Author Topic: Diehard rambles on and also re-visits the Mac mini G4 and FW410 in 2023…  (Read 6226 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
If size not matter and you have money the Tascam FW1884 has 4 in and out for MIDI and high quality audio I/O with enough connectors for normal use and faders for use with Logic.

OK, so I am asking for something small and you give me a full motorized control surface / interface  ;)

But I will forgive you since I absolutely love the FW-1884, but alas, not for my mini DAW testing setup.

Even today, a SN 32-bit setup and the FW-1884, would make almost any musician very happy.

One ending on eBay in flawless condition for $107 ? with no bids... eBay item number:285246928801

[youtube]aXa4G1erDBg[/youtube]

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
If size not matter and you have money the Tascam FW1884 has 4 in and out for MIDI and high quality audio I/O with enough connectors for normal use and faders for use with Logic.
OK, so I am asking for something small and you give me a full motorized control surface / interface  ;)

As I said, if size not matter :)

But back to FW410 problem..I think we should test if some early OSX (for 10.1.5 or for 10.2) driver tell something more about problem. Check both bootloader and firmaware version from about screen. There can be little (very little) possibility that some early OSX PPC driver downgrade them to version that work with OS9.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
The Dr G and the M-Audio audiophile arrived late last week, shipped from Greece to USA in the original M-Audio Box, but no secondary box, just a large envelope.

The Dr G arrived with the main knob broken off the PCB board :(

The Audiophile arrived in perfect condition, but is not seen in the OS 9 M-Audio panel NOR is the ASIO driver communicating with the unit.  I have tried 3 versions of the drivers and control panel.

At this point, I give up or try a Roland FA-101.  I am starting to think a small (non-rack) FW interface for the mini is non-existent under OS9.

If anyone has any success using a small FW interface under OS9, please post details...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
i have a small behringer, but until now never used it so ic ant tell how good it works. it could end up with a macmini one day.

but there is nothing wrong with using USB. then you have the fw port free for a HD.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
I am getting less tenacious in my old age.  I give up.  A "No Go" on the FW Audiophile in OS 9. 

I will try the audiophile on a Windows PC, I already tried the FW 410 on a Windows 10 PC with the new Bandlab Cakewalk version and it worked perfectly and showed:

Panel: 5.10.0.5058
driver: 5.10.0.5058
bootloader: 2003/04/04 13:46:25
firmware: 2007/05/04 10:26:56
hardware: model:2  version:1

I am guessing that (as stated many times), the newer firmware is kryptonite for the OS 9 control panel and ASIO drivers

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Quitter!  :o

You know I am joking (and laughing).

I remember the last time "WE" mounted an attack on the FW410.
Absolutely NO FUN AT ALL!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
… and yet again, we are reminded of the definition of insanity.  :o :P :'(

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
I already tried the FW 410 on a Windows 10 PC with the new Bandlab Cakewalk version and it worked perfectly and showed:
bootloader: 2003/04/04 13:46:25
firmware: 2007/05/04 10:26:56
I am guessing that (as stated many times), the newer firmware is kryptonite for the OS 9 control panel and ASIO drivers

It seems that is same bootloader and firmware version that in my FW410. And I know that at least OSX10.6 driver update to those versions without asking.
I might test what happens if I try some older drivers for Win and OSX, hoping that some driver version cannot read versions numbers and try update (=downgrade this time) the version  what came with old driver...but that goes my someday-todo-list. so don't hold the breath :)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
I decided to give the Mini a break until I could get a Roland FA-101 and I broke out my quietest desktop (a Modded 933 QS).  This QS 933 is now the main storage server with 3TB of OS9 storage.

The project for this weekend, since southern CA was getting a hurricane (first one since 1939)...was to finally start going thru (4) racks of external hard drives and various CD/DVD folders that have live band recordings from 2004 to 2016, and a ton of stuff for the site.  A lot of the toast images are duplicates, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see if I can find any legacy stuff that never made it here.  Of course I will check the Garden, if it is already there, no sense in posting it here again.

