Author Topic: Best portable device capable of running Classic Mac OS?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline VictorTheVictor

• Newcomer
Best portable device capable of running Classic Mac OS?
« on: November 13, 2022, 05:33:55 PM »
Hello, I was thinking of buying a PowerPC based Mac laptop recently to play around with, and to truly experience the pre X Mac system. I want to set up Mac OS 9.2.2 and dual boot it with Leopard (I want to re-experience an OS I used as a kid too), what would be my best choice of hardware. Best as in getting the most power while being able to run Classic Mac OS. I was thinking of the PowerBook G4, but I'm not a 100% certain whether it can run Classic Mac OS and whether it would even have any drivers. What is my best course of action? How much should I even try to ask for such a laptop? On the Wikipedia page it says that the Late 2002 ones can't exactly run 10.0, which I would also like to try on a spare disk (I have a lot of disks I can use if dual booting  is impossible).

Offline ancient

• Newcomer
Re: Best portable device capable of running Classic Mac OS?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 09:15:58 PM »
if you want one the last native boot laptops from apple your probably talking a powerbook g4 titanium.

or if you want a newer g4 1.33 al laptop with some fiddling, follow this guide

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4841.0.html

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 03:46:45 AM »
1.0ghz powerbook ti
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 10:24:40 AM »
Most features will work, a few won't, but worth reading...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3912.0.html