Author Topic: Generic USB Midi driver on an iMac G3?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline nicoleh1999

• Newcomer
  • Just a simple girl in a high-tech digital world
Generic USB Midi driver on an iMac G3?
« on: November 01, 2022, 03:51:04 PM »
I have recently setup OMS 2.3.8 on my iMac (summer 2000 *no firewire*) but I've run into a bit of a pickle. My midi controller is about as generic as you get. it was only $10 and is just a simple cable that goes from the midi ports on the keyboard straight to usb. it works fine with windows XP, but i have no idea where i'd begin to look for finding some sort of Mac driver for it (if if one exists) Wondering if anyone knew a way I could get something like that to work with the iMac  :)
Imagine if Max Martin used an iMac instead of a Power Macintosh.....

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Generic USB Midi driver on an iMac G3?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 06:24:11 PM »
class compliant (devicedriver-less) midi does not exist in OS9, only class compliant audio works most of the time.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 06:39:19 PM »
2022 it is time to hack a working driver (Edirol-MAudio-Motu) to use the generic cheap ones
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:40:12 PM »
There is a OMS USBMIDI Extension that should have been installed in System Extensions.
Take a look and see if it's there and active - not in the disabled file.
If you used the OMS Installer, you should have it. If you didn't, here's one you can try.

Note: This is a crapshoot anyway… you might get lucky but no guarantees. It will definitely cause OMS to at least look for a USB interface, but whether or not it starts working……?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 01:30:36 PM »
I have recently setup OMS 2.3.8 on my iMac (summer 2000 *no firewire*) but I've run into a bit of a pickle. My midi controller is about as generic as you get. it was only $10 and is just a simple cable that goes from the midi ports on the keyboard straight to usb. it works fine with windows XP, but i have no idea where i'd begin to look for finding some sort of Mac driver for it (if if one exists) Wondering if anyone knew a way I could get something like that to work with the iMac  :)

There is hardware solution: https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/
Also also needing normal MIDI ports that works with Mac OS 9 something like that:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,280.0.html
or this:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,362.0.html

It works like this: your keyboard to Kenton and then normal midi cables to your Mac midiports.

But! There can be software solution that is not tested yet. I don't think that it is tested every midi drivers that found for USB-MIDI devices for Mac OS 9. Some of those can be class compliant. If you test then come here to tell what works or not.