I have a new system of cataloging and coping everything to (3) sets of OWC mini duals, and this new system is working out awesome; I am condensing stuff and labeling stuff, and utilizing the OS9 "Comment" field to uniquely identify my folders.  Turning the "Comment" field on in the finder view is much better than using color labels since I always forget later, exactly what I was trying to represent with a certain color.

I will be comparing ISO and toast images to some of the original CD/DVDs and making sure eveything is 100%; At one point, many original CDs/DVDs will need a new Home, so PM me if you are interested in collecting old software items for the cost of shipping.  Lord knows, it is a time to consolidate and thin down my storage bins.  I'll keep you guys posted on what goodies need to go :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 02:58:35 PM by DieHard »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
I figured it couldn't hurt to see if I can find any legacy stuff that never made it here.  Of course I will check the Garden, if it is already there, no sense in posting it here again.

Garden missing some driver Floppys and CDs, example for Presonus Firestation...sometimes driver Floppys and CDs has more than just drivers. Hybrid toast images would be cool, because sometimes PC-side has some extras that works with Virtual PC.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
A very close and dear friend from the Forum sent me the Elusive Roland FA-101 Audio interface.

It is with a heavy heart I can report the following...

The Roland ASIO drivers & control panel software are very limited.  The control panel only lets you change the audio Buffer size, and although the ASIO driver can playback pristine audio and route it to any of the outputs of the FA-101, I cannot get Cubase to record audio from any of the inputs.  So alas, if we can get another tester to confirm this, I do not know, but it appears it is also another "crippled" interface in OS9 :(

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
The Roland ASIO drivers & control panel software are very limited.  The control panel only lets you change the audio Buffer size, and although the ASIO driver can playback pristine audio and route it to any of the outputs of the FA-101, I cannot get Cubase to record audio from any of the inputs.  So alas, if we can get another tester to confirm this, I do not know, but it appears it is also another "crippled" interface in OS9 :(

Have you driver CD-ROM?

I hope that this is not same thing that some another firewire boxes, that you need separate router or mixer software from driver CD-ROM (not just driver or control panel). That is why I looking driver CD-ROMs for first generation (s200) mLAN devices.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Have you driver CD-ROM?

I hope that this is not same thing that some another firewire boxes, you need router or mixer software from driver CD-ROM. That is why I looking driver CD-ROMs for first generation (s200) mLAN devices.

No CD-ROM, Just the Roland Website drivers.  I am not sure if it is ASIO 2.0 compliant.

Eitherway, even without mixer software, the ASIO driver should have ALL inputs and Outputs in the single driver.

The MOTU 828 may be the best solution for OS9 with "not-so-great" converters, but we all know that we can still get fine results with a good mic and pre-amp.  It would be great if any members with a MOTU 828 can give us their review

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Have you driver CD-ROM?

I hope that this is not same thing that some another firewire boxes, you need router or mixer software from driver CD-ROM. That is why I looking driver CD-ROMs for first generation (s200) mLAN devices.

No CD-ROM, Just the Roland Website drivers.  I am not sure if it is ASIO 2.0 compliant.

Eitherway, even without mixer software, the ASIO driver should have ALL inputs and Outputs in the single driver

Test with Cakewalk Metro 5, it only works with ASIO 1 drivers.

Actually example Echo Audio Layla24 Laptop and RME Digiface drivers needs that mixer software is opened before start Logic or Cubase.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
It's ASIO 2... also got other info from an HTML file that was in the install folder...

About this driver

This driver supports OMS and ASIO 2.0.
System requirements

This driver has the following requirements.

Operating System
    Mac OS 9.2 or later

Computer
    Apple Macintosh computer equipped with a FireWire port as standard equipment

OMS Version
    2.3.5 or later

FreeMIDI Version
    1.48 or later

ASIO Version
    ASIO 2.0 (You cannot use this driver with software that does not support ASIO 2.0)

CPU / Clock
    For 44.1/48 kHz operation: PowerPC G3 / 600MHz or better, PowerPC G4 / 500MHz or better
    For 88.2/96 kHz operation: PowerPC G4 / 700MHz or better
    For 192 kHz operation: PowerPC G4 / 1GHz or better

Memory
    256MB or more (You must turn virtual memory "off" before using this driver.)

