Author Topic: Plug-in of the Month  (Read 10660 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Plug-in of the Month
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2023, 09:03:14 AM »
05/2023

SampleFlange

another classic from 2001.

use on percussive material. otherwise it will produce clicks, which is intended.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2023, 02:44:35 PM »
Interesting choice of GUI design...
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2023, 10:10:50 PM »
haha, yeah, when you start out you try to make a little artwork out of each small thing.
later you prefer generic, recognizable and reusable schemes and obeye the basic rules of UX and graphic design.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2023, 05:09:12 AM »
Well, that's not what I ment ..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 10:48:01 AM by ssp3 »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2023, 05:29:09 AM »
i think it looks like a jacket.

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2023, 07:02:14 AM »
I'm now a Fan of the author of these plugins..always interesting and particular.. congratulations! only question: the loading times of the plugins are very long..to tell the truth all the Pluggo style plugins and I don't understand if it depends on my computer or it's like this for everyone, but it's strange..maybe I have to configure extensions or preferences ? let me know, thanks.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2023, 07:18:55 AM »
unless i made an error or a software is really complex, this should only happen for the first plug-in you load, as this it loads the whole runtime (similar situation with the initialisation process of a powercore or UAD card)

if you find this is not true, let me know.

i had serious issues with audio apps here, hence the delay. just figured that it must be faulty RAM. in the last years the problems with my G4 raised in number. ;/

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »
you are right: the majority of third party plug-ins including my own are very slow compared to the cycling ones (on manual load, not on recalling a cubase/nuendo session)

the only ones which do not do this are the percolate.

i guess i should know what is going on, but i cant really remember if and how it can be releated to the building process.

and as it seems PNGs end up both as resource AND in the data fork, this is suspicious, too.

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2023, 10:41:09 AM »
my observation is only constructive..don't forget..congratulations for your plugins..I was wondering if you were looking for a faster way to load plugins..I don't know..moving files or folders..I took the times of the Uad and powercore, Uad is instantaneous, Powercore 20 seconds.. the SampleFlanger 2 minutes and 10 seconds... then loads the others pretty fast. Let me know if you find a method to shorten the access times. Thank's for your job.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2023, 10:47:43 AM »
and as it seems PNGs end up both as resource AND in the data fork, this is suspicious, too.

I was wondering what that SIT! resource with compressed jpg's inside is doing there

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2023, 11:04:18 AM »
those are nonsense caused by me :) you can delete them. but they are not causing the 3 seconds load time.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2023, 11:05:40 AM »
the SampleFlanger 2 minutes and 10 seconds...

ok THAT is not normal. :P 2-4 seconds would be normal.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2023, 11:46:25 AM »
found it. my old builds mostly dont do it.

one of the things i do different from 2003 is that i am using background color in custom subpatches/classes.

but this is done by a special max object which in OS9 - unlike later - requires a commercial jitter license.

there are 3000 custom patches in my library and it is out of question to change the background color for repatching old pluggos. :P

but moving the unregistered object into the pluggo runtime already causes a different error message - and now the plug-in loads instantly. i will try using an emtpy patch instead and then we are hopefully done.

thanks for the notice, redstudio, you saved all of us quite some extra work and waiting time.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2023, 12:02:34 PM »
this is required for some of the plug-ins
download and install as shown

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2023, 06:06:43 AM »
06/2023

NiftyShifter

a through-zero, fullrange frequency shifter effect

stereo only - sorry. and built for 44.1kHz. (it will operate at higher rates, but filter out >20khz)

the range settings only affect the range of the GUI for better control in not-so-experimental use cases.

the "ultra high quality" mode doubles the steepness of the antialiasing filters to 96 db/oct and is normally only required for the higher range setting (10,000Hz), but you might want to check if it makes a difference depending on your input material.

nifty comes with a little testtone generator, which can teach you a bit on the topic of bandlimiting:
if you send a 20khz tone into a frequencyshifter which shifts for 20 kHz - while your samplingrate is 44.1kHz - the 20 Hz tone will be mirrored at 22kHz and hence end up at -4kHz. this is called aliasing, and we dont want to hear that shit.
on the lower end the problem is even worse.

the only option to get rid of that in an effects circuit (audio in, process, audio out) is to have filters before the effect, whose frequency follows the setting of the pitch shifter or frequency shifter in opposite direction.

Nifty is the base model of a series of shifters i made. to my knowlegde is was the first (and only?) FS for OS9.

in 2006 the algorithm had been upgraded to a better quality, which finally allowed these extreme settings of +- 20kHz.

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2023, 04:50:24 AM »
wow NiftyShifter has become one of my favorite plugins..fun! to try on masters and separate tracks..surprising ..also to look for new harmonies.. excellent work " IIO" !

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2023, 06:08:46 AM »
loadtime is zero for you now?

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2023, 07:18:29 AM »
unfortunately the loading is not yet instantaneous. I added the additional file "bgcolor" as described in the photo of the attached file above..times have improved..now about 1 minute and 15 (half of before..).in the "objects" folder in your photo c 'is a folder, which I don't have, named " patches ".. what are they ? additional preset for your plugins? if yes, I would love to have it..(very curious..

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2023, 08:39:31 AM »
hm, i will habe to investigate further.

for me it is instant now.

but the point is, my pluggo runtime also is unmodified, just like yours. there must be something wrong with path calling or something.

which host program? i only test cubase and nuendo.

Offline redstudio

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2023, 12:00:50 PM »
yes, i use cubase 5.2 on mac os9.. (mdd dual 1.5, with 2gb ram, 180gb hd ssd). In the VST folder, however, I created a "Pluggo" folder to keep all its plugins inside..another "Additional Pluggo" folder where I'm putting your plugins..maybe this slows down the system?