Author Topic: SSD drive isn't recognized  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
SSD drive isn't recognized
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
The SATA2IDE adapter that came with my drive seems to have gone kaput. For some reason when I had it connected along with an IDE drive, the IDE drive wouldn't boot either.

I tried all the jumper settings and nothing worked. I always got a disk or Mac icon with a question mark. I also tried holding Option when booting but it brought me to a screen with a refresh and an arrow icon.

Thankfully the drive itself works because I tried it with a SATA2USB adapter.

Is there something I'm missing?

supernova777

Re: SSD drive isn't recognized
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
ive never used one, ud be best to talk to diehard or mactron they both have used them successfully + can help u navigate around it

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I guess I'll have to wait on a reply. I tried everything. I'm thinking the Addonics adapter is the culprit. The fingers on my left hand are all scarred and bloody from trying everything.

Also, the ribbon cable that came with the G4 doesn't have enough room between each connector to connect both an SSD and IDE. Did you guys have to change it too?

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
id say its best to test things individually to get the one working first before tryign to get both working.. just to be on the safe side

hopefully they will chime in soon...

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »
This is obviously way too much info... but I had 2 cups of Starbucks....

I will send pics of one my MDDs with the SSDs when I am at work tomorrow... My config is the same on all 3 MDDS... I have the OWC on the Ultra 100 IDE controller (in line with heat sink) by itself... The SSD has main OS... all apps and all samples for Halion, Kompakt, LM4 MkII and Battery kits... also all virtual instruments (like Virtual Guitar) so they load extremely fast.... also my current 1 or 2 audio projects, It's Partitioned into "Mac OS" and "Audio-SSD"

On the Ultra 66 (Under optical cage) I keep (2) 500 GB drives with 3 partitions each...

Drive 1: Audio 1, Library (All Software Installs), Samples (all the sample I own for OS 9) and
Drive 2: Audio 2 (Archives and Backups), Images (CD and DVD Image Files), Video (Video and Pics)..

At least 1 partition on every drive is bootable (with a different theme to remember what partition is booted at the time)...

Every MDD also has (1) UAD-1, (1) PowereCore PCI, (1) M-Audio 2496

I do a similar setup on (2) QS 933 live recording macs... A single OWC SSD on the Main Controller and a 500 GB (where the zip would go under the Optical Drive) The SSD has an OS with apps partition and an "Audio-SSD" Partition for the current live recording project... the 500 has old recording projects split up on 3 partitions for clients.... each QS G4 is mounted sideways in a Road rack with Mac Marathon Ears and has a PCI 424 Motu card and (3) 1224 MOTU interfaces

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »
Nice setup  -afro-

Did you notice the ribbon cable thing I mentioned? The two connectors are too close together.

I'm going to test the Addonics adapter with another SATA drive tomorrow. Hopefully that's my problem.

Currently it boots to a grey screen with a disk icon and a flashing question mark. If I hold Option when booting it actually shows a hard drive with a little Mac icon, but it goes back to the flashing disk after that.

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »
sounds like u didnt format the drive with os9 drivers

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:59 PM »
It didn't work in OSX either unless I connected it via USB. When I formatted it I ticked the option for OS9. Is that what you were referring to?

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
on the topic of ssd:

http://products.ncix.com/detail/lenovo-16-gb-internal-solid-26-87491.htm

would there be any way to interface an Msata ssd such as above?
anyone know of any adapters for those?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »
You could do it using two adapters. an MSATA2SATA adapter, then a SATA2IDE adapter. That's a little much and I wouldn't trust doing it. But maybe there's an MSATA2IDE adapter around somewhere...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »
I was able to get a little further with DieHard's assistance. Turns out that this Addonics adapter is funky. I just bought a new one and it should be here soon. The jumper keeps falling off on the old one and it has bent prongs. The IDE cable that came with the system has the connectors too far apart to connect both drives at the same time unless I take them out the HD bay and leave them floating in there.

I also have a bent capacitor on the motherboard.

Almost got it working, just need to wait on a replacement...

By the way, would it be worth it to get a dual CPU version of the 1.25ghz system for that extra 1mb of cache? Since this one is turning out so funky I think I may keep it as a backup and just get a DP G4 as my main system.

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
i personally dont use the ide adapters i have many pci sata adapters that im more than happy with the performance of