*   This driver has been shown to function properly when used with average computer systems having specifications that conform to the above guidelines. You should be aware, however, that there are numerous other variables that can affect performance, including differences in hardware design, system configuration, and overall combination of software applications that are used. Therefore, the actual system requirements could be different than the above.

Cautions and Limitations

You cannot use the FA-101 in the Classic environment of Mac OS X.
    Virtual memory cannot be used. You must make memory settings to turn virtual memory "off" before using this.
    OMS Version 2.3.5 or later is required in order to use the FA-101 OMS driver.
    FreeMIDI Version 1.48 or later is required in order to use the FA-101 with FreeMIDI.
    In order to use the FA-101 with FreeMIDI, you need to disable OMS's "IAC Driver."
    Make sure to use a FireWire cable to connect the FA-101 and your computer before you start up your sequencer or related software.
    The FA-101 supports only ASIO. You cannot use it via Sound Manager.
    While your sequencer or related software is running, you must never disconnect its FireWire cable.
    Wait until you've quit your sequencer or related software before disconnecting the FireWire cable from the FA-101.
    If you want to use the digital input, you must start up your sequencer or other software after the FA-101's SYNC indicator is lit green.
    Set your Macintosh so it won't go to sleep.
    The FA-101 cannot be used simultaneously with a DV camera connected via IEEE 1394.

Installation
Installing the FA-101 Driver (FireWire, OMS)
The FA-101 FireWire driver and the FA-101 OMS driver will be installed when you use "FA-101 Driver-E Installer."
If you want to use the FA-101 with OMS, you must first install OMS before installing the FA-101 driver. If you want to use the FA-101 with FreeMIDI, you must first install both OMS and FreeMIDI.

Double-click the "FA-101 Driver-E Installer" icon to start up the installer.
    *   The OMS driver will not be installed if OMS has not been installed correctly on your system. If you want to use OMS, click [Quit] to abort the driver installation, and install OMS correctly. Then perform the driver installation once again.
    *   If you want to use the FA-101 with FreeMIDI, you must first install both OMS and FreeMIDI.
    Click [Install].
    When installation is completed, click [Quit] to finish the installer.
    From the Special menu, select "Restart" to restart your computer.

This completes installation of the FA-101 driver. Next you will make OMS settings or FreeMIDI settings.

Installing the ASIO Driver
In order to use the ASIO driver, you must first use "FA-101 Driver-E Installer" to install the FA-101 FireWire driver.

From the ASIO folder, copy the "FA-101 ASIO Driver" driver to the ASIO Drivers folder of the sequencer software/audio data editing software you are using.

This completes installation of the ASIO driver. Next you will make Settings for an ASIO-compatible application.
Before you begin
OMS settings

