Author Topic: Ego Systems G 6400 Sound Module circa 2000, 64-voice w/built-in MPU-401  (Read 2233 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member

OK, so the quest for an Audiophile FW on ebay led me to an auction across the water in the UK, after buying the M-Audio FW Audiophile for testing on the Mac Mini, I noticed the auction also included (apparently free) an very strange looking sound module with a very old red LED patch number readout.  I never, even saw one of these apparently made in Korea in 2000 (the MIDI capital of the word... yeah, right); it is know as an...

"Ego Sys Dr. G6400"

If anyone ever used one of these or even heard of one of these I will eat my hat.  I need the manual if it is anyone can source it.  I even emailed "Chester Lim" the designer and the email was kicked back, so I do not know if he is alive in 2023.

I can't wait to hear what this thing sounds like... I mean 64 voices was no slouch in 2000, and this thing has an MPU-401 MIDI interface built in ?   It has a stereo line input to mix incoming audio with the internal sounds ?!  20 bit converters... this this may be a real freak on nature... lol and this thing is only 3 X 5 inches and 1 inch thick

« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 09:51:46 AM by DieHard »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
it says "made in korea", so be careful that there are no hostile monsterrobots with 17 dragonheads inside.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
I'm nearly certain what you'll find in there is a GM chip from a PC soundcard or something like those Waveblaster boards.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
I'm nearly certain what you'll find in there is a GM chip from a PC soundcard or something like those Waveblaster boards.

Wow, that would suck, I was hoping for something better than that :(

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -

But if has Waveblaster board made by Ensoniq...but I think that GS logo give hint, if there is Waveblaster-card then it might made by Roland.
But not bad size box and 20-bit converters for Waveblaster-cards..but only if there is waveblaster socket.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son

To be clear, I have no idea. It might be a fully custom synth with magical sounds found nowhere else. But this is, as far as I know, the company that's now known as ESI. They make cheap, simple stuff, and the features and fact that it mentions the MPU401 just all seems reminiscent of a chip from a soundcard - which would have been a cheap, simple way to make something like this in 2000.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
I found interesting article about another Eco Sys product:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ego-sys-wami-rack-24
"Mac drivers are being developed at the moment"..I just wondering did they ever made them..product is from 2000 so, if they made it must be for MacOS9 compatible.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
o be clear, I have no idea. It might be a fully custom synth with magical sounds found nowhere else. But this is, as far as I know, the company that's now known as ESI. They make cheap, simple stuff

Yes, researched and already emailed ESI a few days ago, think they are in Germany, I was hoping they may have a PDF since it looks like they acquired Ego Sys

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
OMG, just checked the email ! and got the manual, his response is pretty funny :)

I attached the manual for the curious

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Hah! That's about as General MIDI as it gets… right down to the Ch 10 drums. I probably have 3 or 4 old mods with those exact sounds in those exact positions. I still have a Roland MT-32, and FB-01 and on and on.

Looks like though, what you got is a Quickstart sheet–not the manual. So, you get to dig out a DE-9 to DIN 8 cable, plug it into your most-disposable Mac and see what happens.

What? You don't have a DE9-to-DIN 8 adapter? Well, if YOU don't, nobody does.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
I found interesting article about another Eco Sys product:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ego-sys-wami-rack-24

yeah, that is where i know the name from.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
OMG, just checked the email ! and got the manual, his response is pretty funny :)

It seems that ESI is good company...if try ask from some different company about old manuals, they don't help.

It is little step forward from GM..variation names are same than Roland GS. Somebody should open it...

EDIT: I wrote on sentence more clear.