Author Topic: Wave Editor by Audiofile Engineering  (Read 2532 times)

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
Wave Editor by Audiofile Engineering
« on: December 28, 2022, 09:10:09 AM »
I'd like to draw member's attention to this, quite often overlooked, 2 track editor for OSX. It is, in a sense, a SoundDesigner II on steroids and, in my opinion, in many ways more powerful editor than popular among common folk Bias Peak. Those familiar with SoundDesigner will feel right at home, and will have their jaws dropped 8) Others will face a steep learning curve. As far as I understand, it was developed as a remixing tool, but evolved into mastering application over time.

There was some nasty conflict among founders/developers (details escape me) and, as a result, company in its original form ceased to exist and Wave Editor was dropped.

Last version released was 1.5.8 (Intel only, irrelevant here).
Last version with PPC code - 1.5.5 (Leopard only)
Last version for Tiger - 1.4.6
(See attached release notes).

It should run on G4, but, since it runs native, it is, most probably, quite resource hungry.

Link to a S.O.S review of v.1.4:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/audiofile-wave-editor-14

Link to "Must see" training videos of v. 1.xx pre-release version:
http://www.razormaid.com/Training/index.htm

Several versions are out there in the wild. I've seen 1.4.1, 1.4.4, 1.4.6, 1.5.0, 1.5.2, 1.5.3, 1.5.4 and 1.5.5

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 09:27:07 AM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Wave Editor by Audiofile Engineering
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
"There was some nasty conflict among founders/developers "
There must have been. I don't know where you have seen it, but it appears, except for old reviews,  to have been totally scrubbed from the internet.
That said…… There ARE a bunch of nasty "Don't mind us while we attempt to install malware on your computer" links for it.

So if you know where to find it "in the wild" - especially 1.5.5 - give us a clue, huh?

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 03:15:35 PM »
... it appears, except for old reviews,  to have been totally scrubbed from the internet.
https://gearspace.com/board/other-daws/1265386-architect-triumph-disappearance-anyone-know-anything.html
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525534
That said…… There ARE a bunch of nasty "Don't mind us while we attempt to install malware on your computer" links for it.
If by "links" you mean direct downloads, I'm not surprised. ;D ;D ;D
So if you know where to find it "in the wild" - especially 1.5.5 - give us a clue, huh?
Here, LMTTFY. :D
tinyurl.com/2p8f4us9

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 03:36:35 PM »
This place has four versions. https://wave-editor.en.uptodown.com/mac
I have fetched version 1.4.5 b11 and 1.5, but none wanna play on my 10.4.11 G4...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:54:46 PM by P.O. »

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 03:45:15 PM »
1. Last version for 10.4 is 1.4.6
2. The 1.4.5b11 download gets you 1.5.5, thats why !!! Just do a cmd-i (get info) ;)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 04:32:51 PM »
I did not expect 1.5 to work, but I had hopes for 1.4.5 b11...
guess I'm back to square zero.

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 04:57:23 PM »
I did not expect 1.5 to work, but I had hopes for 1.4.5 b11...
guess I'm back to square zero.
Try the tinyurl link I posted in response to GaryN. See if that works.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
I did take a look and there seems to be a 1.4.something version, but I don't do torrent and I really don't have a clue how such a site works.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 06:50:00 PM »
This is idiocy.

Chasing torrents (that I never would have found, by the way)…
for an OSX editor with disputed parentage…
that may or probably doesn't have a license key…
that disappeared so completely that…
nobody but ssp3 has ever heard of and…
even he can't provide a decent link to…
that may have been the root code for the Triumph audio editor which…
would explain a lot since that's owned by…
Zynaptiq, who are known for buying/gobbling up software and developers instead of…
writing anything original and who, by the way are…
the guys who bought out Prosoniq (SonicWORX) and who…
likely made a deal with part of the original AudioFile Engineering leaving…
a very pissed Evan Olcott (later Aurchitect Audio Software)…
out in the cold, probably with no more than cab fare

LMTTFY my ass.