Use a FireWire cable to connect the FA-101 and your computer.
    In the "Opcode" folder, open the "OMS Applications" folder, and double-click the "OMS Setup" icon.
    If the "Apple Talk" dialog box appears, select [Turn It Off]. Then click [OK] in the dialog box that appears next.
    The first time OMS is started up, a "Create a New Studio Setup" dialog box will appear. Click [OK]. If this is the second or later time, select "New Studio Setup" from the File menu.
    The "OMS Driver Search" dialog box will appear. Click [Search].
    When the search has been completed, verify that the "OMS Driver Setup" dialog box lists the "FA-101-1," and click [OK].
    *   If the dialog box does not show "FA-101-1," check whether the FA-101 is connected correctly, and start up OMS Setup once again.
    Verify that the "OMS MIDI Device Setup" dialog box lists the "FA-101-1," and with the check box checked, click [OK].
    A dialog box will appear, allowing you to save the settings in a file. Input the desired filename, and click [Save].
    *   [When using the FA-101 with FreeMIDI]
    If the Studio Setup window indicates "IAC Driver," delete this, and then save the setup file again.
    From the Edit menu, select "OMS MIDI Setup." In the OMS MIDI Setup dialog box that appears, check "Run MIDI in background," and click [OK].
    Verify that MIDI transmission and reception occur correctly. From the Studio menu, choose [Test Studio].
    *   If a MIDI sound module is connected to the FA-101, the following step will cause a relatively loud sound to be produced by the sound generator, so it is a good idea to turn down the volume on the sound generator first.
    If a MIDI sound module is connected to the FA-101's MIDI OUT connector, click the "FA-101-1" icon in the Studio Setup window. If you hear sound, the settings have been made correctly.
    After you have verified this, and exit OMS Setup.
    Make MIDI device settings on your sequencer software. For details on settings, refer to the manual that came with your software.

This completes OMS settings.

FreeMIDI settings
*   If you are using the FA-101 with FreeMIDI, set FreeMIDI to OMS Compatibility mode. This means that you will need to make OMS settings before you make FreeMIDI settings. Make settings as described in "OMS settings" in this document. You will also need to delete the "IAC Driver" in step 8 of "OMS settings."

Use a FireWire cable to connect the FA-101 and your computer.
    Open the "FreeMIDI Applications" folder, and double-click the "FreeMIDI Setup" icon.
    *   When "OMS is installed on this computer..." appears, click [OMS].
    The first time FreeMIDI is started up, a "Welcome to FreeMIDI!" dialog box will appear. Click [Continue]. If this is the second or later time, select "FreeMIDI Preferences" from the File menu.
    Make sure that "Use OMS when available" is checked in the FreeMIDI Preferences dialog box. If it is unchecked, attach the check mark, and restart FreeMIDI.
    Verify that MIDI transmission and reception occur correctly. From the MIDI menu, choose "Check Connections."
    *   If a MIDI sound module is connected to the FA-101, the following step will cause a relatively loud sound to be produced by the sound generator, so it is a good idea to turn down the volume on the sound generator first.
    If a MIDI sound module is connected to the FA-101's MIDI OUT connector, click the "FA-101-1" icon in the setting window. If you hear sound, the settings have been made correctly.
    After you have verified this, and exit FreeMIDI Setup.
    Make MIDI device settings on your sequencer software. For details on settings, refer to the manual that came with your software.

This completes FreeMIDI settings.

Settings for an ASIO-compatible application

* Note!
    After changing the settings, you must restart the application that uses the FA-101. Some applications may have various other settings within their audio settings.

Use a FireWire cable to connect the FA-101 and your computer, and then start up the ASIO-compatible sequencer software you will be using.
    In the ASIO Driver settings of your sequencer software, select the "EDIROL FA-101" driver.
    *   Roland can provide no guarantees or support regarding the operation of software made by another company. Please contact the manufacturer of your software.
    Exit the ASIO application you're using.
    Make settings in the ASIO control panel as necessary. In the Apple menu, choose Control Panels and open "EDIROL FA-101 Control Panel."
    *   If your ASIO application is using the FA-101, you won't be able to use the menus, sliders, and buttons that are displayed in the control panel. In order to change the buffer size, you'll have to close the ASIO application that's using the FA-101.
    *   You can't use the control panel if the FA-101 is not connected to your Macintosh.
    *   You can't open the FA-101 Control Panel from the ASIO Control Panel button of the sequencer. You need to select the "EDIROL FA-101 Control Panel" from Control Panels in the Apple menu.

[ASIO Buffer Size]
        Ordinarily, set the seventh position from the left for the buffer size.

* Note
        If notes are broken off prematurely, increase the Buffer Size.
        If you want to set the latency low, decrease the Buffer Size.
    [Driver Buffer Size]
        Normally, you should choose Small.

* Note
        If you experience clicks or pops, select Large.
        If you want to decrease the latency, select Small.

