Author Topic: Few General Questions  (Read 4078 times)

Offline SirEdwinCBE

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Few General Questions
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
First things first - boy has this site come on! I was here six months ago learning a bit about OS9, registered a few days ago.

I have a dual iBook G3 on OS9, CD drive only.

My questions are :

1. Is there Rewire capability on OS 9? If so, what version of Reason do I need, and can it connect to any DAW?

2. I'm looking to create an archive CD of old programs once OS 9 has been installed - any way to script to install all? Should I just place .sit files on the CD? Would extracting them to folders not work?

3. I have a few Korg nano units - is there an easy way to install Tiger to this machine, alongside 9, so that I can actually use them? I have copies of disk images, but burning them via Windows hasn't worked so far.

Thanks so far - quite a bit of reading to do now I've joined the forums.

supernova777

Re: Few General Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:11:38 PM »
First things first - boy has this site come on! I was here six months ago learning a bit about OS9, registered a few days ago.

I have a dual iBook G3 on OS9, CD drive only.

My questions are :

1. Is there Rewire capability on OS 9? If so, what version of Reason do I need, and can it connect to any DAW?

2. I'm looking to create an archive CD of old programs once OS 9 has been installed - any way to script to install all? Should I just place .sit files on the CD? Would extracting them to folders not work?

3. I have a few Korg nano units - is there an easy way to install Tiger to this machine, alongside 9, so that I can actually use them? I have copies of disk images, but burning them via Windows hasn't worked so far.

Thanks so far - quite a bit of reading to do now I've joined the forums.

1> any version of reason is rewire capable! including version 1.0
it can connect properly to logic 4.73+, cubasevst 4.0+ pro tools as u know is nto rewire compatible untill osx versions but it is usable under os9 via the refuse directconnect/rewire solution

2> not sure what others would say on this but i would back up the install apps to cd.. and do a fresh install when everything is working great ... personally i would use carbon copy cloner or some other disk imaging software to make a complete image of my drive that could be restored... i love to use osx's disk utility because i find it easy.. to create a .dmg file but i think there are other ccc(carbon copy cloner) type apps available for os9 which would allow u to create a saved backup of all your disks.. i dont think it would be possible or at least as easy to do an automated install
3> re: the korg nano units i would try to find a way to convert the the signals to standard midi out? the only way i could see them working is to have them connected to an osx box with a midi patchbay and then patch that thru into os9 using standard midi .. and another patchbay of some sort.. kinda not worth all that effort.

Offline SirEdwinCBE

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »
http://www.refusesoftware.com/products/feature/1 <---That one there? Good to know - I've used ProTools with Reason before under OS X, I'll just have to substitute in Logic/Cubase - would Ableton and other DAWs work, or was it still early days back then?

The plan right now is to try and get a hold of some old PPC Macs and try to teach sound engineering, graphics manipulation etc using the top of the line software, which is now available on outdated and obsolete hardware, for free. Your idea sounds like just the thing once I've a small collection of G3/4s of similar spec.

I originally got the mac to have as a dedicated audio device. Tiger with 256MB RAM won't be pretty but will have MIDI - but burning CDs is a pain (don't get me started on bootable vs unbootable, DVDs versus replacement CDs). Looked at Linux but frankly it's not well supported and I'd be settling for open source replacements (although a few are good), still limited by poor specs. OS 9 may not be glamorous  but I'd be a mouse away from having a nice little setup.

----------------------
Also got a Tascam MF-P01 - limited cassette multitrack unit. Records one track at a time, max four altogether, then extra bouncing - has headphone monitoring and I've a nice Peavey mic that should cover recording needs just fine. One cable to the jack input on the iBook and it's on to be mixed! That's the plan at least, a really simple, no frills setup.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
i will say that for rewire.. i strongly think that Digital Performer + Ableton Live have the Up on cubase/logic/protools..
because u can record multiple tracks.. seperately... all in one go... on digital performer.. and on ableton live.. u can do this.. AS U HEAR IT.. "LIVE" which makes ableton the best
for using with virtual apps like Reason ... to gather all your recorded bits / samples / sounds .. and then to arrange as audio..... I like to use LIVE first... and then once happy with the produced sounds.. move from Live to cubase/logic/protools for further mastering/refinement. but for me . live is the fastest way to get all my sounds out of reason and saved as real actual waveforms in my live soundset.. while keeping everything on its own channel/track etc

the difference is that with cubase/protools/logic.. all of them require u to go thru this tedious "1 track at a time" bounce from rewire to real "Wav" or "Aif" audio...
but with Ableton + DP.. u can do 5.. 10.. 16.. up to whatever the limit is.. all in one take.. and end up with seperate files for each/channel/track

in logic u have to use the bounce button near the master level on the mixer.. + solo/or mute whatever cahnels u want/dont want
in cubase u have to use file->export->audio mixdown while again using solo/mutes to export just waht u want to this specific channel;
i always get confused doing it in cubase and end up with things recorded together in one .wav
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:38:25 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline SirEdwinCBE

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »
Never really used Digital Performer or Live before, so that's good to know. A little disappointed because I only really dipped my toe into Logic, and only used Cubase for MIDI. I was flirting with the idea of getting a 5.1 speaker setup and trying my hand at mixing surround, which going by what you said could work like this :

Reason tracks --> DAW (DP/LIVE) --> separate audio tracks --> Nuendo/DAW-X -->Bounce out

I'm still learning a bit as I go - the whole world of OS 9 and retro computing (if that's the correct term) is quite fascinating when you see what you can creative with limitations.

That's about it for now, thanks for your help, and I'll see you around the forums.

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
if you are using reason... live + reason is a match made in heaven.....
its really easy to get working with these two apps via rewire.. recording "LIVE" into LIVE by just arming tracks + pressing record and seeing the wave forms drawn in as they are recorded..
from the very start.. even live 1.0 + reason 1.0 work well together.. in fact, if u were to do this even on a powermac g3 blue & white... its amazing how u can build things up.. quickly..
with a g4 1.25 dual u can do plenty! especially if u have a UAD or Powercore DSP in the mix somewhere for more dsp/compression

nuendo 1.52 is also pretty cool... + worth checking out
even if u cant bounce down more then one track at once..