictures of the small control room and a list off synthesizers and other stuff ;)

On top of the rack:
Roland MC-505 Groovebox

In the rack:
EMU E5000 Ultra
Yamaha A5000
Novation Supernova
Kawai K4r
Kawai K3m
Generic patchbay
Emagic AMT8 MIDI-interface (for the iMac)
PSU for the Behringer Eurodesk MX8000
NAD amplifier for the NS10's

To the right of the rack is just a MIDI-keyboard with weighted keys

Roland Juno 2 on the desk

The keyboard shelf, from the top:
Kawai K1
Atari 1040STe 4mb
Korg 01/W FD
Yamaha EX7
Yamaha DX7 II FD

Not seen in the picture is some drum machines, like my Alesis SR-16 etc.

This was bought over the last 10 years or so.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:23 AM »
More pics as the build comes along... What do you guys think? :)

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
holy shit man.. is that one big controller? is that the u control 24 ? or  afew of them? it looks like one piece!

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
It's actually two pro controllers. One is unplugged (the one with the silver palmrest) and just there for measurements until I get the two fader packs I bought.

The plugged in one is a Pro Control with one added fader pack and one edit pack.
Everything works great in Pro Tools 5.1.3cs11 on Mac OS 9.2.2.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 02:20:16 PM »
I'll have an expanded Pro Control someday. The difficult thing about it however is that I don't know how I'm going to fit both a 24 channel mixer and an expanded Pro Control on my desk.

Maybe I should just save up for 10 years and buy a used SSL instead  -afro-

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »
Progress has been slow due to money issues (and me buying a house in the middle of the build), but we are near the finishing line right now.

Have a look at the pics. Taken minutes before I wrote this post ;)

This is turning out to be one of the most creative places I know of. It's a wonderful place to be! :)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »
Awesome new Pics... I am looking forward to my vacation... keep a room open for me :)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 02:41:27 AM »
Where are all the cables?  -afro-

Hidden ;). I hate the clutter that comes from shitloads of cables. Everything is labeled and then hidden.
There are custom back panels on the racks as well, so you don't see any of the cables :P

I actually spent a lot of time yesterday testing Pro Tools 6.4.1 on the machine and I really like what I have seen so far.
Found a working iLok trial resetter as well, and I finally found quite a large amount of plugins. Bought some from a couple of people here in Sweden.

The problem I'm facing now is making a final decision on which version of Mac OS and Pro Tools I'm going to use.
Both of them have pro's and con's. Let me list them and have you guys give me some tips on which version to choose ;).

So... One of the systems is Pro Tools TDM 5.1.3cs11 on Mac OS 9.2.2.

Pros:
  • Got a shitload of GREAT sounding TDM plugins
  • Plugins have no hardware lock (iLok)
  • Does pretty much what I need it to do (almost)
Cons:
  • No "proper" way to share files with the server running Mavericks and the iMac running Mavericks
  • Have to disable the second processor by removing the Multiprocessor extensions from the extensions folder
  • No multiprocessor support in Pro Tools
  • It's LOUD since I can't use CHUD and the NAP extensions within it
  • No USB 2.0 support (we get mix jobs on USB flash sticks sometimes)

The second system I can run on the MDD is Pro Tools 6.4.1cs4 on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Pros:
  • Got proper and fast networking with the newer machines
  • Multiprocessor support (can use more RTAS plugins for instance)
  • Can use CHUD tools to make the processors "NAP", hence making the CPU's cooler and the computer more quiet
  • A lot of nice new features not present in Pro Tools 5.1.3
  • USB 2.0 support
Cons:
  • All plugins use iLok for authorization
  • Have to use a trial resetter every 7 days or so
  • Nag screens from trial plugins when starting Pro Tools and loading projects using plugins in trial mode
  • A lot less plugins in general

So what do you guys think? The biggest issue for me is by far the networking. We are going to record shitloads of stuff starting this year (at least two LP's/week) so we need to be able to make backups and transfer files over the network. USB 2.0 would be nice but I can live without that. I could transfer the files from the iMac if I just had some proper networking going on.

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to hear your point of view. Try to be objective ;)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
Os X or Os 9 is your choice. But may be you haven't explored the full range of networking capabilities of Mac Os 9 yet.
By example: I use netatalk (Apple Talk server for Unix/Linux) on Linux and iOs and usually mount its HD volumes on the Mac Os 9 desktop exactly as it was a Mac Os 9 machine...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 02:53:33 AM »
Os X or Os 9 is your choice. But may be you haven't explored the full range of networking capabilities of Mac Os 9 yet.
By example: I use netatalk (Apple Talk server for Unix/Linux) on Linux and iOs and usually mount its HD volumes on the Mac Os 9 desktop exactly as it was a Mac Os 9 machine...

I have had it on my mind, but I can't get it to run under Mavericks Server. Might downgrade the Mac Mini or something just to get it to work.

Mac OS 9.2.2 + Pro Tools 5.1.3cs11 is what I want to use, but we are more people in the company, so I really need to get networking to work properly if I'm going to use it.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 06:35:49 PM »
We should focus on Os9, but the hardware we have (PowerMacs with professional pci $$$ hardware) make my heart divided on how good is Logic 5 and 6 and Protools 5 with Os9 and how good it goes in OsX same equipment. It is simply different and equally good (with less performance in OsX sometimes). I have differents RTAS/VST in Os9 that on OsX and mixes sounds different and I have my sound oppinion on LE system. I think here is the only forum where we can talk about it and about pirated plugs without been banned.

We should welcome any Os9 non DAW users to create "Wikis" based on ImageManipulation, Video, Office based on any "macintosh garden" Os9 software and workflows. Final cut pro 3, Adobe Ps and Premiere, Macromedia, ... the list of productive software is HUGE.

