Author Topic: Mac Os 9 booting on: G4 Tower MDD FW800 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 246942 times)

supernova777

Re: Downgrade firmware of FW800 for OS9 comp.
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2014, 10:57:03 PM »
if you wrote this script blemk then cheers, i salute you 8) i had a feeling something like that was possible! :)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2014, 12:52:18 AM »
Wow... This is awesome, to summarize we are left with 3 methods to achieve Mac OS 9 booting on unsupported hardware...

Our first method, the force burning of "cross species G4 firmware updates" should obviously be avoided since it gives Mactron high blood pressure and since the outcome may result in some really FUBARed G4s that end up as eWaste... so I am asking the troops to incorporate the remaining 2 methods (modified ROM OR NVRAM Variable substitution) into easy newbie-style toast images or DMG files that we can post for the masses; this will yield the information needed to create a new thread that will detail user accounts of different unsupported G4 Model booting and results.

So, to Blemk (or anyone else with the energy), I ask, for us to streamline the process by creating...

1) A Bootable Mac OS 9.2.2 CD Image (with Modified iMic 10.2.1 ROM in system folder) that also contains modified Disk Utility (if needed) and an ASR Image that will restore to a fresh volume that also contains Modified iMic 10.2.1 ROM; in other words a New 2015 Mac OS 9.2.2 bootable install CD that we can immediately distribute to get some real world testing going...

AND/OR

2) A Bootable OS X (10.x) CD that contains 2 scripts (or 1 with choices) that...

A) Sets NVRAM for OS 9 Boot so that a normal Mac OS 9 install can be tested AND B) Resets NVRAM back to factory when testing is done

I know this is a lot to ask, but it would expedite the process of testing different machines for OS9 functionality.

Offline blemk

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »

So, to Blemk (or anyone else with the energy), I ask, for us to streamline the process by creating...

1) A Bootable Mac OS 9.2.2 CD Image (with Modified iMic 10.2.1 ROM in system folder) that also contains modified Disk Utility (if needed) and an ASR Image that will restore to a fresh volume that also contains Modified iMic 10.2.1 ROM; in other words a New 2015 Mac OS 9.2.2 bootable install CD that we can immediately distribute to get some real world testing going...

AND/OR

2) A Bootable OS X (10.x) CD that contains 2 scripts (or 1 with choices) that...

A) Sets NVRAM for OS 9 Boot so that a normal Mac OS 9 install can be tested AND B) Resets NVRAM back to factory when testing is done

I know this is a lot to ask, but it would expedite the process of testing different machines for OS9 functionality.

Use of nvram command in os x was just idea I picked up from a similar open firmware hack/tweak. Not a very complicated script in the first place but put to good use. I just modified what the script is injecting into open firmware.

Time permitting on the rest of my long weekend.. I had plans for OS bootable disk with updated/modified rom..      OS X disk.. Could build it with the script but not sure it is worth it as the script can reside on a USB pen drive easy enough (boot CD/DVD, access script on usb pen drive).

Going to see if I can build the OS disk and put the apparently rare OS 9 ASR tool on it and use it to restore OS 9 image from OS 9 CD image with the modified rom. Would love to find a tool like "nvram" command in OS X that could run from OS 9 so I didn't even have to touch OS X to do this.

In either case, need to get tools to rebuild a OS 9 (or earlier) bootable CD image going. Been ages since I have done so. Wasn't hard with right software tools handy.

BTW, modded Disk Utility is not needed after open firmware changes. As imic noted, it appears to be checking for MacRISC/MacRISC2 as well when deciding to show "OS 9 Driver" option or not. So, only way you would need it (like modified Mac OS ROM) is if you don't do the open firmware change or the change is reset by clearing nvram.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »
AND[/i] B) Resets NVRAM back to factory when testing is done

Press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys at system boot. LOL
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
Use of nvram command in os x was just idea I picked up from a similar open firmware hack/tweak. Not a very complicated script in the first place but put to good use. I just modified what the script is injecting into open firmware.

Time permitting on the rest of my long weekend.. I had plans for OS bootable disk with updated/modified rom..      OS X disk.. Could build it with the script but not sure it is worth it as the script can reside on a USB pen drive easy enough (boot CD/DVD, access script on usb pen drive).

Going to see if I can build the OS disk and put the apparently rare OS 9 ASR tool on it and use it to restore OS 9 image from OS 9 CD image with the modified rom. Would love to find a tool like "nvram" command in OS X that could run from OS 9 so I didn't even have to touch OS X to do this.

