Author Topic: Mac Mini G4- modem under OS9  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Opualuan

Mac Mini G4- modem under OS9
« on: May 29, 2023, 12:19:23 AM »
I have a mac mini g4 working well under os9, but trying to use the built-in modem with zterm is not working- it does not appear to respond- no errors, just claims to dial with atdt commands but never picks up. Is the modem known to function properly on the mac mini under OS9?

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
Re: Mac Mini G4- modem under OS9
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 10:41:35 PM »
IIRC the modem is rather untested under mini OS 9. You might be spearheading the research to see if it is compatible, and if not then how to make it compatible.

Offline Opualuan

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 12:22:37 PM »
Nice. The first thing is to get sound working at all- applications access the modem as if it is there, but I don’t think any dialing is happening.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 09:32:48 AM »
For sound, try one of those USB adapters to plug in your own audio jack. Has been the go-to solution for us mini owners since the awesomeness of OS 9 arrived for it in 2018.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 10:26:54 PM »
This might sound silly, but does your Mini have modem board installed? If I'm not mistaken, modem was offered either as 'built to order' or as an upgrade kit.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 09:46:07 AM »
This might sound silly, but does your Mini have modem board installed? If I'm not mistaken, modem was offered either as 'built to order' or as an upgrade kit.

That is a pertinent question, although I can say from my personal experience of having owned (and still owning one) G4 mini that, from what I could see, the modem socket and card would come with all "first gen" Mac minis (1.25GHz and 1.42GHz), whereas the "silent upgrade" ones (1.33GHz and 1.5GHz) would come with both lacking, and the modem socket would be closed off with a plastic, grey square that fits the hole. (Well, to be absolutely accurate, this all could have been coincidental, and I cannot be certain about the 1.33GHz ones, as I never owned those.)

Incidentally, I tried transplantling the modem card and socket from a first gen mini to a silent upgrade one, and then the silent upgrade one simply died, even after removing the modem parts I installed afterwards. No idea how that happened, as I thought I was careful with static electricity, fitting etc. but who knows.