Author Topic: Powermac G4 MDD 9.2.2 Install help  (Read 1920 times)

Offline ScottC2022

• Enthusiast Member
Powermac G4 MDD 9.2.2 Install help
« on: September 04, 2022, 07:12:17 AM »
Hi,
I have tried various ways to install the Universal 9.2.2 - I have an MDD with 2GB Ram and two 120GB HDs and ATI 9200 64MB
I tried first the software restore on the cd but it just keeps saying Cannot get some applications to quit
I then tried copying the files to one of my hd's (Formatted Extended with the os9 drivers in the disk tool but when i boot off it it just shows a disk with a ? mark
I also tried booting of the cd but it goes to the screen showing starting up and then when the bar reaches the end the screen goes blank

Any ideas on these?
Kind regards
Scott

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: MDD 9.2.2 Install help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:33:27 AM »
Is your MDD a FW 400 or FW 800 model?

Insert the Universal installer CD in your already booted MDD.

Then shut it down with the CD still inserted.

Now restart by pressing the power button while also holding down the Option key.

Select the OS 9.2.2 CD from the screen when the choice becomes available.

IF it won’t boot from the CD in this manner, you’ve problems.

However if it does boot from the CD, format and partition whichever "targeted" drive you intend to install to and then install OS 9.2.2.

Could be a “bad burn” Universal installer disc or a number of other things - but try the above and report back. (Especially if you’ve a FW 800 MDD.) ;)

Offline ScottC2022

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Powermac G4 MDD 9.2.2 Install help
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 11:15:36 AM »
still just a blank screen - i could try outputting it to another monitor and see if its a resolution problem,
The mouse makes a strange squeaking sound when i press it though!
If no luck then i'll try a burn at a lower speed to

Offline ScottC2022

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 12:07:57 PM »
Success - outputting it to my 43" Telly worked - looks like a resolution problem so I'll set it lower when finished for 9.2.2
I do have the Studio CRT (The last CRT made) and i would have though that would have been ok
Luckily i have dvi to hdmi adapter (And dvi to vga ones)
Always worth having loads of adapters!
I'll let you know if it boots ok once done :)

Offline ScottC2022

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 12:17:21 PM »
All installed and booted well - resolution was set at 1280x1024, so I have changed it to 1024x768 and will try on my apple monitor next :)

Offline ScottC2022

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 03:19:35 PM »
All working on Apple monitor now  :)

Quake2 is now running without the artefacts too so i've had a good play on that tonight,
occasionally when quitting the game you return to the desktop and it's corrupted but a quick press of the sleep button and then again to wake seems to remedy that,

A few questions below:

Should i install a 9200 driver? I can see it looks like a 8500 in the extensions folder

Are there any programs worth updating or does the universal have latest of everything?

My USB disk though wouldn't connect - it asked me about formatting? Are there any fat32/ntfs drivers i can install?

I now have an airport, it does work but i need to turn my hotspot security off, i have seen some pci airport extreme compatible cards on ebay/amazon, is it worth getting one of those? I guess that will work out of box with 10.4.11 but will i need drivers for 9.2.2?