In either case, need to get tools to rebuild a OS 9 (or earlier) bootable CD image going. Been ages since I have done so. Wasn't hard with right software tools handy.

BTW, modded Disk Utility is not needed after open firmware changes. As imic noted, it appears to be checking for MacRISC/MacRISC2 as well when deciding to show "OS 9 Driver" option or not. So, only way you would need it (like modified Mac OS ROM) is if you don't do the open firmware change or the change is reset by clearing nvram.

You don't need a Mac Os 9 or X boot disk to apply a Open Firmware script. There is a special and very small boot image from NewerTech, that can do this ...
I can provide it, if it is needed.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »

I understand that, but I am assuming the user will use 1 method or the other (not a combination of both);

So let's talk about the modified ROM method for a moments.  If a novice user downloads the Modified 2015 OS9 Install CD with ASR (vaporware right now ), then I am assuming the root level tools that check Risc (like Drive Setup) should also be modified.  This would make a useable/bootable CD that a beginner could use to...
1) Boot the unsupported Mac
2) Create a Volume
3) Use ASR to recover Modified ROM version of 9.2.2 (with modified Drive setup) and never have to do the NVRAM at all

OR with Method 2

1) Boot to a CD that autoruns script
2) Install Mac OS 9.2.2 at usual without Modified ROM

Then we can sit back and have many users test

Mactron...
You don't need a Mac Os 9 or X boot disk to apply a Open Firmware script. There is a special and very small boot image from NewerTech, that can do this ...I can provide it, if it is needed.
Can you make a bootable Toast image with the newertech CD that runs the script automatically or at least an idiot proof version and Upload it ASAP ?

Offline iMic

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »

I understand that, but I am assuming the user will use 1 method or the other (not a combination of both);

So let's talk about the modified ROM method for a moments.  If a novice user downloads the Modified 2015 OS9 Install CD with ASR (vaporware right now ), then I am assuming the root level tools that check Risc (like Drive Setup) should also be modified.  This would make a useable/bootable CD that a beginner could use to...
2) Create a Volume
3) Use ASR to recover Modified ROM version of 9.2.2 (with modified Drive setup) and never have to do the NVRAM at all

I'm fairly confident that once you're booted into OS 9, that's the majority of the work done. Drive Setup doesn't check the architecture it's running on, so it doesn't need to be modified to create volumes with OS 9 disk drivers on unsupported machines. After all, it needs to be booted into OS 9 to be run in the first place, something an unsupported machine can't natively do - that's a good enough machine check if you ask me!

The modification I made to Disk Utility is for OS X Panther. It allows the creation of OS 9 compatible volumes from within Mac OS X or the OS X installer disc.

Unless I'm mistaken, creating an installer disc should be as simple as taking a standard OS 9 installation disc, updating the extensions in the Extensions folder to the latest versions (where applicable, just to make sure the disc has the latest possible bootable system software on it), throwing the modified Mac OS ROM into the system folder and burning it to disc.

Installing the modified system could be done with ASR. If I could somehow extract, modify and archive the contents of the installation tome, then it could even in theory be done with the standard Mac OS 9 installer. I haven't looked into how to do this as of yet though.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
iMic,

We got the ASR down to a Science, so we can make our own disk image (with the modified ROM included) and use the ASR.

If I have time I will create the Install CD after I am done with the DAW ASR Imaage I have been working on :)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
There is a new member with an eMac unsupported. We need the new install soon.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline blemk

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »

You don't need a Mac Os 9 or X boot disk to apply a Open Firmware script. There is a special and very small boot image from NewerTech, that can do this ...
I can provide it, if it is needed.

Was wondering if someone had one of the disks from one of the may cpu upgrade makers that might be easily modified. ;)

Still would like a single do it all boot disk for getting os 9 down on a machine if possible..  Both options will reduce need for understanding or potential risk for those that may feel less comfortable with all of this to get os 9 going.

Offline blemk

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »

2) Create a Volume

OR with Method 2

1) Boot to a CD that autoruns script
2) Install Mac OS 9.2.2 at usual without Modified ROM

Then we can sit back and have many users test

Mactron...
You don't need a Mac Os 9 or X boot disk to apply a Open Firmware script. There is a special and very small boot image from NewerTech, that can do this ...I can provide it, if it is needed.
Can you make a bootable Toast image with the newertech CD that runs the script automatically or at least an idiot proof version and Upload it ASAP ?

Or method 3, you still want a hybrid 9/X machine (booting to either when you feel like it). In which case, script run from os x plus modded rom placed on os 9 volume created in os x will work very easily too.