When you're finished making changes, click [Apply] to have your changes take effect, and then choose Quit from the File menu to close the "EDIROL FA-101 Control Panel."

* If you are using Cubase
        In the [Options]-[Audio Setup]-[System] settings in Cubase, clear the [Advanced Multi-Processing] check box.

Troubleshooting
Problems related to the ASIO driver
*   Refer to the Troubleshooting section of the FA-101 owner's manual.

Can't hear audio data from the FA-101
    Install the FA-101 FireWire Driver.

Check the ASIO settings of your sequencer software or audio data editing software.
    *   For details, refer to the manual for your software.
        Roland can provide no guarantees or support regarding the operation of software made by another company. Please contact the manufacturer of your software.

Interruptions in the sound (clicks and pops)
    In the EDIROL FA-101 Control Panel, move the ASIO Buffer Size slider to the far right, and set the Driver Buffer Size menu to Large.

Make the following settings, and then restart your system.

In Apple menu -> Chooser, set AppleTalk to "Inactive."
        In Control Panels -> Memory, turn Virtual Memory "Off."
        Depending on your type of Internet connection, use the appropriate method or settings as follows.

1. If you are connected to the Internet via a LAN cable
            Leave the LAN cable connected.
        2. If you are connected to the Internet via the internal modem port, or are not connected to the Internet
            In Control Panel -> TCP/IP, set "Connect via" to "PPP."

*   Do not use software that accesses the Internet (e.g., a web browser) while you are using sequencing software or audio editing software.

If an IEEE 1394 device other than the FA-101 is connected, try disconnecting it.

Use the function extension manager to disable the following two function extensions.

QuickTime FireWire DV Enabler
        QuickTime FireWire DV Support
        *   You'll need to enable these two files when you want to use a DV camera or similar device. (You can't use the FA-101 simultaneously with your DV camera.)

MIDI playback and audio playback lose synchronization (audio playback is heard noticeably later)
    If you turn the digital input switch on/off while your sequencer or other software is running, or if synchronization with a connected digital device is lost, you may experience problems, such as loss of synchronization between the MIDI and audio playback location. If this occurs, exit the software, then start it up again.
    If you want to use the FA-101's digital input, connect your digital audio device to the FA-101's digital input connector, turn the digital input switch on, and make sure that the SYNC indicator is lit green before you start up your sequencer or other software.

Playback or recording is interrupted, and then you cannot resume playback or recording
    If your Mac was experiencing a heavy processing load, such as when accessing a CD-ROM Drive or network, at the same time as the FA-101 was being used, the FA-101 may no longer operate correctly. If this occurs, stop the playback or recording, then try starting playback or recording over again.
    If you are still unable to play back or record, quit all programs that are using the FA-101, then turn the FA-101 off and then on again.

Computer does not resume from Sleep mode
    In Control Panels -> Energy Saver, set Sleep Setup to "Never."

Cautions for specific applications

Mac OS becomes unstable when you exit Digital Performer
    Delete the "IAC Driver" as described in "OMS settings."

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
I am re-thinking the approach to the Mini as a Production DAW. 

Since many have reported excellent results with USB stuff (like the transit, Tascam US-122, UA-1EX, Behringer U-Control UCA202, etc); I am thinking the mini can serve as an excellent re-mix or stem creator for those with a ton of old OS9 projects, but they don't need a daily OS9 production DAW.  I will focus on this route.

So... the mini will have (1) USB for Apple Keyboard & Mouse plugged into keyboard, (1) USB for Audio interface, and the FW will be for storage and transferring projects to newer DAWs.  This is what I kinda did with the M-Audio transit a few years ago, and it had the bonus of also porting the Sound panel system sound to the transit and supporting ASIO. I am thinking we should start a brand new topic of ALL interfaces both USB and FW, audio & MIDI, that have been successful with the Mini.

