Author Topic: Trim Extensions & Multiprocessing!  (Read 1304 times)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Trim Extensions & Multiprocessing!
« on: May 09, 2023, 12:49:00 PM »

So many QuickBench results have been factored here at The Ranch lately. AND… from so many different machines here (and from other members & machines too). Thought I should get this bit out of my head and off the desktop.

The main "tests results" image here is quite large, so it is “clickable” to display it at full size. And the QB 2.0 results are from tests ran on a 1.25 GHz DP MDD with a SiL3112 SATA Controller card + 128 GB Inland SSD.

I very strongly suggest running QuickBench 4.0 on OS 9 HDDs or OS 9 based partitions, from dual boot machines also running Tiger. (QB 4.0 won’t run from OS 9.) But you still can use QB 2.0 from / and on OS 9… if you don’t mind adding up and factoring all of those columns of numbers yourself. QB 4.0 is simply so much easier! And another fine argument for having a dual boot, OS 9 & OS X setup.

However the point here is that if you don’t really need Multiprocessing for a Dual Processor CPU (and most applications do not) so you CAN increase your machine’s performance by simply removing the Multiprocessing folder from your OS 9 Extensions folder.

Standard practice: I trim my running OS 9 Extensions & Control Panels - using guidelines from DieHard and MacTron from these posts / threads: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2765.msg17153.html#msg17153 AND… http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,570.msg1467.html#msg1467

AND such selective trimming results in my beginning “Basic” OS 9 Extension Set for nearly all G4 and some G3 machines here. The QuickBench 2.0 scores for this are represented in the first column on the left, below. (A)

Next I tested again with ALL Extensions disabled. Center column. (B)

Then - tested again with my Basic set (on the right)… BUT with the Multiprocessing folder removed from the Extensions folder. (C)

While (B) of course, scores better than (A).
(C) then also scores… better than (A).

+5.61 points better. Over time, doesn’t every little bit help?

You do need some extensions after all / but maybe not Multiprocessing!
      So… bye-bye Multiprocessing folder! Test this for yourself. ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 01:02:59 PM by FBz »