Author Topic: TDM Plugin Packages  (Read 22573 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
TDM Plugin Packages
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:35:27 AM »
I don't know the history of this too well but apparently Emagic released a few different plugins and plugin packages for TDM compatibility. One was called EPIC, and another one called Host Enabler or something, and probably something else. Emagic seems to have dropped most TDM stuff unexpectedly once OSX hit and they went to Apple.

Apparently you could run Space Designer and ESX24 on TDM hardware, but inside of Logic. Another way you could do it was to actually run those plugins inside of Pro Tools. That's why I think there were multiple plugin versions and plugin packages.

Anyone have more info on this? I mainly just want to get Space Designer and EXS24 running on the DSP chips inside of Logic, but it wouldn't hurt to have those two running on the DSP chips in PT either.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:28:59 AM by Syntho »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: TDM Plugin Packages
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:10:05 AM »
To my knowledge there is no TDM plugs from eMagic.
 There are "wrappers" for using then "inside logic" and connecting them with direct connect to protools.
 When you load Logic you choose to run it "rewire mode" but with other name, maybe direct tdm or tdm bridge. Or no audiohardware. I did it with Digi 001 and Logic 5-6
 That's the way with LE systems at least to get space designer, exs24, evp73 and es1.
My demo from epic run out. Don't know.
Logic support TDM hardware to run, but uses no dsp to plugs. Maybe I am wrong
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:42:30 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Enabler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
Emagic Epic TDM plugin suite runs on ProTools TDM hardware
You will need an White Apple XSKey to run these.......

TDM hardware support is included up until Logic Pro 9.1.5 Intel/PPC
Unfortunately the TDM plugins were dropped during the switch to Intel processors :-[
The Epic TDM plugins can be used up to Logic Pro 7.2.3 on a PPC Mac only
You need the OSX installers for that. I did not upload them as this is a OS9 forum
but if anyone needs them let me know.

You get 15 of the Logic Plugins:

01) Autofilter
02) BitCrusher
03) Clip Distortion
04) Distortion
05) Ensemble
06) Ensemble 5 Voice
07) Enveloper
08) Modulation Delay
09) Overdrive
10) Phase Distortion
11) Phaser
12) Spectral gate
13) Sub Bass
14) Tape Delay
15) Tremolo

Attached is a Picture showing Ensemble using the DSP chip in ProTools.
Also works with Logic as the Host too. Also attached are the installer files verion 1.0 & 1.1 update
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:47:47 AM by Enabler »

Offline Enabler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »
Emagic Host TDM Enabler runs the virtual Intruments on your Mac's CPU but sends the Audio stream to TDM mixer via DirectConnect where it can be mixed & processed with the rest of your ProTools Session.
You will need an White Apple XSKey to run these.......

Unfortunately the Host TDM Enable were dropped during the switch to Intel processors
The Host TDM Enabler can be used up to ProTools 7.4.2 on a PPC Mac only
You need the OSX installers for that. I did not upload them as this is a OS9 forum
but if anyone needs them let me know.

You get 5 of the Logic Virtual Intruments:

1) ES-1
2) ES-2
3) EVP-88
4) EVD-6
5) EVB-3

Attached is a Picture showing ES-2 using DirectConnect on the DSP chip in ProTools.
This is for ProTools 5.1.3. Also attached are the installer files verion 1.0 & 1.1 update

Note 1:
You will need the latest version of DirectConnect installed 5.1.1cs10
Attached as well. You will need to manually move the updated files to your system folder & DAE plugins folder
Be sure to remove the older versions as the name of the files are different.

Note: 2:
Space Designer may have been added to the TDM Enabler as an update when Logic Pro 7 came out
It's for OSX only...... sorry folks. I cannot confirm as I don't have an OSX setup to test this.

Note 3:
This is for ProTools 5.1.3 Users on OS9 and does nothing for Logic
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:48:00 AM by Enabler »

Offline Enabler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
And last but not least Emagic System Bridge (ESB)
You will need an White Apple XSKey to run Logic this way

This is built into Logic an all the files needed are included in the installers for Logic Pro/Platinum
It's important to install your ProTools system first and have it functioning so that the Emagic installers
see the additional hardware to install all the support files.

The Emagic System bridge will allow you to Bus the whole Native side of Logic into TDM side.
Meaning both are running side by side as one big mix going thru your ProTools TDM hardware.
So you get the best of both world and this is way to get the most horsepower out of a DAW.

You can process tracks or instruments Natively using all Logic plugins or VST/Audio Units
sending up to 8 channels to TDM Aux busses. At the TDM aux busses you can load any TDM plugin for additional processing. In short it's an 8 channel sub mixer to TDM hardware.

In addition:
12 Stereo instances of EXS-24 Samplers can be routed to Aux TDM channels for further processing  8)
The ESX-24 processing is still calculated on your Mac's CPU NOT the TDM chips.

Attached is a Picture of a my mixer in Logic where I loaded an VST Instrument (B4) and I'm sending it to a TDM Plugin (TC Megaverb). If you look at the TDM system usage you can see that ESB is just sending it's ouput via DirectConnect . The other screenshot is the settings for ESB in the driver section of Logic.

