Author Topic: Looking for CHEAP 3.5" SATA fw400 dock, enclosure  (Read 21333 times)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: CHEAP 3.5" SATA enclosure
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 09:13:19 AM »
Did we not delve into this a few years back concerning, more specifically… the inexpensive, empty, Iomega external Firewire / USB enclosures?

Can’t find that thread at present - but those cases proved not all they were cracked up to be.
(Eventually gave mine away for a neighbor’s DISH network backup.)

And then… also throw mopar300m’s G3 B&W into the mix and complicate matters even further. (The B&W’s are not the “friendliest” when it comes to firewire.) And of course it’s completely understandable why DieHard (and others) aren’t happy with 3rd party formatting software (HDST) but with the B&W’s it’s almost a necessity when sharing firewire drives with other (G4) machines. No, I don’t like it either but it most certainly helps mounting FW drives with the G3 B&W, especially under OS 9 AND with other machines.

For more pertinent info on External Firewire Drives / Mac OS 9 Project… definitely refer to the following:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4154.msg28516.html#msg28516

“3rd party tools, like HDST, will indeed partition the FW drive into as many equal size partitions as you want, but it replaces the standard HD drivers upon formatting and the volumes may or may not mount if you connect it to another mac that does not have HDST installed on it.  In general, I shy away from 3rd party utilities since I want my drives to be readable (without errors or glitches) from any mac, so I like to stick with the Apple Tools that have less room error.” -DieHard

NOTE: OWC Mercury On-The-Go Portable 2.5" FW800/USB3.0 Enclosure Kit for Serial Sata
Still pricey, but… https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/? $58.00
OR: $47.25 (includes shipping) https://www.ebay.com/itm/125090840913?

*And I also seem to recall using Apple’s Drive Setup 1.9.2 when formatting - to provide better firewire drive sharing between the B&W’s / G3’s and other machines. BUT I won’t swear to that. Seems that I finally arrived at using HDST with the B&W’s for good reason. (And even with shared USB thumb drives.)

YMMV / Caveat Emptor

Still love my little palm-sized VST’s!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 09:24:11 AM by FBz »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »
OWC Mercury On-The-Go Portable 2.5" FW800/USB3.0 Enclosure Kit for Serial Sata
Still pricey, but… https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/? $58.00
OR: $47.25 (includes shipping) https://www.ebay.com/itm/125090840913?

OK, I hate to muddy the waters, but it usually pays to be goal oriented when making the decision of which FW external enclosure to get; in other words, what solution is the FW enclosure facilitating ?  A quick data transfer ?  A permanent Backup drive ?  A system clone/setup mechanism, etc.

Well, as is true with many components and peripherals, it is extremely rare to hit the "cheap" category (as far as inexpensive) and the "works awesome" bullseye at the same time... more often, "cheap" means... inexpensive and built like crap.  So, depending on the solution, it may not pay to go for quality, or you may shoot yourself in the foot if you go something that costs little, but is not reliable.

As far as the original question that created this topic, the OWC Mercury On-the-go falls way short in the inexpensive category.   But, the OWC Mercury On-The-Go USB 3.0 & 2.0 / FireWire 800 (FireWire 400 Backwards Compatible) Enclosure Kit is by far the best in the single SATA HD/SSD category as far as quality. I have (4) of these that I use constantly, and the heat sink works well when transferring client's data to/from legacy macs that take many hours, it has the bonus feature of power switch, and that comes in handy without having to unplug it to turn it off during a job (I can't think of any other self-powered single FW 2.5" enclosure that has a switch).  It is a work of art in quality workmanship and functionality...
    Sleek, impact-resistant acrylic enclosure
    Bus-powered, no AC adapter needed
    Quiet, fanless operation
    An aluminum heatsink and passthrough cooling vents keep your drive cool

This enclosure may be way overkill, if your solution is a one time data transfer or if it's not gonna get much use. For the "cheap" solution, buy a failed or ancient $10 VST or iOmega external FW drive (research if you want IDE or SATA as a drive interface); most will be a real pain in the ass taking apart; be ready to have some duct tape to re-assemble if that is even needed for your goal.

