Author Topic: OS 9 classic with logic 4.1.5 no native sound  (Read 2440 times)

Offline John Hill

OS 9 classic with logic 4.1.5 no native sound
« on: November 14, 2022, 01:48:38 PM »
Has anyone got this ver. of logic to produce sound out of a g5 dual power pc without an external or internal additional soundcard. The software works fine, I can export wav, aiif files etc, I just cant hear them. Why do I want to ???? well ......Old logic files from ver 2.6, can be read on logic ver.4, including the old form SD2 split stereo files, they can then be exported to the current ver. of logic on a modern apple computer. Than allows 25 years of forward capability of logic audio , audio and midi files.......I think that is pretty cool. I just cant hear them until I export the session or waves. Cheers

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: OS 9 classic with logic 4.1.5 no native sound
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 02:48:26 PM »
doesnt logic support "soundmanager" or "system" as output? for example for use with built-in speakers?

"ASIO soundmanager" or EASI soundmanager(?) will not be enough and they wont work in CE.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline John Hill

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 04:47:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply.....yes one can select internal speakers in the system preferences, but on booting up logic it says " Error code 28479 was returned by mac AV driver'                I have looked but cant find that error code. ??? .

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
On my Mac Pro Tower with High sierra I just tried Logic 4.6 in QEMU version 4.2 that supports virtual sound "Screamer" version, for those not familiar find QEMU here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6043.0.html

Unfortunately, all the versions of QEMU that have sound need Mac OS 9.2.2 to have Virtual memory "ON" for sound to function correctly and Logic, just like Cubase needs Virtual memory set to "OFF" in OS 9 to work.  In my test, Logic installed and loaded, but then overloaded when trying to play a project with sound :(

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »
if you listen to a rendered result while you render the next one already, you loose almost no time.

;)

Offline John Hill

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 05:00:44 PM »
Thanks DieHard and IIO. yes  it doesnt take that much time..but its a nuisance and I often render  faulty copies of audio file, to audition in real time would be optimal...anyway thanks

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 05:30:07 PM »
they can then be exported to the current ver. of logic on a modern apple computer *shudder*
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 05:35:01 PM »
Thanks DieHard and IIO. yes  it doesnt take that much time..but its a nuisance and I often render  faulty copies of audio file, to audition in real time would be optimal...anyway thanks

In theory, I think that a fully functioning version of Logic Platinum 4.6.2 or Logic platinum 4.8.1 is possible via emulation
on a modern mac, like a mac pro or on a G5 PPC with Sheep Shaver:

https://sheepshaver.cebix.net/

Then our Logic Anthology with Dongle Emulator:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,811.0.html

The reason I never dove too deep into sheep Shaver is that all the versions of CuBase I wanted to run needed Mac OS 9.1 or Mac OS 9.2.2 and Sheep Shaver peaks out at Mac OS 9.0.4; that being said, emagic Logic Platnum 5 needs Mac OS 9.1 or greater, but I think emagic Logic Platinum 4 series with run on 9.0.4, so, with sheep shaver and our logic anthology, I think a fully working image can be made.  I already tested the Logic Dongle Emulator in QEMU, so I know it loads, and LP 4.6.2 loads,
so we need someone to try a sheep Shaver setup and report back.

Lastly, I never tried it, but supposedly the "Prosoniq ASIO Sound Manager for Classic mode" works with sheepshaver, and thus may open up all sorts of old DAW software via sheep shaver:
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11039

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:13:52 AM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 09:09:24 AM »
sonicWORX, Mac OS 9, sheepshaver = 500ms latency

Yes, that was expected.  USB passthru to a "real" interface would be the ticket, but I never got that to happen in QEMU, lord knows I tried, HOWEVER...

This is still an amazing accomplishment for those that have legacy project backups and are NOT going to buy legacy macs.  If we can confirm logic loads (even with high latency), then projects can get loaded and transferred in a more modern mac.   

I tried to do this via CuBase via emulation and no good for Mac VST 5, so I and ended up...

1) Running Cubase SL on Mac OS Tiger (Using Parallels)

2) using parallels (with sound working) and loading old Mac CuBase VST 5 .sng and .arr in a a virtual Win7 32 bit machine with Cubase SE3 for PC (no dongle needed) then saving them as .CPR 

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5935.0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:54:35 AM by DieHard »

Offline John Hill

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »
Thanks to all for your considered assistance. I have always had a shed full of vintage macs, various models and eras, so never needed to muck around with sheepshaver , maybe now is the time to give it a try. Cheers

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 04:48:28 AM »
where the prosonic driver works with qemu, it should also work in the classic enviroment. (it once was made for PPC after all)

so in case the logic version remains a problem in emus, just stay in classic.