Offline markmedia

• Newcomer
  • G4 MacOS 9 and 10.4 Retro-Software
Re: Diehard rambles on and also re-visits the Mac mini G4 and FW410 in 2023…
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2023, 11:50:17 PM »
First Post, Just found your community here and adding to the tested hardware for the Mac Mini G4:

Items I've purchased and tested:
Roland Firewire FA-101
 -

* What is working:
- Audio recording from Cubase VST/32, Live 4
- All inputs were recognized and able to record from Live & Cubase
- Midi input + output worked in both Live & Cubase

* Midi Cable Used:
-
- NUOSIYA MIDI to USB Interface Cable 4.5FT
- Other brands are defaulting to USB-2, and this was the brand & cable that worked

* IOS USB Cable used for connecting the Midi Cable to USB on the iPad
- The midi cable purchased was recognized by the iPad with a standard usb to lightning cable.
-
- SUNTRSI USB Portable Camera Adapter

* Midi Device Used For Testing:
- I have an older iPad Air running iOS 12.5.7, with TouchOSC version 1.9.12.19
- Was able to send and receive midi data and touch control tracks, effects, etc.
- Also used Cubasis LE 2 on the iPad to test sending and receiving data.

* Sound / Video Cable:
-
- FOINNEX VGA to HDMI Adapter Converter with Audio
- This converter with an older DVI to VGA cable I had from my retired powerbook worked for getting both video and sound.
- It didn't create the native sound experience, but I could route the sound a mixer and control the volume.
- No issues with 60FPS refresh rate. Tested with Quake & Unreal Tournament to see if the converter worked, it does.
- Side note, it does get a little hot, so I had a 120mm fan near it blow fresh air on the mini vents and ports.

* USB Audio, Native Sound Cable
-
- USB Headset Adapter,ANDAPA USB Audio Adapter Stereo External Sound Card with 3.5mm Headphone and Microphone
- This cable works with USB-1 and shows up as USB audio on OS9.
- Was helpful as an alternative to buying older M-Audio gear to just get basic audio controls.

* Other Devices
- Had used a older OWC Firewire 400 Sata device to do all the file transfers and getting data out of the mini
- Had trouble finding any native game controller support for OS9
- Was able to get PlayStation PSX1 games and native PS1+USB adaptor to work with Connectix Virtual Game Station
- Swapped out my Powerbook 15" DVD-RW and plugged it into the Mac-Mini, no issues to read DVD-RW for transfers
- Razer Tartarus V2 Gaming Keypad
- Razer Naga Trinity Gaming Mouse: 16,000 DPI
- Both Razer gaming devices worked really well and was a noticeable upgrade to Quake & Unreal Tournament

* USB Gaming Controllers:
Didn't Work: MacAlley iShock Gaming Controller
-
- This requires some specific version of drivers, that I wasn't able to find on archive.org
- I got v2 of the driver to load and install, but still struggled with getting it to work.
- What did work was...
-
-
- The brand is Rii X8 Mini Wireless Controller Touchpad and Rii RK707 3 in 1 Wireless Portable Game Controller

- The USB Keys with the Rii devices were recognized as USB-1 and worked. The "gaming" wireless device showed up as a native gaming controller in TombRaider, Quake, and Unreal Tournament.
- The Rii gaming device wasn't "rumble shock" but it did show up with Playstation games inside of Connectix.

* Networking
- Setup a VM with Parallels to run a 10.5 Leopard Server and have it be the master Timbuktu File Server
- This let me have access to shared folders from Leopard, to a Samba SMB Server.
- Transfer speeds max out at 10MB, per sec - but for stuff that isn't too large, it was fine. Otherwise it's the Firewire Drive.

Overall, it's a cool experience and the quietest (fast) G4 for retro gaming and music making.
Was pretty happy once the iPad with the TouchOSC worked with the right cable inside of Live.

Makes working on some remixes a different experience using touch and older software.
The next step is to learn more about Apple Restore and making an image of all the Gaming Setup so that others can just have a "one and done" setup for retro gaming.

