Author Topic: RME Digi Set Up Ideas  (Read 2870 times)

Offline nateman831

• Valued Member
RME Digi Set Up Ideas
« on: October 24, 2022, 04:00:51 PM »
So I just acquired a batch of RME cards. I'm interested in figuring out what to keep and what to sell. 

In that vein, I wanted to get input on which cards would be most useful to hold onto in order to preserve useful options for playback and recording... The goal is to keep as few as possible while preserving the greatest utility...

The cards I have are:

(2) RME Digi 96/8 Pad
(2) RME Digi 96/8 Pro
(1) Word Clock Module Mk II
(3) RME AEB4-I (input expansion)
(1) RME AEB4-O (output expansion)
Plus cables to connect the cards

Unfortunately no breakout cable, but I'm considering looking for one.

I plan on keeping at least 1 PAD as that seems to be the high end card.
I may hold onto one each of the output and inout expansion cards for those options.
I'm still somewhat confused about how to properly use the Word Clock Module.

I've been researching all of this for a little while, and will continue to do so, but since this forum has people with lots of experience here, I wanted to get some input as well...

Thanks!

MDD, FW400, 1.25 DP, 2 GB RAM
MDD, FW 800 1.42 DP, 2 GB RAM
Mac Mini G4 1.5 Ghz, 1 GB RAM

Offline nateman831

• Valued Member
Re: RME Digi Set Up Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 11:12:18 AM »
To add some more specific questions:

Would 4 channels of inputs be considered sort of the minimum of a simple recording setup - thereby allowing you to record L/R for vocals at the same time as L/R of an instrument?

The input expansion cards are "limited" to 24/48 - which might not be that big a deal. However the main cards themselves are 24/96 capable.

So perhaps I'd like to run two of the main cards in parallel for enough channels? Would I need the Word Clock Module for using two cards in parallel? Or is the WCM used for other devices?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:04:48 PM by nateman831 »

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 12:09:24 AM »
Nobody can tell you have many channels you need. What do you want to do? If all you're recording is a synth with one output, then all you need is one channel. I don't think anyone records (solo) vocals in stereo. Most instruments are mono too, except synths. Unless you're really trying to capture the space you're in, in which case you probably want stereo - but unless you're recording in a church or concert hall, you aren't. Quite the opposite, actually.

I don't worry about sample rates myself. But really, just trust yourself. Record something and listen to it. Are you happy with it? Don't lean on what people on the internet say.

Offline nateman831

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 06:48:40 AM »
As far as I can tell, word clocks are typically used for larger setups, not simple ones? Would that be a good generalization?

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 08:10:04 AM »
Every DAC or ADC has a word clock (the moments in time that it samples), but they are typically internally sourced. You would only need to synchronize the word clocks of multiple devices in case you have a signal chain that goes through them and their ADCs must not have any jitter between them.
For example, let's say you have an outboard effects unit like a Quadraverb with S/PDIF output into your DAW, and also use the analog ins of the DAW for additional tracks in the same recording. Since there are two separate ADCs that are part of the same signal chain, synchronizing their word clocks will prevent jitter.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 11:22:20 AM »
Wordclock is only really needed if you're connecting devices over digital connection (adat, spdif etc) otherwise it's not of any real concern. And even then, usually those signals can be synced to.
Long and short of it, if you're not sure you need it, you probably dont
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 04:28:31 PM »
like robespierre says, synchronisation is only useful if you use the devices in a serial setup - otherwise it could even be good if interfaces are not in sync.

but as far i can see the main purpose has not been mentioned yet: you also use clock IO to connect an external clock - one which is of a better quality than the one in your interface.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline nateman831

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 04:59:38 PM »
You bring up an interesting point...

I'd heard of this before - and actually I'd be curious to know more about it.

Any idea whether there are any relatively inexpensive external word clocks that could improve upon RME's own internal one?

(The word clock module uses BNC for external connections)

Offline nateman831

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 06:10:16 PM »
The inexpensive modern version seems to be the Black Lion Audio Micro Clock Mk II AT $300 (or less used)

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »
You can sometimes get Apogee Big Bens in that price range. Think I paid 350 for mine
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 07:22:21 PM »
the PCI based RME cards are said to be one of the best interfaces with OS9 drivers and i dont think you can improve it much with a big ben. but it can also not hurt to have one around.

i have 7 motu interfaces and i have recently thought of a clock, too, but for my application/setup this kind of converter quality is not required.
insert arbitrary signature here