Author Topic: WTB: ADC to DVI adaptor  (Read 1646 times)

Offline alphaTECH

• Enthusiast Member
WTB: ADC to DVI adaptor
« on: April 30, 2023, 04:13:47 PM »
Does anyone have a spare one of these lying around they'd like to sell off? Will pay $40 AUD plus shipping costs.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: WTB: ADC to DVI adaptor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 04:03:24 PM »
A SPARE one? Of these? Hahahahahahahaha……

There was a guy on ebay who sold over a hundred of them used at $45 US last year. I got one of the last ones.
I certainly don't consider it to be a "spare"!

Seriously though…… The problem is that Apple designed and only Apple used the ADC connector pair, so there weren't a lot ever made. The only use for such an adapter now is to connect a DVI monitor to an old AGP (probably 4x) graphics card in an old PPC Mac.

There IS one solution I know of: Put out a holler for an old defective Apple Studio Display and/or a Cinema Display. Virtually ALL of the little Studio Displays crapped out and a lot of the Cinemas are really old and worn out so you may be able to lay hands on one for little or no money. The objective is to get your hands on the male ADC connector. You can buy female DVI connectors easily so, the end of the ADC cable cut off with 6 inches of wire left and a decent soldering iron…

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 04:17:28 PM »
So roughly at today’s exchange rate… $26.51.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 02:20:59 AM »
The only use for such an adapter now is to connect a DVI monitor to an old AGP (probably 4x) graphics card in an old PPC Mac.

oh, that´s good that someone explained that AGP to DVI connectors can be used to connect AGP stuff to DVI stuff, he probably did not know that when he asked for one.

but jokes aside, i recently tried to find one here in europe and i gave up after 6 months.

instead i have 3 AGP to VGA adapters now.

which in theory would be fine since i only use monitors with both types of connections - but now i have to deal with that other issue with >3 meters VGA cables again, which are also close to impossible to find (unless you want to spend 200 bucks.) a DVI adapter would have solved that problem.

so AGP to DVI is something which has a legitimate place on our wishlist, just as the ATX to QS/MDD adapters do.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 01:19:33 PM »
oh, that´s good that someone explained that AGP to DVI connectors can be used to connect AGP stuff to DVI stuff, he probably did not know that when he asked for one.
I mentioned that ONLY to illustrate why there are so few ADC connectors in existence.
But hey, that's what I like about you 110, you've never met a posting you couldn't add an unnecessary snarky comment to.
Maybe you can post a picture of an AGP connector all of us who have never seen one.

Offline alphaTECH

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 01:39:22 PM »
So roughly at today’s exchange rate… $26.51.

Correct!

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 04:40:23 AM »
I have one spare here. Well, not spare, bnut i dont need it.