Author Topic: Galaxy Librarian & Editor  (Read 29422 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:03:21 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Galaxy Librarian & Editor
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
The Editors program seems to launch OK but I can't get any of the editor modules to show up or load. I read in the manual that you must have the Librarian module installed for the Editor to work, so I thought I'd install the Librarian program which installs the modules file.

When installing the Galaxy 2.5.2 librarian program it gives me a weird error saying "1008:17,-4". I don't know what to make of this.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:57:52 PM by Syntho »

Offline English_Mac

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:51:13 AM »
yeh I've downloaded this myself and it loads up OK but there are no editors or anything other than basic stuff, the Libarary folders are empty, files removed I guess. I wanted to capture Preset voice names to load into SVP but something seems to be missing. I am assuming the app needs something to access a specific synth.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 05:29:05 AM »
i plan to get all things opcode running on my B&W g3 / sawtooth 8.6 systems..
bear with me a few days/weeks and i should get to a point where i can comment on this subject

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 05:45:32 AM »
the owner of this site himself seems to use an atari to control his hw
insert arbitrary signature here

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:44:37 AM »
http://www.houseofsynth.com/old-opcode-galaxy-plus-editors-user-manual

http://www.houseofsynth.com/hos-downloads/manuals/Opcode/Opcode-PathcTalk-Guide-1997.pdf

http://www.houseofsynth.com/hos-downloads/manuals/Opcode/Opcode-Galaxy-2.x-Manual-1995.pdf

all the opcode apps i have ever tried are very picky about os versions i think..
and i read they have big problems on os 9.. and that they should be run only from os 8.6 or even lower.. i mean look at the years involved here.. 1995-1997

those were the opcode vision years pretty much... from the early 90s to the mid-late 90s up untill 1998...  i think they run properly only on pci only macs  like a performa.. beige g3..  or 9600... the last macs compatible with them being the first g3 + g4 usb new world machines.

perhaps they are also apps that work better with very low amount of ram installed.  i dont think these apps can handle having 1gb of ram..
syntho if u are intrigued enough.. maybe try booting your 9600 with low ram and 8.6 + try again? or maybe even try it in system 7.51 i think these opcode apps would work out more successully even on 68k machines.!

on top of all that..maybe another possibility is that it wans oms+ studio vision installed + working before u run it?
french language speakers check out this site: http://www.mamosa.org/jenfi.home/detail/opcodegalaxy.php

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 03:00:47 AM »
THE FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN
1)OMS,
2)GALAXY/GALAXY PLUS EDITORS, AND
3)VISION/STUDIO VISION PRO/OVERTURE

The Open Music System (OMS) keeps track of which MIDI devices you have, how they are connected, and which patches (sounds) they are using. OMS also makes it easy for music applications to commu- nicate with MIDI hardware connected to your computer.
OMS stores information about your MIDI devices in Studio Setup documents, which are edited in the OMS Setup application. An OMS Studio Setup that accurately reflects your physical studio configura- tion, and which responds correctly in “Test Studio” mode (see MIDI Communication Problems (pg. 8)), is the first and most essential component of your MIDI system.
Galaxy is patch librarian software that can retrieve, store and orga- nize your synthesizer patches. Galaxy stores patches in Bundles, which in turn provide patch names to applications like Vision, Studio Vision and Overture. Although Galaxy works with hundreds of devices, not all instruments are supported.
If your device is not specifically supported by Galaxy and you would like to view patch names in Vision (or Studio Vision, Over- ture) you have the following options:
OMS provides a number of factory names documents. These docu- ments, which are stored in your OMS Folder, are typed-in lists of stock factory patches; this means however that you can’t alter the patches in the device or change their ordering.
Another option is to create a custom names document. To do this open the Names Window (accessed from either the Windows menu in Vision/Studio Vision or the Options menu in Overture) and type the appropriate patch names into the provided template.
Galaxy Plus Editors does everything Galaxy does and adds on- screen graphic editing of synth sounds. Not all devices supported with a Librarian module in Galaxy have a corresponding Editor module in Galaxy Plus Editors.
Ch 3: The functional relationship between OMS, Galaxy/GPE, and Vision/SVP/Overture- 4 -   Opcode Tech Primer
You will spend most of your time using Vision, Studio Vision, and Overture for writing and arranging music. They utilize the informa- tion from your OMS Studio Setup and Galaxy Bundles. Once you have successfully configured your OMS Studio Setup and loaded Galaxy Bundles from your various MIDI devices, it is not necessary to actually run those applications. You can open your OMS Studio Setup from within Vision/Studio Vision in the Setups menu and from Overture in the Options menu. In addition, choose Win- dows>Names in Vision/Studio Vision (or Options>OMS Names in Overture) to subscribe to a Bundle or Names document in order to get patch names.
Keeping in mind the functions of the various programs, and their relationship to one another can often help you focus in on where a particular problem may be occurring. For instance, if you are in Vision and you are not getting a MIDI signal in or out of a device, the first place to check is OMS, since it is mainly responsible for MIDI management. Or, if you are having trouble with a particular Bundle in Overture, the first thing to try would be to launch Galaxy and see if the same problem happens there, since Galaxy is responsible for handling patch information.

