Author Topic: ProTools LE7 output routing NOT to digidesign device  (Read 1252 times)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
ProTools LE7 output routing NOT to digidesign device
« on: January 18, 2023, 09:48:01 AM »
hellooo
I'm trying to route the monitoring output of ProTools LE 7.4 to some device OTHER than the Digidesign interface (MBOX 1) that's in the system, mainly to enable ProTools...
I have this Tascam FW1884 that I use as control surface with Reaper and it also works with ProTools. This machine has audio interface functions and that's what I use with Reaper to monitor my audio. I would like to keep that setup for convenience, and also because there's a nasty whine coming out of the MBOX rendering useless for monitoring. The FW1884 is connected thru firewire, the MBOX is connected via USB. The whine in the MBOX output happens ONLY when Pro Tools is running...

So, is there a way to assign the stereo audio out of ProTools to the FW1884 instead of the default Digidesign MBOX?
If you know of one, please tell me!
Thanks!

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
Re: ProTools LE7 output routing NOT to digidesign device
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 11:05:30 AM »
Found something!:
I connect the RCA SPDIF output of the MBOX to the SPDIF input of the FW1884.
Then I set the "Mon Mix" of the FW to RCA SPDIF. I have yet to find a way to couple the 2 faders that control the level of SPDIF inputs on FW so I get accurate balance, and to see if I can get any of the FW1884 inputs in Pro Tools.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 11:56:08 AM »
Sony/Philips Digital Interface saving the day since 1989. i have made a habit of also adding hardware spdif processors into the chain when i go from later host to earlier hosts for lossless dsp processing.
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
Outboard SPDIF processor, eh?
Never would have thought of that!

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 02:28:57 PM »
Outboard SPDIF processor, eh?
Never would have thought of that!

;) eventide etc every 90s processors has em
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts