Author Topic: How to silence a G4?  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
How to silence a G4?
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:04:38 AM »
I isolate all of my computers in another room so I have a dead silent studio. However now I'm in a predicament... I'm going to get an older Pro Tools Mix system and the maximum length of the 888|24 interface cable is 15 feet.

This means - whether I like it or not - the computer is now going into the studio. So now my job is to silence the G4.

I'm probably going to need to replace the fan on the power supply or the power supply altogether, and I'll also probably need to buy or build a silencing case for it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm all ears.

supernova777

Re: How to silence a G4?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
which g4 model do u have..

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »
The 1.25 MDD single core.

http://coolstuff.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/powermac-g4-mdd-cooling-and-noise-reduction/

The article is about a dual 1ghz but I think this applies to all MDD towers. There are 3 fans to replace, two being from the power supply. It's about a $40 upgrade.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=644.msg1843#msg1843

see this post , response from diehard
re: http://www.splefty.com/G4mod/

if its loud.. its the fans in the power supply that are the culprit
i fixed mine by replacing these fans
i think they are 60mm or 80mm
i forget the exact size

once u replace these fans its no more noisey then a new modern pc
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:49:36 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
I isolate all of my computers in another room so I have a dead silent studio. However now I'm in a predicament... I'm going to get an older Pro Tools Mix system and the maximum length of the 888|24 interface cable is 15 feet.

This means - whether I like it or not - the computer is now going into the studio. So now my job is to silence the G4.

I'm probably going to need to replace the fan on the power supply or the power supply altogether, and I'll also probably need to buy or build a silencing case for it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm all ears.
Keep the computer in the machine room. Use a quieter computer in your room with vnc
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »

Keep the computer in the machine room. Use a quieter computer in your room with vnc
I would suggest to use DA or QS instead of MDD
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:09:39 AM »
I disconnected the lead from the mobo, the culprit introducing RF static in the audio. I also run just the main CPU fan on 7 volts (+12 and +5 leads) constant speed from one of the drive connectors.I threw my MDD cases away.... three MDD boards are trussed together as a zigurat so air circulates freely around them. They run extremely cool.

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »
I disconnected the lead from the mobo, the culprit introducing RF static in the audio. I also run just the main CPU fan on 7 volts (+12 and +5 leads) constant speed from one of the drive connectors.I threw my MDD cases away.... three MDD boards are trussed together as a zigurat so air circulates freely around them. They run extremely cool.

you threw your mdd cases away ? ???  :o
and combined 3 mdds? say what? ???