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:08:27 AM »
yeh I've downloaded this myself and it loads up OK but there are no editors or anything other than basic stuff, the Libarary folders are empty, files removed I guess. I wanted to capture Preset voice names to load into SVP but something seems to be missing. I am assuming the app needs something to access a specific synth.

Galaxy Setup and Galaxy Librarian Modules in the System Folder, and Galaxy Keywords in the Preferences folder

did u try looking for those folders in your system folder? in particular, the librarian modules, they get installed automatically only if your oms document is actually filled out 100% properly otherwise u have to install the modules yourself - this process is outlined in the galaxy manual i linked just now i suggest u or anyone whos interested in using this software READ THE MANUAL .. and only try to do this if u are using a lower end mac (graphite G4 + lower) and running a copy of vision,  studio vision pro.. or another opcode product.. + an actual opcode midi interface.. and using a mac os lower then 9.0

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:19:02 AM »
The Editors program seems to launch OK but I can't get any of the editor modules to show up or load. I read in the manual that you must have the Librarian module installed for the Editor to work, so I thought I'd install the Librarian program which installs the modules file.

When installing the Galaxy 2.5.2 librarian program it gives me a weird error saying "1008:17,-4". I don't know what to make of this.

maybe this can help? http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jul97/softfocusjul97.html - remember to keep in mind this software comes from the days of overlap between mac os 7 + 8.. 8 was brand new at the time of this article .. july 1997..

CORRUPTED PREFERENCES

Occasionally, one of the files that an application uses when it's running can become corrupted, usually resulting in small glitches or strange performance in a previously functioning program. If these files are trashed or moved when the program is not running, they will be recreated afresh when you re-launch the application.

For Vision, Studio Vision Pro or Overture, the file is in the Preferences folder (inside the System folder) and will be called 'Vision Preferences' (or 'Prefs'), or 'Studio Vision Preferences', and so on. If you develop an odd or anomalous problem in the application, simply quit the program, drag this preferences file into the trash and reopen the program. You will have to reset a few of your application's parameters -- the Metronome's assigned MIDI note, for example.

did u have studio vision installed before u installed galaxy??
im pretty sure this app is not meant to work without the rest of the opcode programs..... maybe thats why u got the errors.. theres alot of nuances that need to be taken care of when u install svp.. like for example certain fonts need to be installed + other support sub programs like somethijng called "acadia"? i will be trying to get my hands on more documentation real copies of the original program and i will figure this shit out!!!!! im not giving up;)

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/78210/

like this thread goes on to say. galaxy will most likely only have librarian modules for instruments made in 1997 or earlier

