Author Topic: OS 9 ChatGPT client  (Read 6243 times)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
OS 9 ChatGPT client
« on: May 09, 2023, 01:24:13 PM »
Greystash is receiving quite a few accolades for his ChatGPT client built specifically (first) for OS 9, over on MacRumors. (And even a question as to why he chose OS 9 first.)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/chatgpt-desktop-application-for-mac-os-9.2389025/

So, because he didn’t post it here first, I say we strip him of one or two of his stripes or banish him completely, altogether (laughing).

BUT, we don’t need no stinkin’ ChatGPT client here, no how, anyway.  ;)

Well, maybe some of us might give it a whirl? But honestly, I think I might just wait. :o

Bowman: “Open the pod bay doors HAL”.

“I’m sorry Dave, I can’t do that?”

Bowman: “Why is that HAL?”.

(FBz shudders.)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: OS 9 ChatGPT client
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 01:49:38 PM »
Whatever floats his boat. And, there's more traffic at MacRumors ;)
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 01:52:25 PM »

hallo hallo, watch out, we need everything for OS9, no matter how silly it is.

will it work with free account?

while noone asked for it, i think i´ll preprare a little icon. :P

oh damn, and the monthly...
insert arbitrary signature here

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 05:31:17 PM »
Ahh I'm sorry! I feel bad advertising things like that here! I feel like I've done enough of that with other projects and you'll get sick of it..

Thank you for posting FBz I appreciate it. MacOS9Lives is my true home so I didn't want to muddy it! You all got me started down this road a few years ago!  8)

An update to the application: It now supports Mac OS 8.6 - OSX 10.6.8  :D

It is completely free to use, however it is reliant on small donations to cover running costs. I am more than happy to pay for it to an extent but it depends on how much it is used (more usage incurs more cost to me).

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 05:48:21 PM »
You know I was only just giving you “the business”.😉

But… if Sarah Conner ever shows up at my door, I’ll blame you as the source.

And ya know, it often gets a bit quiet ‘round here. Good work!

So keep us posted if the costs do get out of hand. 8)

Offline alphaTECH

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 05:55:06 PM »
Greystash is receiving quite a few accolades for his ChatGPT client built specifically (first) for OS 9, over on MacRumors. (And even a question as to why he chose OS 9 first.)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/chatgpt-desktop-application-for-mac-os-9.2389025/

So, because he didn’t post it here first, I say we strip him of one or two of his stripes or banish him completely, altogether (laughing).

Well, maybe some of us might give it a whirl? But honestly, I think I might just wait. :o

Bowman: “Open the pod bay doors HAL”.

“I’m sorry Dave, I can’t do that?”

Bowman: “Why is that HAL?”.

(FBz shudders.)

You actually sound like you're upset.  ::)

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 05:56:44 PM »
Haha yeah I know ;) I'll keep you posted, but someone please let me know if it is too much  ;D
Thank you, I hope you find it useful!

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 04:18:59 AM »
One thing got my eye on https://manticore.nz/legacyai:
"Security
Mac OS 9 was built before HTTPS was a standard protocol used for transferring information over the internet. "
BUT!:
From Wikipedia:
"Netscape Communications created HTTPS in 1994 for its Netscape Navigator web browser."
And every Netscape versions for Mac OS9 support https, but not that stupid "kill support for old" incompatible https with TLS.

Anyway security is relative when speaking about(or with) AI :)

Anyway..good job! and I hope you get donations.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 04:36:13 AM by teroyk »

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 05:35:25 AM »
One thing got my eye on https://manticore.nz/legacyai:
"Security
Mac OS 9 was built before HTTPS was a standard protocol used for transferring information over the internet. "
BUT!:
From Wikipedia:
"Netscape Communications created HTTPS in 1994 for its Netscape Navigator web browser."
And every Netscape versions for Mac OS9 support https, but not that stupid "kill support for old" incompatible https with TLS.

Anyway security is relative when speaking about(or with) AI :)

Anyway..good job! and I hope you get donations.

That's interesting! I had no idea Netscape had support for it, very cool. The TLS issue is a pain :(
Thank you teroyk!

One last update:
There was a bug which broke the update flow, so anyone using the version 1.0-1.1 (especially Carbon) apps won't download the correct updates. If you want to fix this you will need to download the new version (I know it's annoying :(). See the update notes here: http://manticore.nz/news/legacyai-breaking-changes/

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 08:23:20 AM »
Downloaded the program, and it is really nice. It is really motivating that such clients can be done for our plattform! Thank you for the effords.

