Author Topic: White XSKey not recognized for Logic 5/6  (Read 4268 times)

Offline imacj

• Valued Member
White XSKey not recognized for Logic 5/6
« on: October 30, 2022, 07:11:41 PM »
Hello. I recently purchased (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6556.0.html) a Logic 7 White XSKey in hopes of running older Logic versions (5 and 6).

Trying anything other than Logic Pro 7 (like Logic 5 Platinum), Logic fails to find the XSKey. I am a bit baffled as it finds it under Logic Pro 7.

When I run XSKey Manager 1.6 under OS X 10.4, it says "No XSKey found!". Running under OS 9 says I need an XS Key Driver. I cannot seem to find this driver anywhere.

Digging around a bit, I found a link tying back to Apple with a download to an XSKey Driver. However, Wayback Machine does not have this file saved, and just searching the file finds nothing.

https://duc.avid.com/archive/index.php/t-163905.html

I've also ran the XSKey updater with an internet connection and had no luck. Says my XSKey is fully functional. I had suspected it not to try and update, I don't even know if the servers are still up and running. I know they shut the registration XSKey servers down a long time ago.

Under System Profiler, it says the firmware version is 0.01. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be higher, but I thought I'd mention that.

Posting because of this:

1) Logic Pro 7.2.3 running on OSX Tiger 10.4.3 or higher for PPC Mac or Tiger 10.4.4 Intel Mac

2) The XSKey will run everything from Logic 4.8 to 7.2.3 but for version 4.8 (OS9 Only) you will need to make sure you have the special XSKey driver installed.

3) Logic Pro 8 & 9 use just a Serial Number

4) Logic Pro X use Mac App store receipt

5) Buy the White Apple XSKeys as they have all Emagic Products authorized ;D the older Emagic blue version of the XSKey are a cap shoot, who knows what you will get since the owner had to buy all the additional products separately

The White XSKey's are supposed to work under Logic 4.8-7, but for some reason, I can't get it to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions in hopes to get this working?

Cheers!

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
Re: White XSKey not recognized for Logic 5/6
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 01:03:48 AM »
find a blue key
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline imacj

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 01:07:00 AM »
find a blue key

I shouldn't need to use a blue Emagic key, and those are harder to come across. There's also the unknown of what is licensed on them.

I feel like this is a driver/device issue that I'm not seeing with the White XSKey.

Offline hoovers@dawn

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 05:56:32 PM »
hey mate ive attached the xskey driver.. install it & see what is authorised...

G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz magma7 TDM rack mix++++++ 3x888/24, running Os9.22 Emagic  “Logic Pro 6.5.0 developer release”.... Sounddiver 3 & plenty of outboard hardware.....

Offline hoovers@dawn

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 06:00:21 PM »
also make sure there is the xskey in the "system" > "extensions" folder...

let me know how you go  8)
G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz magma7 TDM rack mix++++++ 3x888/24, running Os9.22 Emagic  “Logic Pro 6.5.0 developer release”.... Sounddiver 3 & plenty of outboard hardware.....

Offline hoovers@dawn

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 08:34:44 PM »
i also forgot.....  I have 2 Apple White XS keys retail & academic & both of them only have demo authorising for version 5...

... so Download the version 6 from the download section & maybe try that?

Offline imacj

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 05:30:24 AM »
Putting the driver in the extensions folder makes Mac OS 9 freeze on startup. I'll try installing Logic 6 later today.

Offline hoovers@dawn

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 11:10:31 PM »
Make sure the “usbxskey “ extension is in the extensions folder even the xskey manager needs this to see the dongle...  8)

Offline hoovers@dawn

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 12:43:50 AM »
Make sure the “usbxskey “ extension is in the extensions folder even the xskey manager needs this to see the dongle...  8)

Offline vectrex

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 01:44:27 AM »
Bought the same key from the same seller.

Works great for me. Tested with a full install of Logic 6 and XSKEY 1.6, verified in the separate app and in the internal app test in the system menu, all apps loading correctly and fully,

Functionality also verified with another white key I have. Both are fully enabled.

Must be something with the way you have things set up.

** using OS 9 ** haven't verified anything in OS X.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 08:10:30 AM »
What model number does it say on your box?
Do all white keys unlock all the logic extensions incl host tdm enabler etc?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline imacj

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 03:39:17 PM »
Update for everyone:

It's been a while since I last posted (or even tried to get this to work), but I gave it one last try. To my amazement, I got it to work. I used a copy of Logic 5 from here https://www.macintoshrepository.org/1851-logic-platinum-5 and installed it without the EXS24 plugin. Trying to install the plugin lead to errors. One restart later, opened up XS Key Manager 1.6, and... voila! I saw everything authorized! Logic 5 fired right up. I am not sure why I was having so much trouble before.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Cheers

Offline chrisNova777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 03:35:20 AM »
was the XS Key Manager 1.6 included with that install and not with the installs from this site?

Offline imacj

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 05:09:36 AM »
I don't remember it being included with Logic. I could be wrong. I used the one that hoovers@dawn provided.

Offline ohtakajacky2

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2023, 10:58:48 AM »
I have uploaded XS Key Manager 1.6 here. It was in my old Mac G4. Contains versions for OS 9 and OS X.