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/329809-mks-80-super-jupiter-galaxy-librarian-editor.html

heres a thread with that woman Cikira who wrote maxwerk..
http://www.cikira.com/

notice she uses a beige power macintosh + not a usb "powermac"

but yea i dont think that galaxy was meant to be used without studio vision actually installed? notice that each midi-centric daw company has their own librarian/patch editor app. and the more audio centric daws dont.. (ie cubase, protools)

studio vision - galaxy
logic - sound diver
digital performer - unisyn

we need to go over all the patch editor/midi librarian stufff!!!!!!!
this stuff is so complicated + obscure + hard to learn ..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:39:59 AM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 04:49:33 AM »
from the yahoo opcode group  8) just in case

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 04:58:33 AM »
http://web.archive.org/web/19980212111921/http://www.opcode.com/downloads/oms/mac/factory%20names/

not sure if these are modules for galaxy or just the oms names.. probably the latter

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 05:01:17 AM »
 ;D jackpot!!!!!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 11:56:27 PM »
Hey Chris, the manual for Galaxy says that there's a folder created in your System folder holding all of the editor/librarians. I only see a couple files themselves in the System folder. I have to install a librarian by dragging + dropping it onto the main Galaxy icon and it works. After that, I have to make sure there's a folder called "Galaxy Editors" in the same folder with the Galaxy program and have the appropriate editor stored in there for it to work.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:53 AM »
LIBRARIAN SUPPORT

ADA: MP-1

AKAI: S3000

ALESIS: MIDIVerb III/MIDIVerb4, QuadraVerb, QuadraVerb+/GT, QuadraVerb2, D4, DM5, QuadraSynth/Plus, S4/S4+, QS6/7/8, NanoSynth, NanoBass, NanoPiano

BOSS: SE-50

CASIO: CZ-1, CZ-101, CZ-1000/3000/5000, RZ-1, VZ-1/VZ-10M

CLAVIA: Nord Lead/Rack

CYBERSOUND: CyberSynth

J.L. COOPER: MSB 16/20, MSB+, FaderMaster, Synapse

DIGITECH: GSP-2101, Studio Quad/400

E-MU: Proteus 1/2/3 XR, Proteus FX, Procussion, MPS/Orchestral, Vintage Keys/Orbit, Sound Engine, Morpheus/UltraProteus

ENSONIQ: ESQ-1/ESQ-M, SQ80, SQ1/SQR, SQ1+/SQR+, SQ2, VFX/SD, KS-32, TS-10, DP/4

EVENTIDE: H3000

FENDER: Chroma, Polaris

KAT: DrumKAT 2.0/3.0/EZ

KAWAI: K1/K1m/K1r, K3/K3m, K4/K4r, K5/K5m, XD-5, K11, GMega

KORG: POLY/EX-800, DW-8000/EX-8000, SDD-3300, M1/M1R, M1EX/M1REX, M3R, T1/T2/T3, Wavestation/EX/AD/SR, O1/W (including Pro series), O1R/W, 03R/W, O5R/W, A1/A2, A4 Bass/Guitar, X3, X5, X5D/DR, Trinity, Trinity plus, Trinity pro, Trinity proX, N-264/364, NS5R

KURZWEIL: K1000 (SE/Extended, SE II/Extended, 1000 PX/HX/SX/GX Plus, K1200, K1200 Pro1/2/3), K2000/K2000R, K2VX, K2500/K2500R/RS

LEXICON: PCM70, PCM80/90, LXP-1, LXP-5, Reflex

LINN: LinnDrum

NOVATION: BassStation/Rack, DrumStation Rack

OBERHEIM: OB-8, Matrix-6/6R, Matrix-1000, Xpander, Matrix-12

PEAVEY: DPM-3, DPMv3, PC-1600

QUASIMIDI: Raven, Quasar

RANE: MPE 14, 28, 47

ROCKTRON: Intellifex

ROLAND: JX-8P, Juno-106, Alpha Juno 1/2, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80, Super Jupiter, D-5, D-10/110, D-20, MT-32, CM-32L/32P/64, D-50/550, D-70, U-20/220, S-330 (names only), GM-70, GP-16, GR-50, R-8, R8M, PAD-80, Sound Canvas, SC-88, JV-30, JV-80/880, JV-1000, JV-90, JD-800, JD-990, JV-1080, JV-2080, XP-50/80, XP-10, DR-660, S-760, W5/W7

