Author Topic: firewire support extension 2.8.7 or 2.8.6  (Read 12482 times)

Offline sparra

• new to the forums
firewire support extension 2.8.7 or 2.8.6
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
I really need to find firewire support extension 2.8.7 or 2.8.6, does anybody have this they can upload a link to download?

I'm trying to get an M Audio Audiophile Firewire interface to work without crackling & digital distortion, All the last OS9 drivers have been installed but audio is problematic, After a bit of research i have discovered this could be the solution as only have firewire support extension 2.8.5 in 9.2.2.

Much appreciated if you can help!

Peace
Sparra

supernova777

Re: firewire support extension 2.8.7 or 2.8.6
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
im sure diehard will be able to sort u out hes got 2-3 of these interfaces  8)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
From "Mac OS 9 Lives Website"
Even if you decide against using Mac OS 9.2.2, it is still an excellent idea to update both the FireWire Enabler and FireWire Support extensions to version 2.8.6 or 2.8.7. These extensions included performance enhancements and a built-in driver for many FireWire hard disk drives (this driver will be used automatically if the disk vendor's driver extension cannot be found).

The 2.8.7 Drivers have always been Available in the "Mac OS 9 Drag Install" download Here:

http://www.macos9lives.com/downloads/os/os9/Fresh9.2.2DragInstall.sea

Note: This download also has latest ROM file, Video drivers for ATI and nVidia and more

*** UPDATE ***
Here is the working link to the download board that has the drag install and contains the Updated FW drivers:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1859.0.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:24:03 AM by DieHard »

Offline sparra

• new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
Appreciate the pointer :)

I've downloaded the drag & drop .sea file to my desktop on my OS 10.5.8 PPC G4 dual, it just appears as a text document with that extension, Do i have to open it on my OS 9.2.2 machine (Pismo G3) to reveal the System subfolder with the extensions?

Weird that i have 9.2.2 on that machine but the extensions are older versions than the last available (machine came with a clean install of 9.2.2)

Peace
Sparra

Offline sparra

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Hmmm, I unstuffed the sea file, I copied the system folder onto my USB drive, I stuck it into the Pismo, Opened the extensions folder from the drag & drop & copied the 2 firewire extensions into my extensions folder, It said replace older versions, I clicked yes, then restarted the Pismo, Went into extensions manager & the 2 extensions are nowhere to be seen, When i look in the actual extensions folder they are their but for some bizarre reason they are no recognized as extensions that i can enable/disable, they are recognized as 'PC' files???

What am i doing wrong here??

Peace
R

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:48:40 PM »
I can only suggest that you use the entire 9.2.2 drag install it it's entirety... it will have all the latest versions of everything for 9.2.2; perhaps one of your other files is not up to date

I assume you have 2 machines that boot to OS 9 natively (You mentioned an G4 and a Pismo), and you do not own a FireWire external hard drive... you can use the MDD or the Pismo as an external hard drive by putting one of the units in Target Mode (this is done by holding "Command-T" upon startup); you can now treat the entire mac that is in target mode as an external hard drive and copy the extracted contents on the "drag install" to the root level of the mac that is in target mode... also copy an additional copy of the System Folder, Documents, and Applications Folders to a sub folder called "Drag Install".  Now boot the mac that was in target mode normally and it should be a Fully functional Mac OS 9.2.2 Unit... This can now be the master install unit and you can connect other macs (while they are in Target mode") and run the disk utility and repartition any mac connected in target mode (of course this will erase the HD)... Now you simply copy the contents of the subfolder "Drag Install" to any freshly formatted partition and you will have another fully bootable Mac OS 9.2.2 install... this method, once you get the hang of it, can prep a fresh HD to 9.2.2 in about 5 min.

Offline Dane D.

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »
I have firewire support extension 2.8.5, will that help?

Offline sparra

• new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
I managed to work out the reason why, it wasn't so straight forward :o ....The Sandisk USB pen drive is not recognized by Disk Utility in OS 9.2 on the G3 Pismo therefore cannot be initialized/formatted by the machine, It will show the contents & allow you to transfer files but that is it, I had to use the G5 dual 2.3 (my PPC desktop which only runs 10.5.8) to erase & format the USB drive as Mac OS Extended, When i plugged this back into the Pismo a warning came up with a prompt to initialize/format the USB drive, which i did, I then unmounted teh USB drive, stuck it into the G5 & copied the System Folder from the drag & drop 9.2, voila the icons & correct definitions of the files appeared, I then plugged the USB drive back into the Pismo & proceeded to drop the newer versions of the extensions from the drag & drop into the extensions folder, There are a few which you cannot drop into the extensions (as they are in use) but all you have to do is drop them into the extensions (disabled) folder, then open extensions manager & un-tick the old & tick the new.

