Author Topic: QuickTake 150 > PowerBook G3 issues  (Read 1853 times)

Offline paprika

• Newcomer
QuickTake 150 > PowerBook G3 issues
« on: May 08, 2023, 01:55:51 PM »
Hi all,

I am currently attempting to utilize a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet to transfer the images off of my QuickTake 150 camera.

TL;DR, PhotoFlash software complains dependencies that appear installed aren't, and I am unable to interface with the camera. Thus, I have no way to get my photos off or view them.

I recently corrupted the old install of 9.x on this laptop. I initialized the drive (pretty sure it has significantly less space now, 190gb to ~10gb) and installed the 9.2.2 install from here. This works and the computer does seem to recognize the QuickTake camera is plugged in. I can now also install the QuickTake software, as before it would freeze.

I also have the QuickTake 150 software installed. Since installing, every time I start the computer, I get the message "The 'QuickTime MPEG Extension' was not installed. It installs PhotoFlash which seemingly works otherwise, but when I attempt to run the QuickTake applescript scripts, I get messages that required components are not available:

Sorry, the PhotoFlash™ Camera Utilities scripting addition which is required for this script is not installed. Please make sure that all AppleScript, PhotoFlash, and QuickTake software is installed.

I do see this addition in the System Folder/Extensions/Scripting Additions folder (without the ™). I tried adding this symbol as well to these names but it was no use. Does anybody have any other ideas to get this working or alternate methods? If it matters, the installer put the program folder directly onto my Hard Drive, not in the applications folder. I am new to OS 9 in general.

I also tried GraphicConverter 3.9.1 but could not get it to work either. I tried installing Mac OS 8.1 but failed and 8.5 is also not willing to install. If anybody has any suggestions for A. the drive capacity and B. the QuickTake transfer, please let me know!

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
-paprika

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: QuickTake 150 > PowerBook G3 issues
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 05:33:19 PM »
Page 5 of the QuickTake manual…
https://archive.org/details/aqt150ugfm/page/n13/mode/2up
says you must have the Installer. (No dragging und dropping.)

So you might need to download (at the least) the QuickTake
“Camera Access” software from Macintosh Garden…
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktake-software

It has been way too long ago for me to remember. ::)

“Fun” Macworld article about the 150…
https://www.macworld.com/article/227543/peek-into-the-viewfinder-of-a-quicktake-150.html

“Mar 9, 2016 — Apple's first (OK, second) digital camera is a 16-exposure-shooting,
preview-lacking, AA-battery-killing monster.

I do remember them eating batteries like snacks.

And here are some search results from 68kMLA…
https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?search/244334/&q=Apple+QuickTake+150&o=relevance

Where Rockin’ Kat sez:
“…of course AFTER I installed it on my 3400 under 9.1 - I learned I needed system 7 to get it to work.
It WON’T (or at least as I've read) work with anything but OS 7. No OS 8 or 9.... just to save you a little misery.”

Good luck.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 05:55:54 PM by FBz »

Offline paprika

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 09:51:43 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate all of the resources and info!

For the QuickTake software, I did use the installer and it does seem to work on 9.2.2, but no dice on running these scripts even with dependencies in place. I was hopeful when it successfully installed everything. That said, it likely has to do with the incompatibility with OS 8 or 9 you mentioned, I hadn't heard of that.... I'll see if I can possibly get System 7 working. I'll try the System 7.6.1 release soon and keep my fingers crossed!

As far as batteries, I do have the AC adapter so I'll just need to stand near an outlet for pictures :D. In my experience it hasn't been too bad so far, but it also hasn't gotten much use given I can't see the pictures. Other software with Twain capture options don't seem to want to work with it either unfortunately.

I feel so close but so far, I've been trying to hold out on getting the Apple 8-pin serial to DB-9 serial cable and using the Windows software.  ::)

Thanks again for your response! I will give this all a go!
-paprika

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 07:56:44 AM »
Might also try earlier versions of Photoshop?

Search https://macintoshgarden.org/  ;)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 01:30:06 PM »
Discovered here when installing OS 8.51 on a B&W.
I was surprised that “we” had this download available. ::)
(Thanks V.Yakob!)

From “About Mac OS 8.5” on the OS 8.51 Installer download, located here:
 http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,805.0.html

… and from Miscellaneous notes:

Maybe revert that Wallstreet PowerBook back to OS 8.51 …or even OS 8?

Offline paprika

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 11:25:11 AM »
Hey! Thanks for these replies! I have been behind on other projects and unable to take a look at this in a bit.

I was having trouble reverting it from 9.2.2 to 8.5.1 or 8.1 using bootable CDs. I will have to give it another attempt soon, but when I'd try to boot from disk it didn't want to load. Running the setup files on the discs didn't seem to work either.

I did try an older version of Photoshop that had TWAIN capture on it (before the original drive got corrupted from being unable to shutdown or repair) but it didn't work. Might try again on a different Mac version.

I will give this another go soon and reply back! Appreciate the ideas, thank you!