Author Topic: Sharing board for "greaseweazle" imaging technology (Flux images of Floppies)  (Read 3387 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Feel free to describe, share and post your floppy/diskette images here...

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
this is important before the last readable floppy dies. that the tech circumvents copy protection is a bonus...

http://www.softpres.org/games

we should put it in a list format like those guys

i can contribute a few but not all old audio software floppies . everyone should get a greaseweasle for 20 bucks and join in. mine is ordered
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline d97

• Enthusiast Member
(flux)Logic Audio Discovery 3 Authorization Disk
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 05:30:14 PM »
I don't have a way to test this one but I think it'll work.  I wasn't able to find a copy of Logic Audio Discovery 3.0 - it doesn't seem to be in the emagic archive on the board.  Having said this, for some reason it was able to authorize / deauthorize Logic Audio Discovery 1.x.  so that leads me to think it'll work.

Ultimately, I'm not sure how useful this disk will actually be considering that there are more featured versions of Logic available but it's been archived.

D.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 06:31:51 PM by d97 »

Offline d97

• Enthusiast Member
(flux)Logic Audio Gold 4.14
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 05:51:04 PM »
Nothing special about this one but it was in the disk box.  It's not an authorization disk or anything and I'm sure it's available on a CD somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 06:32:05 PM by d97 »

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
cant wait for the greaze to arrive
we need all audio floppies forensically stored for future gotek emulation before they all die.and they will die.do we need to bake a floppy like we did with analog tape?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
cant wait for the greaze to arrive
we need all audio floppies forensically stored for future gotek emulation before they all die.
Since copy protection depends on specific physical diskette properties it may not be possible to emulate in all cases.

do we need to bake a floppy like we did with analog tape?
I haven't read as many reports of it happening as with tape, but in theory the adhesive binder could depolymerize on a diskette the same way as it happens with tape. That would make the surface gummy and cause the magnetic head to drag, ripping the oxide off. Baking might help to stabilize the binder, but again there are few reports of this working.

Disk materials are different from tape in that the disk rotates inside a fabric sleeve. The fabric is intended to catch dust that makes its way onto the disk surface. On the other hand, if grit or sand gets into the disk envelope, the fabric traps it and it continues to scratch the disk. So if there is any sign of grit or any scratches visible in the media, you should open the envelope and replace the fabric (or transfer the media ["cookie"] into a new envelope).

Another way disks differ from tape is that they are lubricated because the head travels over and over against the same surface. After decades in storage, or after the media is cleaned, that lubrication will be gone which is not good. Data recovery people use a chemical called cyclomethicone as a lubricant to prevent damage and reduce read errors. It is very thin and a single drop will spread over the whole disk surface.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
we should put down an easy tutorial the floppy warrior brigade preventing the last audio floppies from extinction can folliw
1) greasewdazle
2) show problematic floppies here and we can offer suggestions

Offline d97

• Enthusiast Member
I'll write a few lines in the original thread about how I use the command line.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
if we use a spreadsheet sort of display here in the forum we can enter if copy protection could be circumvented or not

am i wrong that say we got every floppy image before the last one died collected we could somehow use a gotek to emulate them all not even having to use old floppies again?

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
if we use a spreadsheet sort of display here in the forum we can enter if copy protection could be circumvented or not

am i wrong that say we got every floppy image before the last one died collected we could somehow use a gotek to emulate them all not even having to use old floppies again?

tried with a cubase master disk (v4) no luck so far. ordered an imation maybe it doesnt work with pc floppies