After i did this i created another duplicate set of extensions strictly for audio/DAW use, once I had done this & restarted i tried the M-Audio again, still clicks & pops & distortion with high buffer, low buffer & just about every combination of settings in the Audio System setup of Cubase 5.1 32, 16bit 24bit, 32 bit, 44.1 all the way up to 96, I tried Recycle & a standalone plug in, All playing back with the same (random) distortion, The M-Audio drivers where the last ones available for OS 9 & i tried the drivers from the original install disc & also the drivers from the M-Audio site with no joy, Making sure the unit was unplugged until i had installed the drivers & shut down the Pismo, I tried 2 different firewire cables, I tried both FW ports on the M-audio & both on the Pismo with absolutely no change in reliability :(

Just to make sure it was not a faulty Audio PSU board in the Pismo, I checked audio coming via sound manager, no distortion or glitches, I then installed the OS 10.5.8 drivers from the M-Audio website onto my G5 desktop, shut it down & connected the M-Audio to the FW socket, restarted & checked the audio running Cubase 4, no clicks pops or crackle , so the M-Audio was not the issue.

I then remembered 11/12 years previously when i had just purchased a shiny new G4 Ti 500mhz powerbook & a Motu 828 FW to run with Cubase (SX?) to replace an old beige (quadra?) i was running with an Audiowerks PCI card, It was a nightmare getting stable ASIO drivers & the reason why i chose MOTU was due to the drivers being the most stable for OS 9, The M-Audio drivers are obviously really buggy & they probably gave up rectifying any issues knowing OSX & core audio where round the corner, hence the lack of 'performance' with the Pismo 400mhz, The CPU in Cubase with Trilogy running & a couple of bars of a bassline looping was 20% & the hard disk was zero (using the USB drive as the audio folder) when i had the M-audio connected so the glitches & distortion must be something to do with the M-Audio communicating with cubase via the ASIO drivers, At least it wasn't as bad as using apple sound manager which wouldn't even allow me to play a note (the CPU performance meter in Cubase did not register any % but the red warning light was constantly glowing.

Even though the Pismo is powerful enough to run Cubase & some discontinued plug-ins (Pluggo etc) getting an interface with stable OS9 ASIO drivers is a whole other can of worms, I thought this cheap M-Audio would do the job & intended to hook it up to my Apogee via SPDIF clocked from the Apogee & record the audio into Cubase 7 running on my Intel retina quad core i7 which uses USB3 for the Apogee, but no cigar.

I will try to pick up a MOTU device to see if that is more reliable & if it's not then I'll probably just use the Pismo for editing & transfering MIDI files to a couple of synths & rack units which only have OS9 software, I have a Midiman USB midi interface thats pretty reliable with the Pismo.

I guess that's why everybody jumped for joy when OSX appeared & core audio, I have never had an issue with reliability on any core audio FW interfaces & i have owned a few of those (Metric Halo, Apogee, RME)

ASIO is a nightmare, When i was searching google for clues of what could be the problem i came across a lot of PC forums with people still having issues with ASIO to this day.

Thanks again for the help & pointers guys, I'm going to have to leave the OS9 world for a bit to get back to some productivity & workflow in the modern world  -afro-

Peace

Sparra

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:58 PM »
Sorry you had so much trouble Sparra.... If you ever give it another go I will give you the exact rev of the M-audio ASIO driver i have used in the past... or if you want a rock solid pismo setup... get an RME cardbus PCMCIA card with a multiface... quality will rival today's hardware

Offline Rafi

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »
Hi, looking for Firewire enabler and support extention 2.8.7.  The link above is not working for me.

Thanks,

Rafi

macStuff

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 06:18:47 AM »
I managed to work out the reason why, it wasn't so straight forward :o ....The Sandisk USB pen drive is not recognized by Disk Utility in OS 9.2 on the G3 Pismo

i keep reading of users trying to use USB on OS9.22 - everytime i read it i cringe.. because even using a thumb drive usb stick to copy m-audio drivers off.. (small file size) its too damn slow.. so i cant imagine even attempting to use USB for anything else... USE a FIREWIRE external enclosure instead, or the firewire compact flash unit is a great idea... i personally have a firewire Western Digital Passport 500gb drive i use.. i would NEVER use USB,
u can mount NETWORK DRIVES over AFP over GIGABIT ETHERNET and it will work faster than a USB stick on a modern OS... i guess this point needs to be VISIBLY STRESSED here somehow to get the point across to noobs! :D

