Author Topic: OS9 Startup Sounds  (Read 1587 times)

Offline keithiepoo

• Enthusiast Member
OS9 Startup Sounds
« on: March 05, 2023, 04:49:28 AM »
Hey folks,

I got a Rev A iMac and I want to add a startup sound. I put a few file types in there (I forget which at the moment), but none of them automatically play when the machine starts up.

What type of sound file does the system need to Automatically play it upon startup?

Thank you  :)
“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
Re: OS9 Startup Sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 07:32:03 AM »
For the startup sound as in "sound that will play as the desktop appears", it just need to be a self-playing format (I will have to check on my Ti for the exact codec) that is placed in the System Folder with the exact name "StartupSound".

OTOH, if by startup sound you mean "the chime when you press the power button", it is a more complex and risky endeavor. However, it has been documented if you are not afraid of bricking your iMac: https://www.downtowndougbrown.com/2012/07/power-macintosh-g3-blue-and-white-custom-startup-sound/
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline keithiepoo

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 07:51:02 PM »
Thank you. Do let me know if you can determine the type of sound file for the "startup sound". (Yes, when the desktop appears.)

Thank you! I've looked this up and I keep being sent to all sorts of irrelevant things.
“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 10:35:35 PM »
8 bit PCM mono ... i think they are called "system seven sound".

/applications/simplesound

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline keithiepoo

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 08:46:25 PM »
I'll look into that. Thanks. I do recall this application.