There are two issues I´d like to talk about:

1.) Problems with Umlauts. Other languages than English do not work well. I suspect some display problem, as character coding seems to arrive correctly?

2.) The answers of ChatGTP with this client are crap. I did not play much with ChatGTP in general, but what I saw at friends places with the "logged in versions" the chats were 10 times better than what I get with this client, ... It puts out standard-paragraphs with completely wrong informations, reapeats itself word by word, ... Also when changing the model it stays the same. Is it some crippled version that the client is connecting to?

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 08:25:08 PM »
Thanks Mat!  ;D

1.) The next update will be for bug fixes and I'll look into this too.

2.) Yes I agree the earlier GPT models aren't great, it was using the text-davinci-003 model which is old now. I've just addressed this with a v1.3 update. The latest version now has support for the ChatGPT-3.5 AI model, which is the standard model everybody has access to at OpenAI's website. This will greatly improve responses! You can choose which model you use within the application's preferences.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 08:52:49 PM »
I know that everyone is obsessed with it and thinks that this is the "greatest thing since sliced bread", but, to quote Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "what is it good for?"  ;)
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 09:48:26 PM »
You are right, the 3.5 model has much better responses now. Thanks for the immediate update to version 1.3!

For a future update, may I suggest to make the window resizeable if it is not too much coding work?

And regarding "what is it good for", at least we have now the possibility to investigate this. Especially for people like me who are only using MacOS 9 this is a great improvement! ;)

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2023, 04:00:26 AM »
You are right, the 3.5 model has much better responses now. Thanks for the immediate update to version 1.3!

That's good to hear!

For a future update, may I suggest to make the window resizeable if it is not too much coding work?

Sure thing, I'll look into that over the next few weeks.

I've just added a Universal Binary release which means application support now spans 14 Mac OS systems from OS 8.1 - El Capitan!

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 04:08:54 AM »
I know that everyone is obsessed with it and thinks that this is the "greatest thing since sliced bread", but, to quote Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "what is it good for?"  ;)

The main reason I built it was because accessing information/browsing the internet under OS9 is a pain. I always find myself having to switch computers to find some simple information. I took this screenshot of one question I asked which blew me away initially, and gave me the idea to build an OS9 client. It's a simple question/answer but I couldn't find the preferences and searching Google under OS9 would have been a nightmare..

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023, 05:22:11 AM »
when i remote win10 from OS9, my desktop remote app is kdx, which does not support copy and paste from the host. so a frontend like yours is most welcome.

it is even a useful project for modern systems. getting rid of a browser requirement for such service is always a good idea.

i am wondering anyway how long it could take that someone will offer a "resold" shared pro account for a chatbot.

hopefully the donation system will work out. otherwise you will have to implement a limit, say like 200 queries per 24 hours or something in that direction.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2023, 05:27:35 AM »

headlines about "next revolution" or "great danger" are part of an advertising campaign.

people dont even know that they have AI technology in their photoshop plug-ins since about 4 years.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2023, 06:11:22 AM »
Two updates a day, what a service! ;)

The 1.5 carbon-version cannot be unpacked under Mac OS 9.x Stuffit Expander 5.5 reports a unknown ZIP-header and does nothing, Stuffit 7.0.3 unpacks it with the result of generic files without any creator (plus this 2nd folders with "_" before the name). 

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2023, 03:06:58 PM »
i am wondering anyway how long it could take that someone will offer a "resold" shared pro account for a chatbot.

hopefully the donation system will work out. otherwise you will have to implement a limit, say like 200 queries per 24 hours or something in that direction.

This is on the cards, I'm surprised at how much usage it's had over the last three days. It completely blew over my initial budget but thankfully a few donators have kept it above water for now. I'm hoping usage drops a little and things steady out soon.

Online Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2023, 03:09:48 PM »
Two updates a day, what a service! ;)

The 1.5 carbon-version cannot be unpacked under Mac OS 9.x Stuffit Expander 5.5 reports a unknown ZIP-header and does nothing, Stuffit 7.0.3 unpacks it with the result of generic files without any creator (plus this 2nd folders with "_" before the name).

Yikes, thank you I'll look into that now!