Author Topic: Installing MacOS 9.22 and then MacOS X on an old iMac G3?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline rallydarkstrike

• Newcomer
Installing MacOS 9.22 and then MacOS X on an old iMac G3?
« on: January 13, 2023, 08:46:03 AM »
Hi all - first-off, I'm a tech guy, but more PC (Windows and primarily Linux) than Mac - don't hold that against me, haha!

When I was in Jr. high ('96-'98 or so) all the computers we had at our school at the time were 'fruit' iMacs, so I'm somewhat fond of them from my childhood. I do computer repair and tech tutoring on the side as well, so I know my way around computers in general quite well, including modern Macs.

BUT...I don't know / remember much from back then about old Macs, so am a bit lost!

I was recently given an PPC iMac G3 in orange that I want to get the latest MacOS version I can get installed on it to run some software. EveryMac's lookup tool (according to my iMac's serial number) says I have one of these:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_333.html

I've read it can handle MacOS 10.3.9 max, but I also seem to recall reading somewhere that I can't install that without some sort of firmware update that I can only get by installing MacOS 9.2.2?

Currently the Mac is running MacOS 8.6 and everything seems to work perfectly. At some point it was upgraded to 160MB of RAM or so (so the original 32mb plus 128mb more).

I've tried downloading your MacOS 9.2.2 'Universal Install' image and burning it to a CD-RW disk at the slowest write speed my burner tool can handle but the iMac doesn't seem to 'see' the disk. I know the tray (it's not a slot-load!) CD-ROM drive works as I was given an ancient copy of Star Wars Tie Fighter (the game) with it and the game runs fine and requires the CD to run.

Part of the Mac not 'seeing' the disk is that I only have a Win10 PC and various Linux PCs to try the burning with. I've tried burning the disk both times so far on my Win10 desktop using AnyBurn first, and then ImgBurn....and I used a plain old Staples CD-RW disk the first time and then a Verbatim CD-RW disk the second time.

I was not given the original keyboard with it (and the original mouse I was given is missing the ball), so am using a USB Acer keyboard and USB Acer mouse, which both work fine in MacOS 8.6 when the machine is booted. I tried holding the 'C' key on the keyboard just after the startup chime (had read somewhere to try that online to boot from CD) and I also tried holding 'Alt' as I believe that's the PC analog for Apple's 'Option' key if memory serves?

Am I missing something here?

So I guess my questions are overall, two-fold:
1. Is there a trick to get the CD image I downloaded from here booting on the iMac that I am missing, or is it an issue with the fact I am burning it on a Windows machine even though I'm using your provided image?
2. Am I right in my research above on the process to get OSX on it? i.e. installing MacOS9 and then some sort of firmware update before I can install OSX?

Thanks for any help and I'm super impressed this community exists! :)

Offline rallydarkstrike

• Newcomer
Re: Installing MacOS 9.22 and then MacOS X on an old iMac G3?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 06:02:38 AM »
Nobody has any suggestions on why I can't get MacOS 9.2.2 to install? :(

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 04:44:36 PM »
Nobody has any suggestions on why I can't get MacOS 9.2.2 to install? :(
I'm probably going to regret getting involved in yet another "newer software on ancient machine" conundrum of which there seem to be an awful lot of lately BUT…

There are many early computers (I think your 1999 Orange may be one) that simply cannot read CD-RW discs. MacTracker shows the earliest iMac with CD-RW capability as the 2001 Indigo. If this is true, the disc won't appear to the iMac at all.

TRY THIS: Boot 8.6 and then insert the burned CD-RW. See if it appears on the desktop.
IF NO: Try burning the 9.2.2 install to a CD-R (as in not re-writable) and see if that will appear.
IF YES: Still in 8.6, open the Startup Disc Control Panel and see if the 9.2.2 System appears as a bootable choice.

* I don't remember if 8.6 has Extensions Manager or other Apple Menu shortcut to Startup Disc, but worst case, you find it in the System Folder. If it's in "disabled extensions" (although it shouldn't be) physically move it into the active extensions folder and reboot.

IF you can get it as a Startup choice, select it and reboot. You should then get the 9.2.2 Install.

ALL OF THAT SAID…… You should be able to install 10.3 without a firmware update. Note that 10.3 will not support any internet browser that more-or-less works - you need 10.4 for that.
So, why do you really want 10.3? If you have a reason, OK… there is early OSX software that works well - just not internet.

If you get to this point, holler back and we'll talk about how to effectively install both systems in a dual-boot setup or a 10.3.9 + Classic.

Offline rallydarkstrike

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 05:41:08 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I was contemplating getting the later OSX install as I know off the top of my head that of more software I would use on that OS compared to 8.6, but maybe leaving it at 8.6 would be a good call...

The computer has the prior owner's data on it though...is there a secure way to wipe 8.6 and reset it within the OS?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 02:21:09 PM »
The computer has the prior owner's data on it though...is there a secure way to wipe 8.6 and reset it within the OS?
No.

You can pick through everything and delete and/or change the old to the new while deleting any software and files you don't want

OR

You can just try installing 9.2.2… you know, the one I spent all that time explaining how to… and that will give you a totally fresh system.