Author Topic: What's a .sea file?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline krieg000

What's a .sea file?
« on: October 29, 2022, 04:54:51 PM »
Hey,

I'm very new to running Mac OS9. I want to use .sea files but can't. It tells me that "the document cannot be opened because the application program that created it cannot be found". Is there any way to make these files functional?

A bit about myself--i'm 17 and recently dug up my parent's 20-year-old iBook G4 that has both a OSX Tiger bootable drive and a OS9.2.2 bootable drive. I got the internet to work through a cable modem, and just joined this forum to see what I could download. I'm specifically interested to see what I can do with DAWs (if there is a version of FL studio that can run on OS9, please let me know). I'm not running classic mode and am using the bootable drive proper.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: What's a .sea file?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 05:29:38 PM »
.sea files are "Self Extracting Archives", basically a compressed file with a program to decompress it is embedded into the file. Usually that error means that it's lost it's file type attributes (kind of like the OS9 equivalent to a file type extension)
Sometimes it can be fixed by using ResEdit to change the file type to an application, but also sometimes it just means the file is corrupt.
I'm sure some of the other guys will be able to provide additional insights and info.
Welcome!
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 07:38:22 PM »
while it is a standalone, it should also open when you drag it onto the stuffit unpacker.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline krieg000

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 06:16:17 AM »
while it is a standalone, it should also open when you drag it onto the stuffit unpacker.

Thanks! Got it to work.