Author Topic: Digidesign Hardware  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Digidesign Hardware
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »
I use an RME Multiface and it works well. I've never used Pro Tools before but from what I can gather, Pro Tools makes their own PCI cards which have some Motorola chips on it for audio processing.

I read somewhere that there's basically 0 latency when using a Pro Tools rig and I'm guessing that's because of the PCI cards handling the processing and not your native CPU. Now whether the processing is for just D/A and A/D conversion, or just plugins processing, or both, and whether the plugin processing feature is available only for Pro Tools and not Logic I'm unsure.

Would there be any benefit as far as latency/speed of getting some older Pro Tools hardware for use in Logic? If there's no benefit of that, and I could only get the benefit by using Pro Tools, then maybe I could run a hybrid Logic/Pro Tools setup so I can compose in Logic, then mix in Pro Tools.

But maybe there's no benefit at all. Someone give me the lowdown  -afro-
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:32:09 PM by Syntho »

supernova777

Re: Digidesign Hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »
im not an expert but i know both logic + digital performer can use pro tools hardware natively
whether its DAE or TDM or directsound
theres different audio driver models with pt..
i know logic has some tdm support buillt in

from lookijng at :
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/450221-digidesign-avid-drops-apple-logic-tdm-support.html
 it seems if u stay below pt 8.01 u should be good to support DAE or TDM with logic

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=414.0 - just found this. It looks like I've got some reading/research to do!

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:32:20 AM »
I think I need to do some research on Pro Tools and Digidesign hardware before I look at the Logic stuff. I know that Logic 6 supports Pro Tools stuff now, so now I just need to find out what TDM and DAE are, and figure out the thing about how the processing is handled. I read in SOS just now that you can switch from the cards doing processing for 'mixing' or 'processing', so it looks like the Pro Tools stuff does indeed speed things up.

I'm gonna look for a guide on all of this...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 03:46:16 AM »
That article says TDM for OSX. I wonder if the OS9 update got it too?

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 03:54:47 AM »
That article says TDM for OSX. I wonder if the OS9 update got it too?

tdm support originated on os 9 only i would assume,
hence the articles premise for announcing that this functionality has now
been extended to "the new standard" osx

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
IIRC there's support for DAE audio (digidesign hardware) in Logic 4. Might be just the audio stuff and not the plugins, but it's there allright. I used a Digidesign Project II card and a 882 interface back in the day with Logic Audio Platinum 4.7.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today