Author Topic: Data network between macOS and Mac OS 9  (Read 2090 times)

Offline V.Yakob

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac User
Data network between macOS and Mac OS 9
« on: December 27, 2022, 09:12:39 AM »
After installing Mac OS 9, many beginners and not only have a quite natural question: How to connect a common network directory with applications and games?
I know that there is a detailed recommendation for Linux, but I was interested in solving several options for this problem using Mac.

I'll share my experience.

The original cheat sheet is written in Russian, the translator built into macOS 13 was used for translation, so there may be some misunderstandings. If anything, write your suggestions for correction.
It will be published later in Russian, I will add a link.

Password to read the document: macos9lives

P.S.
I thank FBz for reviewing the first draft of this cheat sheet.
PPC — PM 8100/80, PM 9600/300, PM G3 Minitower (Rev. C), PM G3 B&W (Rev. B), PM G4 Quicksilver (2002), PM G4 MDD (2003), PM G5 (Late 2005).
Intel — Mac mini (mid 2010), iMac 5k (2017), Mac mini (2018).
AppleSilicon — Mac mini (2020), Mac Studio M2 Max + Apple Studio Display.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Data network between macOS and Mac OS 9
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »
This is an excellent guide !

It is so unfortunate, that at this point, many options are not very easy for beginners that may not have a foundation in network technologies and protocols.  A cheap external NAS box may be a better alternative, but will still require some knowledge of which protocols to use for each client OS and what to activate on the NAS.

If I get time, I will work on a "pre-configured" Virtual BOX image of NT server or Windows 2000 Server since they include strong support for Macintosh clients by supporting the Apple File Protocol (AFP) as a native networking protocol choice.  Thus, it will be extremely easy to create shares in the Virtual machine and connect to the machine with OS9 or early versions of OSX. 

The only caveat, is that the free Virtual box network card should be configured to "bridged" (this will basically put the virtual machine on the same IP scheme as your router and give you access to all items on your physical network).  As an added bonus, if the machine itself has dual NIC cards (Like a Mac Pro) you can use one NIC for the Mac Pro and configure Virtual box to use the other;  I cannot tell you how much faster the Network stacks operate in this configuration.  My Win7 Pro Virtual box machine attaches to 2 separate servers and is as fast as real PCs on my work network, of course I can also print to all IP network printers.

Sorry for those not savvy in networking, I think Virtual box may be a better alternative for modern macs since you can download a "pre-made" image with a working older OS that already has the bells and whistles built in

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 10:30:18 AM »
love the idea of images ready to set up once you get your vintage mac restored with everything included
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »
I used Hotline Server/Hotline client setup at one of the studios (classical) I was babying to transfer larg-ish amounts of data between Mac and PC many moons ago. WAV files mostly, so there were no problems with resource forks.
Mac (PM9600) was running OS 7.6.1, PC had Win98 at a time. Server was on a Mac side, Win machine had client. HL 1.2.3. Worked like a charm and was fast (!).
Given the number of HL clients still available today, I can't imagine why it shouldn't work even now. Put an alias of your games/whatever folder or the whole drive in 'downloads', make every user 'admin' and away you go.
It might even be easier for novice users than dealing with command line. My customers back then were elderly gentlemen, so ease of use was of utmost importance.

https://hotline.fandom.com/wiki/Clients
https://hotline.fandom.com/wiki/Servers
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:10:15 PM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »
By the way, who cares, this thing can be useful, it’s not expensive now, and it’s a pity that there is no RAID, otherwise this is a good vendor-level solution

RackMount Lacie 1tb ethernet disk 300963

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 02:14:50 PM »
I used Hotline Server/Hotline client setup at one of the studios (classical) I was babying to transfer larg-ish amounts of data between Mac and PC many moons ago. WAV files mostly, so there were no problems with resource forks.
Mac (PM9600) was running OS 7.6.1, PC had Win98 at a time. Server was on a Mac side, Win machine had client. HL 1.2.3. Worked like a charm and was fast (!).
Given the number of HL clients still available today, I can't imagine why it shouldn't work even now. Put an alias of your games/whatever folder or the whole drive in 'downloads', make every user 'admin' and away you go.
It might even be easier for novice users than dealing with command line. My customers back then were elderly gentlemen, so ease of use was of utmost importance.

https://hotline.fandom.com/wiki/Clients
https://hotline.fandom.com/wiki/Servers

This is a very good idea, in general, in my opinion, now is the time to revive the "fashion" for HOTLINE and KDX, and I'm surprised why this forum does not have its own hotline server, or is it? I just don't know about it)

Offline V.Yakob

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac User
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 03:13:39 AM »
It will be published later in Russian, I will add a link.
As promised, link to the cheat sheet in Russian.
PPC — PM 8100/80, PM 9600/300, PM G3 Minitower (Rev. C), PM G3 B&W (Rev. B), PM G4 Quicksilver (2002), PM G4 MDD (2003), PM G5 (Late 2005).
Intel — Mac mini (mid 2010), iMac 5k (2017), Mac mini (2018).
AppleSilicon — Mac mini (2020), Mac Studio M2 Max + Apple Studio Display.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 03:51:19 AM »
Given the number of HL clients still available today

i prefer server/client systems, too, but of course it is not 100% the same as opening network adresses in the realms of ftp, dav, afp, directly with the finder.

those who are used to afp or nfs will love it to continue like that and include their mac studio into this setup.

unfortunately the winebottled kdx server lacks the desktop remote feature and is 140 mb long, otherwise it would be the only system which works on all macs plus windows and linux. (and of course kdx is not so funny on servers with multiple volumes.)

hotline somehow has survived over all the years and even exists for iOS.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 12:59:08 PM »