Author Topic: sleep works, wake takes a minute  (Read 1463 times)

Offline TheHappyHacker

• Valued Member
sleep works, wake takes a minute
« on: December 17, 2022, 07:40:42 AM »
When I put my Mac to sleep, it takes only a few seconds.

When I wake it back up, it only takes about five seconds to light up the screen and show the desktop - but all windows are empty and the clock still shows the time it went to sleep. After another minute, it finally repaints the window contents and updates the clock.

Is this normal behavior? Or does it indicate some sort of problem (for example, a hard disk that takes a minute to initialize)?
Power Macintosh G4 533 (Digital Audio) rescue
I told you I'm not a Mac expert and I'd have a lot of questions....

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Slow to Wake after Sleep?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 10:08:08 PM »
Normal?
Well yes… no… maybe.

If you’ve not yet removed that damaged sound port, it might still be looking for whatever “ghost device” it thinks is attached. This could take time & slow things down a bit. AND if you’ve set your sleep preferences (Energy Saver control panel?) to spin down your HD when sleeping AND if you’ve an older 5400 RPM conventional drive (or even a 7200 RPM)… well then there’s something else to consider. (Installing an SSD perhaps, instead.)

AND THEN there’s always unnecessary extensions and control panels that can be disabled or even removed (gasp!). Trim that fat! Here’s a useful thread dealing with such things as it relates to D.A.W. users - but also useful to others as a guide for some overall performance tweaking concerns.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,570.msg1467.html#msg1467

Pay particularly close attention to opening posts from MacTron & DieHard… and as per DieHard: “…if you are a Newbie to OS 9, when in doubt, don't turn off an extension unless you are sure you don't need it”. Other contributors to that thread also make some very good points. Read thoroughly.

Here’s a more generic version from DieHard (similar but less D.A.W related?).
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2765.msg17153.html#msg17153

AND always close all apps that you may have running in the background - BEFORE sleep. Wonderful machines that you can have many apps open & running at the same time - but when done with one, close it / quit it, before opening another (and especially before putting the machine to sleep).

Typically around here, I never Sleep my OS 9 machines. I will power down my monitor sometime - but for the most part, OS 9 machines here are workstations and when there’s no work being done… they’re completely powered down. ;)