Note 1:
You cannot process TDM tracks with Native plugins and ESB is inside of Logic and does work for ProTools, Cubase or Digital Performer

Note 2:
Logic supports ESB on ProTools Mix & HD hardware up until version Logic pro 9.1.5 Intel/PPC

Note 3:
To use Audio Units you must be using a OSX version of Logic

Note 4:
On an Intel Mac (Mac Pro) ESB will only work with a PCI Expansion chassis using OSX 10.4.11 or lower
so that means if you have an expanded Protools rig inside of a chassis connected to an Intel Mac Pro you must use Logic 7.2.3 on Tiger 10.4.11 If you do not use an PCI Expansion chassis then ESB works fine.

PPC Macs (G4 or G5) seem to be unaffected so you could run Logic 9.1.5 on Leopard 10.5.8 with a 7 card TDM system inside of a PCI expansion chassis and ESB works fine.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:22:30 PM by Enabler »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
Thanks Enabler -afro-

So basically, no EXS24 or Space Designer in Pro Tools, unless it's inside of Logic and is bussed over to Pro Tools with the Logic TDM mixer. I remember loading the EXS24 TDM plugin inside Pro Tools but it was just a direct connect window.

I assume that when using a TDM mixer in Logic, the same TDM tracks also show up in PT right? That way I could use EXS24 and SD in Logic and have those two things also showing up in PT (at least the tracks themselves).

My rig isn't fully running yet so I'm working out the perfect setup. If the above sentence is true, the method I'll take is use Logic for all midi, then have PT handle all I/O of my interface. The only exception would be to use EXS24 and SD in Logic, and if they show up in PT via Direct Connect, there will be no problem getting EXS24's audio inside PT and to also have a Send created in PT so it can get some SD from Logic.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 03:17:31 AM »
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=147971 - if you read all three pages carefully, people are saying some rather interesting things:

i also remember buying EXS24 to work in pro tools (it did for a little while) but then they stopped that .... money wasted ....

EXS used to work directly in PT ... i paid several hundred dollars for this as have many others.

we are not talking about running Logic with PT hardware and using EXS but running PT and using these instruments ...

EXS used to work in in PT in OS9 I believe - but never in OSX.

They are also saying SD is working (instruments folder) but I take it all of them have OSX machines. Is it possible that we're missing a special version of EXS24? It's probably an HTDM version of it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:25:35 AM by Syntho »

Offline Enabler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »
I did mention Space Design on OSX but I can't confirm this at the moment.

I read that thread but only one person mentioned EXS-24 in ProTools and he is mistaken.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:01:24 AM by Enabler »

Offline firpy1

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 05:33:50 PM »
Hi Enabler, Do you still have your system that can run EPIC and HTDM? I upgraded mine and have been figuring out ways to get the settings out of the logic file and into pst form so I con open in native. But I have encountered older files that I can't figure out and may not be able to without seeing the gui. If you still have such a rig, do you have an autofilter tfx and pst I could look at? I have some 1999 pst that don't seem to help with my hexing about. Maybe the TDM and pst data at that point did not coincide like they seem to in later years.

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
Hi!

First of all thank you so much to Enabler for uploading these. Recently, I got hold of a white XSkey and finally figured out how the hell ESB works so have an Autoload with my DAE tracks, auxes and outputs as well as the DTDM section for the native side, including virtual instruments as well as tracks and auxes there too.

It all works really well and can upload my Autoload if anyone wants it? I know Knezzen had some difficulty replicating this setup - as did I too, since the documentation is a right headache!

I will now take EPIC home and see how that fairs as well on the 6 Mix card MDD setup. :)

Thanks thanks thanks again!!!

@ firpy1: I will try out the plugin settings in TDM 5.1.3 and let you know how I get on and see if I can help you there too.

This place is great.

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:32 AM »
To report back on this, yes, EPIC works great and so does the HTDM stuff even though having ESB makes the latter slightly redundant.

I love having the Emagic Tape Delay on the DAE tracks, very neat!

Offline Trace-Elliot

• Enthusiast Member
  • brand new member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
unfortunely i have a blue XSKey .....  is there a chance to buy a white one ??

Emagic is now Apple - no longer exists
tons of Digidesign Hardware and historic apple maschines .... based in germany ...

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 08:13:24 PM »
so absolutely no chance to use logic tsm plugins on say pro tools 2019 intel?

"Note 4:
On an Intel Mac (Mac Pro) ESB will only work with a PCI Expansion chassis using OSX 10.4.11 or lower
so that means if you have an expanded Protools rig inside of a chassis connected to an Intel Mac Pro you must use Logic 7.2.3 on Tiger 10.4.11 If you do not use an PCI Expansion chassis then ESB works fine."

say if i used an expansion chassis, could i use logic tdm plugins in a 2019 intel pro tools daw?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 12:53:24 AM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 06:21:12 AM »
logic supports TDM plug-ins in MacOS9 and that´s it.

you really need to get these things along the line "what is the difference between OS9, OSX, and windows straight. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 07:25:09 PM »
if the 15 logic plugins are processed on a tdm chip i dont see why the question if they can be altered to run on an osx host is so out of the question?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 11:31:27 PM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2022, 12:35:06 PM »
if something is made for PPC it wont run on intel.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 12:35:21 PM »
---

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 01:24:48 PM »
what if the logic side runs on a g4/5 pc and the osx intel pro tools side rubs on a differrnt rig. does it have to be on the same computer to work?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 11:51:09 AM »
have you ever used any computer program?