Author Topic: RME HDSP Multiface / Totalmix issues  (Read 2842 times)

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
RME HDSP Multiface / Totalmix issues
« on: February 26, 2023, 02:36:37 PM »
Just tried installing HDSP card and multiface interface on my G4 (digital audio). Driver install (from here https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/downloads_driver_archive.php) went OK following instructions in the readme although the machine did crash on boot up a couple of times.

Cubase seems to recognise the card and I can bring up the (asio) control panel from there. The control panel indicates that the HDSP card is communicating with the Multiface (it's aware when you unplug it and regains a connection when plugged back in). I haven't managed to get any audio out of the Multiface yet - but neither have I been able to get Totalmix to launch - so I'm not able to check output level settings.

According to the RME updater the HDSP card is up to date.

Double clicking totalmix results in nothing, basically, although the icon flickers and the application name shows briefly (and then disappears) at the top of the screen. I've tried allocating more memory using get info (clutching at straws) it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
Re: RME HDSP Multiface / Totalmix issues
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 03:20:21 PM »
I use a HDSP card and Multiface with my Sawtooth.

TotalMix not launching seems to happen for me when the card isn't properly recognized. Sometimes it's just the cable, other times (esp. if I've moved the computer or pulled at the cable) reseating it helps.

You can also try powering the Multiface externally.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 03:02:47 AM »
The best converter for os9 hands down

Is a lynx aes16 with a lynx aurora 16-vt

Nothing will ever beat it in terms of stability, fidelity and ease of use

I just got a hammerfall new in box

I will make measurements eventually with the two as the entire converter game will be fought between those two

Apogee and digidesign following at a distance
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 11:11:40 AM »
I use a HDSP card and Multiface with my Sawtooth.

TotalMix not launching seems to happen for me when the card isn't properly recognized. Sometimes it's just the cable, other times (esp. if I've moved the computer or pulled at the cable) reseating it helps.

You can also try powering the Multiface externally.

Thank you.

I have found and tried a suitable power supply but I can't find a spare firewire cable. Might pick one up to see if I can rule it out. I might also try installing it on my PC. Or I could try another PCI slot in the G4, I suppose.

So far no change, I still can't get TotalMix to launch. HDSP card seems to be recognised as does Multiface. Asio control panel (launched via Cubase) states I/O box locked when connected and I/O box error when cable removed. The "host" light on the Multiface illuminates when power is connected, but switches off while the machine loads extensions. When I shut the computer down it blinks. Cubase seems happy to send audio to multiple outputs but I can't hear anything...

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 01:13:18 PM »
-deleted-
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 12:01:38 PM »
I thought I'd try installing it on my B&W G3. This has just had a clean OS 9.2.2 install. It worked! Well, I say that, I didn't have any ASIO software installed so I couldn't test it with audio but Totalmix launched no bother and registered a small amount of self-noise at the inputs.

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 12:06:17 PM »
I realised while installing on the G3 that when I'd previously installed on the G4 I'd put the preset and default setting files directly in to the System Preferences folder, and they are supposed to go in their own subfolder.

I thought I'd solved it, I moved the files, rebooted, and then this happened.

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 01:53:16 PM »
OK, booted up with an OS9 CD in the optical drive and the RME is now working well. Only small niggle is that clicking on Totalmix causes Cubase to stop playing. I wonder if there's any way around this?

Now to fix the boot-up problem!

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 03:36:30 PM »
hdsp9632 / 52 ? i thought those require 10.2.8+

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 07:37:08 AM »
OK, booted up with an OS9 CD in the optical drive and the RME is now working well. Only small niggle is that clicking on Totalmix causes Cubase to stop playing. I wonder if there's any way around this?

What version of Cubase?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 07:49:45 AM »
hdsp9632 / 52 ? i thought those require 10.2.8+

RME HDSP series had even Mac OS 8.6 support example hdsp9632/Multiface/Digiface, but strange thing was that later Digiface boxes had driver CD-ROM without Mac OS 8.6-9.2 drivers. And one thing to remember Multiface and Digiface boxes interface looks like firewire, but it is not! And interface cards and cables RME propriety.

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 09:15:30 AM »

What version of Cubase?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 09:48:49 AM »
What version of Cubase?