SEQUENTIAL: Prophet VS, Prophet 5, SixTrak, Split-Eight

STUDIO ELECTRONICS: SE-1, ATC-1

WALDORF: Microwave, WaveSlave, Pulse/Pulse+

WEB FORMAT: MIDIEx Read/Send Librarian

YAMAHA: CS1x, DX7, DX5, DX1, TX7, TX216/816, DX7/E!, DX7/E! v2, TX81Z, DX11, DX21, DX27, DX100, FB-01, KX88/76, DX7II, DX7s, TX802, PMC1, REV-5, SPX90/SPX90 II, SPX900, DEQ7, ProMix 01, SY55, SY77/TG77, SY99, TG33, SY22/SY35, SY85, TG100, TG300, TG500, RM50, MU5, MU50/80, VL1, VL70-m

ZOOM: 9010, 9030

EDITOR SUPPORT

ALESIS: D4/DM5

CASIO: CZ-series

E-MU: Proteus 1/2/3/XR, Procussion, Morpheus/UltraProteus, Music Module

ENSONIQ: ESQ-1/ESQ-M, SQ-80

KAWAI: K1/K1r/K1m

KORG: M1/M1R, M1EX/M1REX, M3R, T1/T2/T3, Wavestation/EX/AD/SR, O1/W (including Pro series), O1R/W, O3R/W, X3, X5, 05R/W, X5D/DR, N-264/364

KURZWEIL: K1000 (SE/Extended, SE II/Extended, 1000 PX/HX/SX/GX Plus, K1200, K1200 Pro1/2/3), K2000/K2000R, K2VX

LEXICON: LXP-1/Reflex

OBERHEIM: Matrix 6/6R, Matrix-1000

ROLAND: Multi D-series (supports D-5, D-10/110, D-20, MT-32), D-50/550, D-70, U-220, R8-M, JV-80/880, JV-1000, JV-90, JD-990, JV-1080, JV-2080, XP-50/80

STUDIO ELECTRONICS: ATC-1, SE-1

WALDORF: Pulse

YAMAHA: DX/TX (supports DX7/TX7, TX216/816, DX7II, TX802), TX81Z, DX11, DX21, DX27, DX100, REV5, SPX90/SPX 90II, SY77/TG77, TG500, MU5, MU50/80

Offline ioguie

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 08:28:41 AM »
the owner of this site himself seems to use an atari to control his hw

An Atari and a Mac.

You need "Galaxy + Editors" to use Galaxy with Editors.  Regular Galaxy doesn't let you use the editors.

Galaxy's editors are great.

Offline tarogatto62

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 06:07:06 AM »
I'm quite new in the Galaxy section, and my first impression is:
It's very heartening to witness all of the people in this Galaxy Plus Editors Section, whom are able, to configure the installation using the real OMS as underlayment.  The part I am unable to fathom, is that:
Once the user is ready to work, there is no creating or opening any file, without the insertion of the All-Important-Master Floppy Disk.  From where are the "bad-boys" showing up.  Mine, and all my colleagues' who actually paid the full price of the initial, programs and all of their upgrades, are stuck with the below:
•  A Master Disk which report fatal irreparable errors
•  Files as old as their initial Yamaha TX81Z Stand-Alone Editor, which
•  due to having been upgraded to the last version of Galaxy,
•  will only open in the last version of Galaxy
Were there any such way to obtain:
•  Additional "Authorizations" or even just
•  A reliable floppy, which could RETRIEVE,
•      mine, the LAST AUTHORIZATION on earth, (that I know of),
•  so that I could port it, to my WORKING OS9.2.2 Machine,
I would love to find and purchase the item, were it an affordable.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »

galaxy is public domain since 2008. not sure about "galaxy plus" or galaxy + editors"

opcode offered it on the net including a floppy copying tool for G4s which do not support the C/R system.

i cant find the link now, but you might want to try archive.org.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 10:15:48 AM »
fuck the internet, my harddrive is bigger anyway.