Author Topic: Re: OS9's startup sounds' file format  (Read 1628 times)

Offline keithiepoo

• Enthusiast Member
Re: OS9's startup sounds' file format
« on: February 18, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »
Hi folks,

I tried to get my Rev A iMac to boot up with some startup sounds, but all it does is launch QT movieplayer, and it doesn't play the sounds anyway.

What is the specific format that OS9 would use to generate a startup sound?

“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 08:10:18 AM »
to my knowledge it is not a resource or file, so you can not replace it with something else.

on some hardware you can at least block it if you think it is annoying.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 04:25:13 PM »
If you're taking about the sound files that are the same type as system alerts, I think their extension/file type is .snd (which I'm pretty sure is just a .wav file with a Mac OS extension). You can create/convert these with an application called SoundEdit. These files play within the Finder (no application needed like Quicktime) so they can easily be used with a startup AppleScript, or maybe even just by putting it in the startup items folder?
You can't change the actual boot chime on Mac but you can get these alert sounds to play automatically when the finder loads. Some people in the past built extensions that would play them as the system loads.