Author Topic: Powerbook G3 PDQ - CF, SSD, SD : freeze when writing  (Read 4948 times)

Offline dosdude1

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Powerbook G3 PDQ - CF, SSD, SD : freeze when writing
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 01:03:50 PM »
I just finished performing a G4 CPU upgrade on a PB G3 Lombard processor card for someone, so I figured I'd test my SSD on my Lombard while testing the card (as its original hard disk was dead). It works absolutely perfectly, without a hitch.

Any chance you might run QuickBench and post those results (from OS 9)
and if you also install Panther - posting XBench results too would also be greatly appreciated.

Here's the results from OS 9, I'll get around to messing with OS X on this later. Not the best speeds in the world, on more modern systems, this drive can get up to around 90 MB/s.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Powerbook G3 PDQ - CF, SSD, SD
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2023, 06:19:26 AM »
Thanks for the QuickBench results from the (now) G4-equipped Lombard.

Additional testing here with a stock, G3-equipped Lombard, with a 7200 RPM HDD
provided these results. And it even runs OS 10.4 Tiger (in a Lombard!).

Sure it runs a little hotter, temperature wise…
but for $20.00 or less, this 80 GB 7200 RPM HDD will stay in this Lombard.

I'd certainly try a similar "old" 7200 RPM HDD in the PDQ - as the performance is similar (if not slightly better) than / to the CF route.

*The original 6 GB HD in the above graphic was a 5400 RPM HDD. (The 80 GB 7200 RPM HDD mentioned here was not included in previous testing.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:10:16 AM by FBz »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Powerbook G3 PDQ - CF, SSD, SD : freeze when writing
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2023, 08:29:11 AM »
Are you labeling the SSD bridge "caution" due to the lack of available bridges that work and incompatibility issues with some Lombards ?

Just checking, because it looks the fastest...

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Powerbook G3 PDQ - CF, SSD, SD
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »
Lack of availability (now) as we can no longer source the AS331 v1.5 JMicron / JM20330 IC based IDE / SATA bridge adapters. AND because they were occasionally problematic booting back and forth between OS 9 and OS X in the Lombard. The Compact Flash approach WAS the best overall approach when previously tested back in November of 2021. [Reference http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6065.msg45769.html#msg45769] The AS331 v1.5's were great when dedicating the Lombard to either OS 9 OR OS X - but not both. I really do like the 7200 RPM HDD results!

Have also been testing (again) the MCA004 v1.3 JM20330 IC - based adapters (as they appear so similar to the AS331’s) in both the Mac Mini and the Lombard and they are problematic, even in single OS - boot situations.

All of the above led me to (Hail Mary) test the faster, 7200 RPM HDD… and I was surprised. Perhaps best to stick with the older spinners (yet faster, 7200 RPM) drives in these early PowerBooks?

BUT YES… if you can find one of the AS331’s (or even the MCA004 if you don’t mind weird) in a single OS setup, they are faster-est. ;)

Have also considered the “unbranded IDE to M.2 adapters” (as mentioned by teroyk here above http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6671.msg50299.html#msg50299 ). But based upon his negative report on use in the PDQ - that’s a no-go in the Lombard. But I believe IIO uses them in Mac minis and I’ve asked him to provide QuickBench results to compare to the AS331’s - because I may need an option for future G4 Mac Minis here.

Note: I currently have six G4 Mac Minis (of varying CPU speeds) using the AS331’s. Here are QuickBench results from the slowest, lowly-est, dual-boot 1.25 GHz Mac mini.