I came into macos9lives from my retrodaw love.

The Mac OS 9 Lives Forum will now be dedicated to...
1) Installing, Maintaining, and Extending the functionality of Mac OS 9
2) Installing Digital Audio Software & Music/MIDI Hardware interfaces
3) General questions for Mac OS 9 enthusiasts.

I actually spent a lot of time yesterday testing Pro Tools 6.4.1 on the machine and I really like what I have seen so far.
Found a working iLok trial resetter as well, and I finally found quite a large amount of plugins. Bought some from a couple of people here in Sweden.

The problem I'm facing now is making a final decision on which version of Mac OS and Pro Tools I'm going to use.
Both of them have pro's and con's. Let me list them and have you guys give me some tips on which version to choose ;).

So... One of the systems is Pro Tools TDM 5.1.3cs11 on Mac OS 9.2.2.

Pros:
  • Got a shitload of GREAT sounding TDM plugins
  • Plugins have no hardware lock (iLok)
  • Does pretty much what I need it to do (almost)
Cons:
  • No "proper" way to share files with the server running Mavericks and the iMac running Mavericks
  • Have to disable the second processor by removing the Multiprocessor extensions from the extensions folder
  • No multiprocessor support in Pro Tools
  • It's LOUD since I can't use CHUD and the NAP extensions within it
  • No USB 2.0 support (we get mix jobs on USB flash sticks sometimes)

The second system I can run on the MDD is Pro Tools 6.4.1cs4 on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Pros:
  • Got proper and fast networking with the newer machines
  • Multiprocessor support (can use more RTAS plugins for instance)
  • Can use CHUD tools to make the processors "NAP", hence making the CPU's cooler and the computer more quiet
  • A lot of nice new features not present in Pro Tools 5.1.3
  • USB 2.0 support
Cons:
  • All plugins use iLok for authorization
  • Have to use a trial resetter every 7 days or so
  • Nag screens from trial plugins when starting Pro Tools and loading projects using plugins in trial mode
  • A lot less plugins in general

So what do you guys think? The biggest issue for me is by far the networking. We are going to record shitloads of stuff starting this year (at least two LP's/week) so we need to be able to make backups and transfer files over the network. USB 2.0 would be nice but I can live without that. I could transfer the files from the iMac if I just had some proper networking going on.

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to hear your point of view. Try to be objective ;)

You can have both system in one machine, make transfers via USB 2.0 on panther/tiger/leo and use the Protools version you like. But this method is not recommended by Die Hard, (OS9 and OSX together), so maybe a external firewire OSX system just for file transfer or having an OSX machine just for transfer are good choices too. 

For me, having LE versions there are some things to add on Pro/cons list

Protools 5 LE on OS9
Pro: plugs, stability
Cons: I can not use keyboard focus mode. I mean, when you use keycommands, a lot of them works only for TDM/HD users. No way to use key "R" or "T" to zoom but to use the icon...

Protools 6LE on Panther
Pro: "Modern" OS, easy way to transfer USB 2.0 files, keyboard focus mode, BCF 2000 (Baby-HUI), VST to RTAS via Re-FX adapter and UAD-1 vst to RTAS
Audiomedia III up to version 6.2.3 and DIGI 001 up to 6.4 cs9
Cons: All the magic tools (plugs) from OS9 are lost and only a fistfull of plugs are working thru the ilok reseter.

I see myself using the best tools for every OS in my G4s. You can always "print" the audio in any OS (after the plugs work).
Send a track to a send (AUX), make a new track and choose the input of the track the previous send(aux) and record it.
It is time consuming to "render" the tracks with your prefered plugs, but is the only way to take the best from both versions.

I have to say that the Protools 5 dont take use of multiple processor and Protools 6 too, but 6 is someway better because it let you choose to take advantage of up to 99% of the processor and "force" the OS to use the other processor. But it do not use the second proc for RTAS as Protools 7 does (That was a way to force users to go TDM/HD).

My protools LE pci systems do not let me go to Protools 7, but for sure an original M-Box user have a different opinion that us, because a M-box 1 can go up to protools 8.0.1 on leo, and there on Leo there are Tons of plugs, that probably can force them to go Leo (Melodine, Nexus) instead of using primarly OS9 like us. Also TDM users have beat detective, but LE users had to wait to 7 version to have a LE beat detective.

See Steve Vai using Beat Detective, by the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyFzmN72lUI

Protools 7 has better RTAS management
Protools 7.4 has elastic audio (a REAL big jump in post pro) and Real Multiprocessor support.
Protools 8.0.1 has double number of inserts than 7/6/5 versions.
Protools >8.1 (Intel only) has elastic pitch (another big jump in post pro).

When I had only 6.4 on Win and 5.1 on G3 I was wanting a 7.4  version for elastic audio and I bought a M-Audio 24/96 just to use it. You can Save Copy In... and choose to come back to 5/6 any time (after you had Commit/consolidated audio).

When Protools 9.0.4 camed out I had to bought a Focusrite Liquid Saphire 56 to use it. Elastic pitch is really important on postprod. I use it daily with clients on a Hack.

But for my own music I prefer to use PT 5/6. I think I have some OS9 days and some OSX days.

I feel PT5LE in OS9 hass really the most of the tools we need, but some works can only be made on OSX versions...

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
If I were a 'modern' musician, I wouldn't be on OS9 at all. But since I mix mainly OTB and don't use many softsynths, PT5 and Logic 6 are all I need. It's great to cut down your computer and not have things getting in the way  -afro-

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 11:44:13 PM »
Dual booting is not really the way to go for me. We are a couple of people using the same room and the same equipment, so it needs to be "easy" to use.
Im thinking of setting up netatalk on a Leopard machine to use with the OS9 machine and hopefully everything will get solved that way. I hope :)