Try Cubasis OEM or 2.0. It is lightweight Cubase for test if problem is that B&W G3 is too slow for RME and Cubase 5.1 combo...I even didn't know that Cubase 5.1 can run in B&W G3 Mac...official system requirements are more.

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 11:23:09 AM »
What version of Cubase?

Try Cubasis OEM or 2.0. It is lightweight Cubase for test if problem is that B&W G3 is too slow for RME and Cubase 5.1 combo...I even didn't know that Cubase 5.1 can run in B&W G3 Mac...official system requirements are more.

Thanks, I'm now using the G4 DA and it seems to be running comfortably on this machine - just trying to troubleshoot why playback stops when opening Totalmix. Maybe because I assigned extra RAM to Totalmix while I was struggling to get it to launch!

I think it would run OK on the G3 to tell the truth, I could be wrong but it doesn't seem light years behind.

Offline G40

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 01:13:42 PM »
Ah, I just didn't have "play in background". selected.

::)

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 05:31:24 PM »
What version of Cubase?

Whats cubasis oem?

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 05:32:45 PM »
There is always cubase v4.0, 4.0r2, 4.0.2 or 4.1 for a G3.

Similar to digidesign pushing out and selling of d24 cards as project ii, the project hammerfall is a rebranded earlier digi series sold off as "project" hammerfall card. DIGI Series EPROM (swappable M..acintosh, W...indows) allowed for 0 strain on the system, Hammerfall DSPs also did this but added support for their totalmix routing software.

they did update hdsp os9 drivers up into 2003.

ASIO 2.0 Support

The DIGI9636/52 includes ASIO Direct Monitoring as part of the ASIO 2.0 standard. Please note that neither routing nor pan are supported. Therefore at activated ADM and active monitoring the input signal will only be routed to the same output channel. Other settings in VST's mixer have no effect.

Special Hardware Version

Thanks to its 'ASIO in hardware' design the Hammerfall series offers the highest possible performance. To maintain this also on the Mac we designed a special hardware version which sorts the data bits in the way the Mac needs it. Normally the Mac's processor performs the conversion between little and big endian format. But this would obviously require additional CPU actions, eliminating the desired 0% CPU load operation. The Mac version can be identified by the label 'M52' (Mac 9652) or 'M36' (Mac 9636) on the card's EPROM.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english/mac/m9652inf.htm

The Hammerfall series is compatible to all major ASIO applications, like Cubase VST, emagic Logic, Opcode Studio Vision PRO, Prosoniq Sonic WORX, TC SPARK, Peak from Bias, Motu Digital Performer, Max/MSP from Cycling '74 and Super Collider.

An activation of OMS on the Titanium Powerbooks G4 550 MHz and 667 MHZ (256K level 2 cache, 1152 x 768 screen) will cause crackling in the played back audio. According to our tests, the highest number of interrupts that can occur when receiving MIDI from the HDSP, will sometimes cause the Powerbook's DMA controller to fail - causing dropouts while transferring data to the HDSP. Owners of these notebooks who need MIDI I/O functionality should consider to buy a third party MIDI interface, or to change to the compatible 400/500 MHz models.

"TDIF Expansion Board - TDIF Expansion Board for the Hammerfall Series, HDSP 9652 and DIGI96 Series"

my Digi96 is rev 1.5, thus the internal connectors ADAT1Out, ADAT2Out and ST7 are incomporated for addon boards, earlier revisions 1998-1999 did not have those as they were originally designed for pure ASIO operation (-> OEM steinberg versions: ST 24/96, Nuendo 96/52, Nuendo 96/52 DSP, Nuendo Audiolink 96, Nuendo Audiolink 96 Digiset, ...).

Q: Project Hammerfall: on the box it says 24 channels, here it says 52 channels - https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english/hammer/d9652.htm
     Hammerfall HDSP: box says 52 channels
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 09:50:04 PM by smilesdavis »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 02:06:17 AM »
Whats cubasis oem?

Cubasis OEM, come with some audio interfaces it missing VST instruments and you have to use external audio-editor (it support example Spark), you can think it as lightweigth CubaseVST 5.0.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 02:46:07 AM »
Oh ok bundled only

Like the legendary cubasis, cubasis av

That being said i just scored...

And i couldnt be happier