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 08:21:03 PM »
Stop whining, GaryN. Won't work on me.  ;)

For those, who are curious or 'software packrats', I already provided a hint. Sooner or later some seed will appear.
For those, who are really, really interested or need help, there's always a PM button.
For all those free riders, who expect everything delivered to them on a silver platter - nope, sorry, not me.

I will never ever post direct links to or attach to posts anything 'not kosher' in a public forum, like MacOS9Lives is, which, by the way, is accessible by anyone on this planet by a simple Google search. (Just think about it!)
This has been my position here from day one.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:31:52 AM by ssp3 »

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 07:09:26 AM »
in a funny twist of events wave editor, which was renamed Trimuph was recently acquired and rereleased by prosoniq/zynaptiq who abandoned their perfectly working and amazing sonicworx.

it appears to be easier to buy code than to take care of your own
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »
I'm really eager to try this wave editor, as I have worked quite a bit with Sound Designer II in the past...

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 08:56:47 AM »
I'm really eager to try this wave editor, as I have worked quite a bit with Sound Designer II in the past...
This is in public domain and will get you version 1.4.6. It should run in trial mode for 15 days. Status will be shown under -> Support -> Licenses
http://web.archive.org/web/20130810155545if_/http://www.audiofile-engineering.us/support/appcasts/we/1/WaveEditor_v3310.dmg

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 11:09:38 AM »
Thanks!
Will try it as soon as I'm done with current work. Wonder if it will bring back memories of Sound Designer (or have I forgotten everything...)
Also very intrigued to see what the options will be when registration runs out!

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 01:48:58 PM »

interesting, do tell. got any original floppies? plugins for sd?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 02:11:03 PM »
Stop whining, GaryN. Won't work on me.  ;)
For those, who are curious or 'software packrats', I already provided a hint. Sooner or later some seed will appear.
For those, who are really, really interested or need help, there's always a PM button.
For all those free riders, who expect everything delivered to them on a silver platter - nope, sorry, not me.

I have not yet begun to "whine" ssp2 and I have not asked for "platter delivery." I followed your breadcrumbs and soon found out that this is essentially a useless piece of abandonware which also requires a license key that neither you nor anyone here has, and that cannot even be acquired anymore. Therefore: useless.
As for why anyone would be "really, really interested" enough to PM you about this, I can only say I, for one, certainly am not. Neither am I "interested enough" to haunt torrents, waiting and hoping that "some seed will appear."

I will never ever post direct links to or attach to posts anything 'not kosher' in a public forum, like MacOS9Lives is, which, by the way, is accessible by anyone on this planet by a simple Google search. (Just think about it!)
This has been my position here from day one.
I suspect most everyone around here "just thought about it!" years ago. OS9Lives! has never been some kind of hotbed of kracked wares and that has also been the Forum's "position from day one."

I'm going to exit this discussion thread debate… nope, it's still idiocy. Finally, I'll remind all that this is about something for OSX that never ran on OS9 to begin with and that makes it even more pointless here on OS9Lives, if that's even possible.

You know, ssp1, you spend too much time hanging around the dusty corners of the internet and you can get paranoid enough to start looking over your shoulder for the "software police"…

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 02:25:22 PM »

interesting, do tell. got any original floppies? plugins for sd?

Not much to tell, everything is probably still in that Quadra 700 in my basement on which I used Sound Designer some 20 years ago.
Did a fair bit of editing and "mastering" for the live recordings I was doing at the time. I did enjoy tuning the crossfades to perfection...
Ran it with a Digidesign 442 interface and a corresponding Digidesign card I could never identify that came from an Avid editing system.
I had a good selection of plugins that came from I don't remember where.
I'd have to dig up all that stuff to remember the details, which I'm not gonna do.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 02:59:41 PM »
did you remove the 1/2 aa battery before stashing it in the cellar?

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »
No. Thanks for mentionning it: I must have some 15 old machines from which I should remove the batteries!...

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 06:40:39 PM »
get those meow 1/2aa to cr adapters. and never get battery bombs again. #onebadbatteryspoilsthewholebunch