Author Topic: FS: CircuitTalk (gPort clone) for PowerMac G3 and G4  (Read 2242 times)

Offline CircuitBored

FS: CircuitTalk (gPort clone) for PowerMac G3 and G4
« on: June 07, 2023, 10:33:31 AM »
This little gadget adds a serial port to PowerMac G3 and G4 computers, allowing LocalTalk or regular serial communication with a wide variety of devices. This is the second revision, which is much smaller than the original.

You can read the development thread over on the 68kmla forums, here's a link

Available:
CircuitTalk G3 (and PCI G4) - 1x purple boards 3x red boards - £60 each
CircuitTalk G4 (for all AGP G4s) - 1x red G4 kit - £50

I will ship to anywhere within reason. Here is a general guideline for postage costs:
UK - £5
Europe - £10
Americas - £20
Asia and Australasia - £25

Please send me a message if you would like one.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
Re: FS: CircuitTalk (gPort clone) for PowerMac G3 and G4
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:19:48 PM »
With geethrees available for a tenner why?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline CircuitBored

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 03:09:11 AM »
I wasn't aware that you could buy the GeeThree kits anywhere any more. Do you have a link?

As for my price: I am just one person working of my own volition. I'm not an entrepreneur or large company looking to make a quick buck.

If I factor in the cost of research and development, and the assembly and testing of each kit by hand then my "hourly rate" so to speak is somewhere around £8 per hour (aka less than minimum wage). Around £5 of each sale goes to PayPal's fees. All in, I am barely making a profit from these kits at all and any money I do make is being invested right back into creating new products for vintage machines. I am currently working on new kits for G4 Cube and the G3 Pismo, for example, and a version for Mac Mini G4 is in the pipeline. The price of the BOM has increased about 20% since I started making these kits last year yet I have decided to keep the sale price the same.

With my kits you also get the added benefit of buying something brand new for which you will receive comprehensive support for any issues (and your money back if you are not satisfied).

TL;DR: Economies of scale.

I hope that this makes sense and seems like a reasonable explanation. If you have any more questions then fire away.

Cheers,
CB

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 01:19:15 PM »
With geethrees available for a tenner why?
A tenner?
Weren't YOU the guy who recently bought (or tried to buy one) for £30?

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6634.msg50259.html#msg50259

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
that is the other smilesdavis (yes, they are two.)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 02:56:52 PM »
Nope, seems to be the same one. See # of posts.

On more serious note, I am wondering how big the market for such upgrade kit is these days.
IMO, it only makes sense to buy/use it if one wants to do something about older MIDI gear.

As to the price, it is a bit on a high side for my taste. 60+10 quid + EU Vat + Customs, if you're in EU ... ouch!
@CircuitBored, you have to manufacture in larger quantity and buy surplus parts, not at Farnell/Mouser/DigiKey/RS, if you want to succeed with this and other projects. Yes, you have to invest first, but there's no way around it. I know what I'm talking about  ;)
And, beware of CHN copycats. If they see that money could be made on something like this, they will flood ali express at $10 a piece in no time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 03:39:58 PM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 05:03:18 PM »
Nope, seems to be the same one. See # of posts.

it i so easy to expose my lies. gotta practice more.
insert arbitrary signature here