MacOS9 + USB storage = FAIL!! 1.5 MegaBytes/s
MacOS9 + gigabit ethernet + AFP (mounted as a network drive) = WIN!! 70-100MB/s
MacOS9 + firewire hd enclosure + 500gb Sata drive = WIN!! 35-45MB/s
MacOS9 + compact flash + firewire CF dock = WIN
(not sure havent got one yet)
!

why didnt anyone tell this guy not to use USB on a G3 Firewire PISMO????????????????
my firewire zip drive would be faster!
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/specs/powerbook_g3_400_fw.html
USB Ports:   2 (1.1)   Firewire Ports:   2 (400)
Details:   Dual onboard USB 1.1 ports and Firewire "400" ports.

USB 1.x[edit]
Released in January 1996, USB 1.0 specified a data rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (Low Bandwidth or Low Speed). It did not allow for extension cables or pass-through monitors, due to timing and power limitations. Few USB devices made it to the market until USB 1.1 was released in August 1998, which introduced the speed of 12 Mbit/s (at full speed, which equals 1.5Mb/s hahahahah).

read what he wrote.. lol.. poor guy..
The CPU in Cubase with Trilogy running & a couple of bars of a bassline looping was 20% & the hard disk was zero (using the USB drive as the audio folder) when i had the M-audio connected so the glitches & distortion must be something to do with the M-Audio communicating with cubase via the ASIO drivers, At least it wasn't as bad as using apple sound manager which wouldn't even allow me to play a note (the CPU performance meter in Cubase did not register any % but the red warning light was constantly glowing.

did noone give him a link to the proper updated firewire extensions either?? wow what a fail :) lol
poor sparra; might be a safe assumption that his ill-fated experience was the total result of using a USB1.1 device for saving audio! ;D USB1.1 on OS9 for saving audio files lol *facepalm*

I hope he comes back, and realizes what was wrong, here he is blaming the audio driver ! lolol this is somewhat humourous ;)

ASIO is a nightmare, When i was searching google for clues of what could be the problem i came across a lot of PC forums with people still having issues with ASIO to this day.

tbh i think this type of error is more common than you would think, i gave a G4 sawtooth to a friend recently all set up with os 9 and the first thing he did was put in another hd and take out the one i had all set up and install usb 2.0 card + upgrade it to leopard (facepalm)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:40:28 PM by macStuff »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 10:24:15 AM »
*** UPDATE ***
Here is the working link to the download board that has the drag install and contains the Updated FW drivers:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1859.0.html

macStuff

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »
i wrote him a pm urging him to just get an compatible SSD for the main drive in the pismo and he wouldnt even need an external audio drive, but if he wanted to have one, it just has to be FIREWIRE! on MACOS9!
USB for storage is  cruel unnecessary suffering on mac os 9! thats for sure!  ;D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »
USB for storage is  cruel unnecessary suffering on mac os 9! thats for sure!
Very, Very True, USB as a storage medium is dead and stinking at USB 1.0 speeds in OS9

For new members, here are some great old topics discussed using CF and other media via FireWire
'Thumb' Drives in OS9?
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2308.msg13756.html#msg13756

Firewire 400 CF Card Reader
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2724.msg17663.html#msg17663

macStuff

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
i think sparro flew away + sold his mac  ;D

Offline Stephan-O

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 05:09:38 AM »
Hello Everybody.
Resuming this old topic.
Was someone here able to make the Digi 002 to be recognized by Mac OS9?
I'm struggling....

I have of course downloaded the freshInstall File and replaced ALL the Firewire extensions.

N_O_W_A_Y.... >:(

Still is NOT recognized by the MDD G4...
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 06:53:36 AM »
both 002 and 002 rack should work without trouble. i would suspect DAE or protools problems on your machine, not firewire. (?)

MOD: 002 rack DOESN'T work on Mac OS 9
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:31:45 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 09:03:39 AM »
Only the mixer versión works. The rack is only OS X
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »
unless you are from russia. then you can use a lada lorry with OS9

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=323926&postcount=4
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »
unless you are from russia. then you can use a lada lorry with OS9

On sample rate 96k work only 2 Adat out.
On sample rate 44.1k&48k work all 8 in/out.
Device work ok, onli lights&nofaders problem

I won't call it a fully working version even if you force mixer firmware into rack modell. And use Resedit.   ???  Russian roulette unless you are a Real Hacker

In fact it has only one user claiming.

And even with the mixer it was hard to make it working with the same RTAS than a 001 or a M-Box AFAIK.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4