As many of you know, I have a lot of legacy FW stuff laying around, and it has always been trial and error with all these devices.  For our site, all backups are done to (2) FW Mini Dual aluminum OWC setups; one at home, one in the office.  For most jobs, I have switched to the "On the go drives." For really quick jobs, I use one of a box full on VST drives that permanently dis-assembled and used as drive trays. 

For mission critical client backups from old G4s I use Newertech Gaurdian Maximus small RAID setups, that (2) out of (4) now have LCD issues, so I used to really think they were great quality, but now I realized why OWC sold them cheap.  There is no reason the LCD readout should fail with such low use hours.  All the external FW drives I mentioned here work well for legacy macs as far as FW chipsets, so just choose according to your needs.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Looking for CHEAP 3.5" SATA fw400 dock, enclosure
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 10:12:55 AM »
the cheapest IDE cases i ever got were 10 euros, new from a store. plastic, quite slim cases, proper oxford controller.

of course IDE really was the day before yesterday.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 11:12:21 AM »
Bring on the mud.

“A quick data transfer? A permanent Backup drive? A system clone/setup mechanism, etc.”

Many larger external FW drives (OWC, G-Tecs, LaCie’s, etc.) primarily for backups here.
But I may have finally succumbed to the OWC Mercury On-The-Go USB 3.0 & 2.0 / FireWire 800 recommendation
- after that lower cost eBay listing today. (Like I need another external FW drive.) How can I resist?

My VSTs may not last forever.

OWC Mercury:
“It is a work of art in quality workmanship and functionality…”

Sleek, impact-resistant acrylic enclosure
    Bus-powered, no AC adapter needed
    Quiet, fanless operation
    An aluminum heatsink and passthrough cooling vents keep your drive cool

*DieHard, you throwin’ shade on my heretofore un-failed & ancient VST’s? (laughing) ;D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2022, 11:53:47 AM »
*DieHard, you throwin’ shade on my heretofore un-failed & ancient VST’s? (laughing) ;D

Not at all, I love the old VSTs... and after years they hold their re-sell value, even when sold for parts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124992198605?hash=item1d1a1d97cd:g:ByYAAOSw-pthh2RM

WTF are people thinking  with the crazy pricing, that is a 9.99 product at best, but I have to admit, I NEVER saw that style, it's like a "devil drive"

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2022, 12:28:53 PM »
Yeah, I dunno ‘bout dem VST Red Devils compared to the palm-sized VST’s I have.
Seems that most of the red ones are usually listed as: “For Parts or Not Working”?
(Some inherent flaw / failure?) And as far as opening them to possibly replace drives / repair…
well, if they’re anything like my small ones, fuggedaboutit.

Remember DH explaining that process AND seeing some of them all taped back together.

Devil Drives indeed.
Of course, I wouldn’t mind tearing one apart.
(Should one just ever fall into my hands.)

Okay, who has one?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:13:31 PM by FBz »

Offline mopar300m

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2022, 01:56:52 PM »
bus powered for storage, that is quite rare to find.

oh jesus, every layman (like me) can see that it is rubbish.

i suppose you were one of the reviewers?

I was not the reviewer.  I saw that review and bought it anyways hoping I'd get a better one. 

As for the OWC enclosure, I did look into getting that but came across an amazon review saying it wasn't totally compatible with OS 9.

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Portable 2.5" FW800/USB3.0 Enclosure Kit for Serial ATA (SATA)   
Claire
4.0 out of 5 stars Very well-designed enclosure, but no FW400 support in OS 9.
Reviewed in the United States on June 22, 2020
Capacity: 0GB Enclosure Verified Purchase
-----------
Dinged a star because the FW800 controller used by this enclosure doesn't work with OS 9 for some reason. I contacted OWC and confirmed that to be the case. The workaround is to use either a FW400 hub or a FW400 device between your Mac and this enclosure, if you need to use it in OS 9.