@others.. ASR, or if anyone remember editing installer tomes for Mac OS we might be able to really make a updated universal 9.2.2 with 10.2.x mac os rom.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »

Was wondering if someone had one of the disks from one of the may cpu upgrade makers that might be easily modified. ;)
Here it is:

https://www.adrive.com/public/rNAsCf/NewerTech.toast.sit

This is a Toast copy of the original disk.
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown,

Offline blemk

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »

Here it is:

https://www.adrive.com/public/rNAsCf/NewerTech.toast.sit

This is a Toast copy of the original disk.
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown,

Downloading, will see what I can make of it tonight. Note, this will only be good probably for one machine it is built for (FW800 in this case) as it will have PowerMac3,6 in it if I built it. A nice little switcher app (drop down with options for machine IDs) would be the way to go in the future.

supernova777

« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
A nice little switcher app (drop down with options for machine IDs) would be the way to go in the future.

there is an app that does this.. but its old.. from around the 8.6 days or earlier
its called "i wish i were" http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=20126
adds to control panels .. similar kind of idea..

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown

Is it possible to Autorun a script (to eliminate errors); can we make a new disk image from this one that types the Open Firmware commands for the user ?

Offline blemk

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
A nice little switcher app (drop down with options for machine IDs) would be the way to go in the future.

there is an app that does this.. but its old.. from around the 8.6 days or earlier
its called "i wish i were" http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=20126
adds to control panels .. similar kind of idea..

Yup, right up there with MACHiDwannabe.. Was thinking more of an app interface to adjust script content for the right machine and then execute script.

Offline blemk

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown

Is it possible to Autorun a script (to eliminate errors); can we make a new disk image from this one that types the Open Firmware commands for the user ?

Not being familiar with OS X as I would care to be, can apple scrip scripts be run from the minimal environment we see during early OS X installers (10.3/10.4/10.5)? if so, I could add this to the "Utilities" menu available during OS X Installer on these versions of OS X install discs.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2014, 08:02:20 AM »

Not being familiar with OS X as I would care to be, can apple scrip scripts be run from the minimal environment we see during early OS X installers (10.3/10.4/10.5)? if so, I could add this to the "Utilities" menu available during OS X Installer on these versions of OS X install discs.

Well, I Don't know much about it. but this is exactly what this disk image is:
Code: [Select]
<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
MacRISC
MacRISC2
MacRISC3
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
Generic FCode Loader script
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
\ **************************************************************************
\ * PowerLogix Generic FCode Loader
\ * Copyright (c) 2003-04 by PowerLogix.  All rights reserved.
\ * Written by Terry Greeniaus.
\

etc

Offline Nimbus

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
Hi,
I'm newly signed-up so I can share my findings. They point either to me being dim, or the need for a bit more detail in the 'Mac OS 9.2.2 Read Me ' on the disk images.

I have burned a CD from Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install.iso. I presume it's fine, because it boots my G4 MDD FW400, and Drive Setup autostarts as designed.

I assume this behaviour is intended to happen identically on the G4 MDD FW800, so that the install does not need a second machine? It doesn't - it won't boot from the CD, but reverts to the OSX drive. Starting with Option held down shows only the OSX drive available as a valid boot drive.

Back on my everyday Mac Mini, I mounted the MacOS9Lives.img image, dug out a FireWire external drive, and Finder copied the System Folder from the mounted MacOS9Lives onto the FW drive. On the G4 MDD FW400, I made sure the System Folder was 'blessed'. Back to the G4 MDD FW800 - starting with Option held down does not list the FireWire drive as a valid bootable volume, even though the startup sequence exercised it for a few seconds. Startup Disk does an even more thorough search on the FireWire drive, but doesn't list OS9, nor does it list the CD.

At this point, having typed the above, I scratched my head, then grabbed MacOSROM_1021_Generic.sit and substituted that ROM for the test one on the FW drive. Option-Startup on the G4 MDD FW800 now reveals the FW drive as a valid boot volume! After using OS9's Startup Disk CP, the machine meekly restarts in OS9 without needing the Option key.

Now impressed!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:58:14 PM by Nimbus »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »
Dear Nimbus,

The Universal Install is for all G3s and G4s that SUPPORT Mac OS 9....NOT a universal Install for Unsupported Macs...

I am working on another Image That will contain the Modified iMic ROM, his CD can be used on the FW800 and other NON-Supported G4s... However, even if the OS is recognized on unsupported Macs, the booting will vary from not working at all to a full success to anything in between.