Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > Vision & Studio Vision by Opcode

Vision Software - Recover Old Compositions I Need Help!

(1/2) > >>

Meadowbrook:
Hello,

I am so happy to find this forum!  I am new to forums, please forgive me if I don't follow proper etiquette. 

I wrote a great deal of music using Vision and then stopped writing for years, and in the meantime everything changed.  I have tried to recover the pieces, and have been only partially successful.  I have the original files and many of the installation disks.  Several years ago I found a kind soul in Mpls. who had an old computer, but we couldn't get the right version to open with my installation disks.  I think because I had the install on a disk, I thought I would never again need the floppies, and I threw them out, years ago. His computer would not load the latest version, just the previous that needed the floppies. 

I think the best thing to do would be to acquire an old computer and open them up here - not to play them with all my old hardware orchestral synths, but at least to see the original piano roll notes.  That would be an enormous help.  I got the files transferred to SMF by a studio in LA, but they are a bit scrambled, and I can't quite tell what is what. 

I am 68, and feel that my compositions were of some value, and in any case I loved them and want to recover them.  Can anyone help? 

Thank you so much for reading through this,

David

smilesdavis:
the old floppy disaster. next step people took was throwing away the mac when the hdd died.

glad you joined and i hope you find the answers you are looking for

try sheepshaver, its an emulator, and is perfect for recovering software only files from old projects

https://sheepshaver.cebix.net/

chokobo:
Hi David,

Last year I was able to get out some old machines, and do some migration much like you are suggesting. I've kept most my machines. I have them going back to 1984. But I didn't have access to all of them, or some of them need repairs.

Getting an old machine to help in this effort is a good idea, but which one to get will depend on your floppies. If you have 400k floppies you'll need a 68K Mac of some sort. If you have 800k floppies then it is much easier. Most machines that will run OS9 can read 800k floppies.

It's fine that you no longer have install disks. All of the soft you need is on this site, or others. You can download the soft, and install it on your machine, with no copy protection.

The problem with SMF files is that if you didn't properly prep your Vision files you are going to lose data that may be important (as you've seen). Things like track names, tracks that were set to the same midi channel will get merged. Plenty of things to mess you up.

Vision will run fine in SheepShaver. I used SheepShaver running on my G5 to make some of this easier to do, but I also set up a number of older OS machines. The newest of which is a G4 with OS9, and it could not read the 400k floppies, so I needed an 68K machine with OS7 (I forget which version, but it wasn't the most recent). So if you can get your files to a newer machine then you can run Vision in SheepShaver.

Then move things around in Vision so that when you save things out to SMF files they make sense.

This is a tedious process, but it works. :)

robespierre:

--- Quote from: chokobo on November 13, 2022, 02:51:43 AM ---The newest of which is a G4 with OS9, and it could not read the 400k floppies, so I needed an 68K machine with OS7 (I forget which version, but it wasn't the most recent).

--- End quote ---
Just a note, but no factory G4 Mac has a built-in floppy disk drive. Only built-in floppy drives are capable of reading 800KB Mac disks with Apple's proprietary GCR encoding. USB floppy drives cannot read them.

The last machines with built-in floppy drives were the "Gossamer" Power Mac G3 and the "Wallstreet/PDQ" Powerbook G3, both from 1998.

400KB floppy disks are like 800KB disks only written on one side. These are not common since they have been obsolete since January 1986. Vision wasn't released until 1989.

smilesdavis:
thats why you get yourself a SmartDisk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version