I realize that's about 0.1% of purchasers of this product, though, so if you DON'T need to use it with ancient legacy hardware, this is an excellent buy. The enclosure is very well made, and the clear plastic means it's easy to remember which hard drive is installed. FW800 works flawlessly on my MacBook Pros with FW800.

I'm looking for a drive for permanent storage and a portable.  I have not considered a backup solution yet.  I have a MOTU branded Glyph rackmount hard drive enclosure that works well but is 28 bit LBA.  There are a couple of Glyph Project X boxes on ebay but they are also 28 bit LBA.  Also expensive.

The VST drives look nice but probably are 28 bit.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2022, 02:58:30 PM »
correct, with hub it is already solved. but i totally understand why such a solution feels stupid, i wouldnt buy it either.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2022, 05:43:57 PM »
As for the OWC enclosure, I did look into getting that but came across an amazon review saying it wasn't totally compatible with OS 9.

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Portable 2.5" FW800/USB3.0 Enclosure Kit for Serial ATA (SATA)   
Claire
4.0 out of 5 stars Very well-designed enclosure, but no FW400 support in OS 9.
Reviewed in the United States on June 22, 2020
Capacity: 0GB Enclosure Verified Purchase
-----------
Dinged a star because the FW800 controller used by this enclosure doesn't work with OS 9 for some reason. I contacted OWC and confirmed that to be the case. The workaround is to use either a FW400 hub or a FW400 device between your Mac and this enclosure, if you need to use it in OS 9.

ABSOLUTE FALSE INFORMATION !

Remember, calling OWC and other companies is a waste of time, since many of those techs just read the data sheet and never try the device,
and many have never even used Mac OS 9

Runs Flawless under Mac OS 9.2.2 with a FW400 to FW800 cable, no magic, no hub or other device... Mechanical 2TB Seagate Partitioned a whole bunch

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 06:25:38 PM »
As per OWC's specs for the OWC Mercury On-The-Go USB 3.0 & 2.0 / FireWire 800

Offline mopar300m

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 02:44:17 AM »

ABSOLUTE FALSE INFORMATION !

Remember, calling OWC and other companies is a waste of time, since many of those techs just read the data sheet and never try the device,
and many have never even used Mac OS 9

My bad, noob mistake.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 03:54:43 AM »
it is funny that the support confirms that something which was promised doesnt work. :)

but "works with..." actually says nothing about an individual case. something can generally support OS9, but maybe not your computer hardware. or it doesnt boot when you format it wrong. there are so many variables.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Best Value SATA enclosure
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2022, 07:58:17 PM »
Little OWC Enclosures arrived yesterday… as per usual, DieHard’s recommendation reigns.

Had an OWC Mercury Elite “3G” SSD (yet another nod to Mr. Happy!)… two-partitioned with
one part pre-loaded with OS 9 / Mac OS Extended format, and the other partition empty...
but partitioned as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Installed that OWC SSD in a snap.

POW! Both loaded instantly on this High Sierra 2011 iMac.

Disk Utility noted: “JMicron 35x Series Media”. (Enclosure or the OWC SSD?)

THEN:
Swapped it over to an 800 MHz G3 iBook (via 800 to 400 FW cable) and BOOM!
Another instant mount of both SSD partitions. AND with these QuickBench results:

Not too shabby on an 800 MHz G3 iBook.

Bite me USB 1.1.

Likely I’ll be pulling the "naked" 1TB SSD out of that G4 Mac mini - for the 2nd OWC enclosure.

Love the enclosure’s little on / off switch as I’m often very leery of hot-swapping firewire drives.

ONLY complaint is the little rubber feet, intended to be placed over the bottom mounting screws.
(For anyone like me, constantly changing drives in and out of things.) A very minor complaint.
I just won’t put the little adhesive-backed feet exactly where they were intended.

Tiger 10.4.11 on the G3 iBook luvs it too!

*And after all these many years with no spudgers… I now have TWO.
 i.e. Pennies from heaven… lagniappes!

Et vous? Take a Sunday break with Louis Prima or… Stan Getz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnz_gbDJnhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_lIEU7mz8s

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:12:07 PM by FBz »