Author Topic: VST directory for Os9  (Read 1875 times)

Offline johunsucker901

VST directory for Os9
« on: October 09, 2022, 03:05:13 PM »
Hello,

How do I locate the vst directory for os9? And where do I install vst plugins?
I know on OS X, the directory is /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST, but I’m having a hard time locating that folder on os9. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m new to os9.
Thanks

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: VST directory for Os9
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 03:15:37 PM »
Typically in OS9 the DAW application had a VST folder in it's application directory. Which back in those days meant you could end up with multiple vst directories on your hard drive. The concept of a central location for audio plugins hadn't really caught on yet.
However, you could make your own, and create aliases which you then use to replace the vst plugins directory in your DAW folder to make it easier to manage
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline johunsucker901

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 05:40:29 AM »
Okay, so if I download the Soundhack os9 versions from their website I would then put those VST’s in the directory under the Pro Tools free folder in applications?

Thanks for the reply

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 05:42:54 AM »
like refinery said the majority of host applications use each their own folder in OS9 - and they doesnt even let you choose another one or rename it.

in opposite to MAS, RTAS, TDM, which have a fixed path in the system extensions folder.

a good strategy is to define one of your programs your "main" program and install everything there, so that everything is in the same folder. if you need the plug-in elsewhere, you then make a copy of it for the other app (and not only move it)

i for example had multiple copies of cubase installed back in the days, of which one was dedicated to "all plug-ins installed", one for development, and one for mastering and mixing.

(since i am max user i dont care much about install locations, i use mosty drag and drop or have my stuff beeing automatically preloaded. :) )
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline johunsucker901

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 08:50:48 PM »
Copy that, wasn’t surprised to find the Vst situation wasn’t as plug and play on os9 as modern computers. But there seems to be some cool os9 only vst plugins I’d like to try

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 04:10:32 AM »
fixed locations such as in windows or OSX are also not a perfect solution, only total freedom is. :)
insert arbitrary signature here