Author Topic: G4 Titanium Question  (Read 4561 times)

Offline msweeney

• Newcomer
G4 Titanium Question
« on: January 11, 2023, 06:01:59 AM »
Background:
I have multiple G4 Titanium Power Books, two of which are 1GHz models.

One of the 1GHz models still has the protective film on the outside, is almost in new condition, and the battery even holds a charge.

The other 1GHz model has cracked hinges, the case is not in great shape, the battery doesn't hold a charge but the computer does function. I also have the original box, paperwork, and inserts for this computer.

My question is this: I am thinking of selling the model with the broken hinges as I only really need/want the model that is in pristine condition. I don't care about resale value or anything, so I am thinking of using the box for the pristine computer which obviously means the identifiers will no longer match. Is this a good idea?

I appreciate any opinions on this.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: G4 Titanium Question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 07:56:17 AM »
no idea if you can repair this at all, but it should be easy to build a custom stand for such a laptop.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline msweeney

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 08:13:55 AM »
no idea if you can repair this at all, but it should be easy to build a custom stand for such a laptop.

I don't think I have the skills to repair/replace the hinges as my research suggests it is a difficult task. Appreciate the suggestion!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 08:16:19 AM »
just recommend it to the potential buyer as use case. if he is a musician, he will know how to build custom stands.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 08:53:03 AM »
I am thinking of using the box for the pristine computer which obviously means the identifiers will no longer match. Is this a good idea?

I don't think that anyone at this point really cares about it except some collectors? If you're one or you plan on selling it to one, don't do it.

If you're like the rest of mankind, be happy you still got an original box for that thing and sell the other TiBook. It'll hopefully find its way to someone who has the capabilities to fix it.
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 09:17:20 AM »
I have multiple G4 Titanium Power Books, two of which are 1GHz models.

One of the 1GHz models still has the protective film on the outside, is almost in new condition, and the battery even holds a charge.
I am thinking of selling the model with the broken hinges as I only really need/want the model that is in pristine condition.

My opinion, is to save the "broken" one for parts, even small parts may be both expensive and hard to find later.  I have been down this road and having a backup supply of parts is a great idea if you plan on using the pristine one for production work.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 12:32:41 AM »
My Ti recently died unexpectedly and it was my most used OS9 machine. Something shorted on the logic board and rendered it pretty much useless. I was lucky enough to find a replacement 1Ghz logic board but they are becoming expensive and really hard to find. I swapped logic boards and it's working fine now. Unless you really want the money having spares of the exact same machine can be really helpful if you want to keep using it long term. The unexpected often happens and it pays to have spares on hand

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 01:28:34 AM »
Im stuck at a 500mhz for my main machine, combined 4 laptops to make one thats perfect.

I'd trade one sonnet express pci for a perfect 1ghz ti in a heartbeat
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline msweeney

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 05:27:23 AM »
Im stuck at a 500mhz for my main machine, combined 4 laptops to make one thats perfect.

I'd trade one sonnet express pci for a perfect 1ghz ti in a heartbeat

I appreciate the offer but the "perfect" ti is the one I am definitely keeping.