Author Topic: Application to create patcher for System suitcase?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Application to create patcher for System suitcase?
« on: April 26, 2023, 05:25:51 PM »
Does anyone know if there is an application for OS9 out there that can create patcher which always deletes specific resource(s) from System suitcase file?

ResCompare can create patches, but it always expects the same file with the same size and contents that was used when patch was created.
System suitcase changes all the time and every user might have slightly different suitcase, so this one won't work.

There was another application, Patch ...something, that I used some time ago. It allowed to search for particular bytes / byte pattern and replace those. This also won't work, since I want to completely delete the resource in question.

I am also not friends with Apple Script, if you want to send me in that direction.. ;)

There are applications that install their own resources into System suitcase, like network drivers, for example. This is the similar case here.
I can do it by hand with ResEdit, no problem, but I can not expect that every user out there can do the same. Hence the need for a patcher.

I vaguely remember that VISE could create something like that, but I might be mistaken.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
Re: Application to create patcher for System suitcase?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 06:17:36 PM »
If ResEdit or Resorcerer provides the right OSA verbs, you could do it pretty easily with AppleScript.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 07:24:25 AM »
What do you mean by "If ResEdit or Resorcerer provides the right OSA verbs"? That AppleScript interacts with either of the two? If so, then this is not what I have in mind. I do not expect the average user to have any such tools on his/her machine.
What I'm after is simple application that the user can double click and forget about the rest.

For example - if the Apple's Network Software Installer can install Ethernet, TokenRing etc. drivers into System suitcase, there should be a way to remove them in a similar fashion, no?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 12:19:18 AM »
i think ResCopy can remove individual resources, but it is 25 years ago that i had that installed. ResCopy 4.0b1.sea
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 05:15:43 AM »
Thanks! I don't think I have it in my archives, but I'll have a look.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 06:30:42 AM »
google finds it on garden ftp, but it is not public on garden as it seems.

everything else you can find is a windows app for monitor resolutions.

if you dont find it, i will have a look here.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 02:25:40 PM »
Yeah, thanks, that would be cool. I can't find it anywhere. Was it ever included in any of the developer CDs?

P.S. If it's too much hassle, just forget about it. I personally don't need it. I was thinking more about others and sharing stuff that I was sitting on for well over 20 years. But judging by the (lack of) activity here lately, I doubt anyone will need or appreciate it.