The Connectix Virtual Game Station was picky and needed certain installs from a set of files I found on archive.org - but it works now.

Was able to play Metal Gear Solid with no issues on the G4.
It's nice to be able to use a machine, mostly offline, and have a snappy gaming experience.

Thanks again to all those that have contributed the community here, looking forward to sharing more!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2023, 08:26:52 AM »
Thank you for this excellent post !

So I am guessing, and just guessing, you have acquired the original Roland CD, if so, can you please image it and upload it and post a link ?

The only software I found was the Roland ASIO Driver on their website, which does not install a fully working system :(

Please correct me if you simply installed the posted web driver:
https://www.roland.com/us/products/fa-101/downloads/

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2023, 01:54:27 PM »
* Midi Cable Used:
-
- NUOSIYA MIDI to USB Interface Cable 4.5FT
- Other brands are defaulting to USB-2, and this was the brand & cable that worked

Where you get OMS driver for that? Or did it work with usb mididriver of Freemidi only?

* Sound / Video Cable:
-
- FOINNEX VGA to HDMI Adapter Converter with Audio
- This converter with an older DVI to VGA cable I had from my retired powerbook worked for getting both video and sound.
- It didn't create the native sound experience, but I could route the sound a mixer and control the volume.
- No issues with 60FPS refresh rate. Tested with Quake & Unreal Tournament to see if the converter worked, it does.
- Side note, it does get a little hot, so I had a 120mm fan near it blow fresh air on the mini vents and ports.

I think there is DVI to HDMI with audio converter available, so no useless VGA analog conversion needed.

Offline markmedia

• Newcomer
  • G4 MacOS 9 and 10.4 Retro-Software
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2023, 02:49:04 AM »
@DieHard

The only software I found was the Roland ASIO Driver on their website, which does not install a fully working system :(

Please correct me if you simply installed the posted web driver:
https://www.roland.com/us/products/fa-101/downloads/

Correct, I used the Roland official drivers for OS9.
I did look at Archive.org and compare the drivers from the Edirol site.

Edirol Archive Drivers From Feb/2004
Edirol Archive Driver From May/2005

The URL was an empty link, but it was: http://download.edirol.com/drivers/mac/FA-101_Mac_OS_9_Driver_E.sit
And after looking at Archive.org more, it didn't seem like Edirol ever made anything beyond a v.1.0 for the OS9 driver, but did update to 1.06 for Windows XP.

I'm thinking of setting up another older box to try up the drivers to see if there is a firmware change or any other options.

When using the FA-101 I did change a few of the hardware settings to get it working consistently:

-

- Direct Monitor, Soft CTRL was pushed in and selected.
- The Sample Rate at 192, which was recognized by LIVE as 96k and I believe Cubase did as well.
- Mix was set to 100 percent output and Mono Monitor is off.

The audio is routed out from the headphones to a USB mixer for my Mac M1.
With the inputs, all of them work - but the inputs on the front 1/2 come out hotter and punchy with either Line-In or XLR inputs.
The Levels monitor worked, no issues.

Ableton Live respected the inputs and I was able to connect the firewire post startup, just to see if the FA-101 needed to be connected at boot.

Cubase worked, but was picky about having the inputs disabled when I was doing anything with the audio, after recording.
No issues with Cubase recognizing all the inputs with stereo or mono pairs.

I don't know Cubase very well, but will take some time to learn more about how it works with audio.
Next on the list is to install Traktor DJ and see how the iPad with the midi control on TouchOSC work.

Ableton Live worked well when having multiple audio inputs streaming into the FA-101 and using Live VST Effects on the real-time audio.

@teroyk

Where you get OMS driver for that? Or did it work with usb mididriver of Freemidi only?

No driver, just did the basic install from Cubase and Live and followed the instructions from the forum here.
What I believe is the cable is recognized as USB-1 by other devices.
I noticed that on the iPad with Cubase and how it saw the midi output option.

No lag, no jitter, worked great inside of Ableton Live and will be testing it out with Traktor DJ.